Wiki Posts
Search

BA is too expensive ..

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by layz
Don't purchase lounge access in AMS! The pay per use lounges (Servisair I think) in AMS are awful and there's a lot of places to eat and drink in Schiphol so use your money in one of those. It's a pleasant enough space to spend a few hours if you avoid the contract lounges, it's certainly a lot nicer than LHR T3/T1.

The KLM lounges are OK, but I don't think you can pay to get in those. KLM allow FB silver (equiv to BA bronze) members to pay to get in, but if you have no KLM status then their lounges are out of bounds.
My traveling companion and I thank you for this advice.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by BOH
BA often are I'm afraid. My PA today priced up my regular LHR-VIE-LHR flight and BA were around £450 in Y and LH / OS were circa £290.
I was looking at BA flights on that route for next week and couldn't get anything for less than £550, and that was only by compromising on departure times. A lot of dimes for flying in economy.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci

I'm confused. Are tmac100 and tmac-100 one person or two people?
Old May 8, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Same for LHR <-> SFO

I've had a similar experience - was booking my quarterly work trips to SFO and BA was pricing out at over £2200 for WT for a same week return (no sat night) and this was months in advance, July looks just as bad.

UA were almost £1000 cheaper than this and that's including the upgrade to E+, just could not justify the BA flights at that price.

I have to admit, I was not looking forward to the UA flight as I've not flown anything other than BA TATL for about 12 years but with the exception of no lounge access (which, given the hot food enhancements is not such a major loss) & having to pay for a glass wine on board, it probably beat BA WT in all aspects.

T1 was very quiet and security was quicker that T5 fast track. Great seat pitch in E+, food was very decent and entertainment better in both choice and screen quality, I may have been lucky to get one of their newer 777s (3-3-3) and the UK based crew. Priority boarding & security could be pre-purchased for a nominal fee and paid upgrades to their business seat were available at check-in for $800 (i wasn't persuaded - the seat looked ok but the arrangement is definitely unusual).

Given I've just about renewed Silver on BA, UA is likely to get my business for the next few trips if they keep pricing out like that.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by lizban
As a new arrival to BA and One World - I find BA very expensive. I think there's an element of luck (or bad luck) as I generally got to SEA and BA seem to be quite weak in this area.

Clearly thier pricing works or they'd be bust.
Originally Posted by BOH
That's the key of course. They know their loads and what it will bear. Frustrating at times though when I would like to give BA my business but the cost difference is so big.

However they are clearly confident they will sell seats at a premium to others as an airline seat is the ultimate perishable commodity...they can't keep it in stock and sell it the next day.
Yes they (BA) maybe doing OK ...for now. But as perceived product differentiations disappear and in many cases trump their product, the pax that support it wil SLOWLY start departing, switching their loyalties.

When that is a SLOW process, most senior managers are either clueless or loath to accept the bitter truth. That is how & when BA (or any other business wakes up, ) often too late.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by HilFly

I'm confused. Are tmac100 and tmac-100 one person or two people?
Somehow one person subscribed with two different names - apparently in 2 different decades as well
Old May 8, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I find BA totally hit and miss.

Sometimes their TATL fares are astonishingly cheap when compared to other carriers, and then I'll check something like LHR-BUD and find that BA want £350rtn compared to £80rtn on the Orange Peril.

Swings and roundabouts.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BitPipe
I've had a similar experience - was booking my quarterly work trips to SFO and BA was pricing out at over £2200 for WT for a same week return (no sat night) and this was months in advance, July looks just as bad.
When there's no Saturday night stay involved, this is where you should look at bundling on a hotel or car via ba.com
Old May 8, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
When there's no Saturday night stay involved, this is where you should look at bundling on a hotel or car via ba.com
That was an awesome tip - July trip is now pricing out at £1200 !
Old May 8, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Friends don't let friends fly United (or something like that...)

And it's always worth checking the other cabins on that all in deal, too!
Old May 8, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Apples to Apples...

Where does UA line up ?

Does it require BA' hotel choices for the whole stay ?

Amazing you get more and price drops by 1000 GBP.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
erm, just like BA have 9 across in the 777? I think the pinch point is 10 across (as BA tried and then retreated from & KLM seem to have)
KLM have 10 across in the B777-300 and will also be putting 10 across in the -200 when they refit (currently 9). Econ Plus will stay at 9 abreast.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm flying lax-lhr one way first class for 62.5k miles and $329 fuel surcharges. I was able to get lower fuel surcharges booking last year and dummy leg to Milan.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
If you do book flight +hotel/car rental does anything happen if you don't turn up for the non flight portions
Old May 8, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Umm, no, the saving was 50%
of the BA price.

I was talking about the KL price!!!!

2 * KL = BA

(In price, in this case - not in general!!!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.