Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bare Feet in the Air

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:44 am

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Originally Posted by ukgooner

So instead of saying to offending person - "do you mind, thats awful" instead we say to our partner / ourself "Dorothy see whats going on over there, thats a disgrace - im going to take a secret pic then post it to an internet forum (and vent my spleen)'

As the author of the BoardingArea.com blog post above let me state this, as is stated in the post, the seatmate who is in the photo , and who lead to the blog post, was asked by the flight attendants more than six times to take his feet down. They would ask, he'd take his feet down, they'd walk away, he'd put his feet up. I asked him as well, and he did not take his feet down when asked. His feet them somehow, and I really cannot figure out how given seating configuration, then ended up on my seat's foot rest when he laid down to go to sleep.

I was less then secretive when I shot he photo. I placed an iProLens on my iPhone and aimed it directly at him in plain sight from the seat next to him. He raised an eye brow then went back to reading.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by sefrischling
As the author of the BoardingArea.com blog post above let me state this, as is stated in the post, the seatmate who is in the photo , and who lead to the blog post, was asked by the flight attendants more than six times to take his feet down. They would ask, he'd take his feet down, they'd walk away, he'd put his feet up. I asked him as well, and he did not take his feet down when asked. His feet them somehow, and I really cannot figure out how given seating configuration, then ended up on my seat's foot rest when he laid down to go to sleep.

I was less then secretive when I shot he photo. I placed an iProLens on my iPhone and aimed it directly at him in plain sight from the seat next to him. He raised an eye brow then went back to reading.
classic "me" pax. ukgooner's approach surely would have worked wonders with this person....
Old Aug 24, 2013, 1:01 am

So what do people think of putting a pully bag (spelling?) on the seat at the beginning and end of a flight to unpack and repack all their bits and pieces, in my case miles and miles of cables.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Poxball
So what do people think of putting a pully bag (spelling?) on the seat at the beginning and end of a flight to unpack and repack all their bits and pieces, in my case miles and miles of cables.
I don't have an issue with that, and have done myself, but would refrain from putting the wheels on the seat to prevent marking.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GFL, Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I have a real issue with feet, either bare, in socks or in shoes, being put against the bulkhead wall. I have seen one woman of pensionable age resting her shoed feet on the magazine rack-lets just hope she didn't walk in something soft on the pavement.
I notice one oddball regularly on the LHR-LUX route who likes to sit in 1D, remove his shoes and get the feet up level with his head on the bulkhead wall. My colleague nearly died laughing a few months ago when a poor stewardess accidentally christened his feet with hot coffee due to turbulence.
As this guy has bad eyesight, I'm tempted to bring one of my kids old shoes (or one of my wife's high heels) on the flight and do a swap with one of his brothel creepers. As he likes to rush to be first off, this would be incredible.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
In a hot cabin bare feet can make the difference between bearable Or insufferable temperature
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:02 am

I wrote to the powers that be at BA about feet on the bulkhead wall, whether bare, in socks or in shoes. Given the hygiene issues and short haul cabin refreshments coming soon, I thought that this would be an opportune time to bring this topic to their attention.
Predictably enough, whilst they acknowledge it is unsightly, they have no plans to ask passengers to refrain from doing it. However they will discuss in the Product and Service Team to see if there are any different ways that could be explored to discourage this practice.....
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Silk Cut
I wrote to the powers that be at BA about feet on the bulkhead wall, whether bare, in socks or in shoes. Given the hygiene issues and short haul cabin refreshments coming soon, I thought that this would be an opportune time to bring this topic to their attention.
Predictably enough, whilst they acknowledge it is unsightly, they have no plans to ask passengers to refrain from doing it. However they will discuss in the Product and Service Team to see if there are any different ways that could be explored to discourage this practice.....
Remove row 1 would solve the issue - you'd have to be pretty tall to reach the bulkhead from row 2.

BA are going the other way though, and squishing row 1 like VS do on little red.

Many moons ago didn't you have flights (U2/FR?) that had no bulkhead in front of 1ABC, instead you could put your legs out in front of 1L?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG
I'm admittedly in the 'shoes off' camp. However I won't bother on a SH flight. On my last LH I took my shoes off and kept them off for the majority of the flight. I was in a window seat and my traveling companion was sat in the aisle seat with the seat between us being empty. I must add that I was wearing socks and put my shoes on everytime I needed to use the WC or had another reason to leave my seat. On the rare occasion when I'm flying and wearing flip flops, I always carry a pair of socks in my carry on so I can wear them on the flight, usually because fly feet often get cold when flying.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Sorry to sound defeatist but this is a futile campaign. People who put their feet where feet shouldn't go have a particular personality type and are inoculated against caring what other folks think. If you stop them putting their crap-laden shoes/sweaty feet on surfaces you might touch, e.g by electrifying it, they will find other ways to annoy you - farting, picking nose etc. Some people just take up too much space in the world and on public transport you have to try to blank them out of your sight. Or emigrate to Japan where they mostly don't do it.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:06 pm

I have a real issue with feet , either bare, in socks or in shoes, being put against the bulkhead wall.
Do any FTers have an issue with feet, "either bare, in socks, or in shoes", being placed on the floor?

We all share the floor. Most of us don't really use the wall.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fripperies
Sorry to sound defeatist but this is a futile campaign. People who put their feet where feet shouldn't go have a particular personality type and are inoculated against caring what other folks think.
Yes I did tell the wife such antisocial behaviour wasn't tolerated by my fellow Flyertalkers. Tell them to get a life was her reply.

Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes I did tell the wife such antisocial behaviour wasn't tolerated by my fellow Flyertalkers. Tell them to get a life was her reply.

Indeed- selfishness is alive and well.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Seeing this thread has reminded me of a slightly OT experience last year. Sat in Brassiere Blanc in Oxford about 12 months ago. It had a been a hot day. In walk a family of four- teenage children, 50 something parents, wife in sandals and socks.

As soon as wife walks in and sits down- off come the sandals and socks and followed by her feet being rested up against the adjacent wall. Right in my eye line as I tuck into my meal, were her hairy (!) feet.

Of course, being British I said nothing. There is one thing having this behaviour on a plane but quite another in a restaurant IMHO.

Back OT....I fail to see why BA cannot manage this by politely asking the offending passenger to remove their feet. Almost every train company ticket inspector tells passengers to remove their feet from seats, side walls etc etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.