Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Save Concorde Group Proposes "Return to Flight"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Save Concorde Group Proposes "Return to Flight"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:21 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Oh please. This discussion again? Concorde is never going to fly again. People were scared enough to not get on it after it returned to service post-AF crash.

Let alone, after being left to its own devices in an airfield and then "repaired" by a Sheikh from Saudi Arabia. Not even all the money in the world would make it regain the public's confidence.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SukiB
If it can be made to fly, there is no technical reason why it can't be granted a CofA.
Again, you keep resorting to the mantra of "no technical reason" to hide the unreality of what you're suggesting.

Of course there's no technical reason this can't be done. All it "technically" takes is a piece of A4 paper, a laser printer connected to a computer that already has the electronic template, and someone who knows how to fill in the blanks.

It's about as useful as your suggestion that anyone with a milling machine in their back yard can make spare Concorde parts. "Technically" possible, yes, just like a chocolate teapot.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by mario
Oh please. This discussion again? Concorde is never going to fly again. People were scared enough to not get on it after it returned to service post-AF crash.

Let alone, after being left to its own devices in an airfield and then "repaired" by a Sheikh from Saudi Arabia. Not even all the money in the world would make it regain the public's confidence.
I could be wrong but I don't think the argument is over a successful commercial return.

What I don't understand is what exactly is the competing interest between heritage concorde and the RTF people?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:36 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Oh please. This discussion again? Concorde is never going to fly again.
This I agree with....

People were scared enough to not get on it after it returned to service post-AF crash.
This I don't agree with - I got on it after the AF crash and, if it was still flying today, would get on it again.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by LondonAndy
This I agree with....

This I don't agree with - I got on it after the AF crash and, if it was still flying today, would get on it again.
I would too as I did (on BA) after the crash. But I also only got on it because the fare was astonishingly low and I think that was a reflection of people's nervousness to fly Concorde.

I jokingly say that in a way I'm happy that Concorde has retired, otherwise I probably would spend all of my disposable income to fly it whenever possible.

But wasn't one of the reasons for early retirement the poor demand after the return to service?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedcardPingle
I could be wrong but I don't think the argument is over a successful commercial return.

What I don't understand is what exactly is the competing interest between heritage concorde and the RTF people?
I think Heritage Concorde want to get a few bits working, get the nose to nod up and down, perhaps even allow it to taxi under its own power; largely for exhibition purposes.

RTF think they can actually get the thing to do a few charter flights.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Maybe this is just me, but I would never set foot on a refurbished Concorde for a charter flight.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe this is just me, but I would never set foot on a refurbished Concorde for a charter flight.
On this forum I daresay you are in a minority. Assuming the aircraft was certified by some competent authority of course.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I think Heritage Concorde want to get a few bits working, get the nose to nod up and down, perhaps even allow it to taxi under its own power; largely for exhibition purposes.

Sure, but where does the bad blood come from? Why does doing what heritage want to do stop RTF doing what they want, or vice versa?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:12 am

On this forum I daresay you are in a minority. Assuming the aircraft was certified by some competent authority of course.
But isn't that the whole difficulty? Yes, technically, one could try cleaning out the hydraulic lines, milling a few new parts, topping off the tanks and taking her for a spin, but good luck certifying that. Vulcan XH558 had the advantage that they could show the airframe was in a production standard condition, and they still had to certify all the new elements to CS-25. Because of how the Concorde airframes have been stored it won't have that advantage so realistically I think you're looking at recertifying most if not all of the aircraft. And you'll have to certify it to today's CS-25, not the 1960s cert standards it was built to. All this is technically feasible for some value of 'technically' but if you have to recertify the aircraft you'll be spending so much money that (i) you're in fantasy land and (ii) you might as well do the thing properly and build a modern SST.

Nor am I convinced it is in fact possible to manufacture new parts for everything. The Vulcan folk lost some engines to FOD ingestion and concluded they couldn't rehabilitate them because the parts were unobtainable. That doesn't surprise me: nobody can mill a turbine blade in their back yard.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by cynicalmoose
But isn't that the whole difficulty? Yes, technically, one could try cleaning out the hydraulic lines, milling a few new parts, topping off the tanks and taking her for a spin, but good luck certifying that. Vulcan XH558 had the advantage that they could show the airframe was in a production standard condition, and they still had to certify all the new elements to CS-25. Because of how the Concorde airframes have been stored it won't have that advantage so realistically I think you're looking at recertifying most if not all of the aircraft. And you'll have to certify it to today's CS-25, not the 1960s cert standards it was built to. All this is technically feasible for some value of 'technically' but if you have to recertify the aircraft you'll be spending so much money that (i) you're in fantasy land and (ii) you might as well do the thing properly and build a modern SST.

Nor am I convinced it is in fact possible to manufacture new parts for everything. The Vulcan folk lost some engines to FOD ingestion and concluded they couldn't rehabilitate them because the parts were unobtainable. That doesn't surprise me: nobody can mill a turbine blade in their back yard.
At last, a cynical post I can agree with. The money required would be so absurd that the only reasons to attempt it would be non-commercial.

BTW, turbine blades are cast, and then part-machined. The machining element is relatively simple. Not for the back yard, but I have never suggested a location
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
Me neither, especially if BA did the refurbishment. We'd likely have a 29" seat pitch
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
But wasn't one of the reasons for early retirement the poor demand after the return to service?
For AF yes, but then remember France didn't support the war on Iraq, so I think US politics entered the fray too.

I have read many times that Concorde was more than profitable for BA until Airbus hiked the costs of support for the aircraft and with AF wanting out, this is where the "secret deals" theory between BA and Airbus have come from with a condition that BA never allow another airframe to fly again, hence the theory they were sabotaged as soon as they were grounded.

I certainly understand Branson having zero chance in getting his hands on one back in 2003, but even now for BA to still not allow even one airframe to be worked on and the pretty poor way they are still being treated is more than a little fishy in my view.

Technically she could fly again, I agree with SukiB that nothing is technologically impossible, but put me in the corner that (with a heavy heart) knows she will never take to the skies again.

I certainly don't understand the hostility towards SGC, and such conflict on a basic level must be music to the ears to those who were determined to never see her fly again.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by AdamUK
I certainly don't understand the hostility towards SGC, and such conflict on a basic level must be music to the ears to those who were determined to never see her fly again.
It's been a long time since I last read anything in detail about this, and I may have all the groups wrong.

But I seem to recall that the perceived problem is that if the one group has unreasonable and irrational demands/promises/goals, it damages the credibility of other groups whose (much more modest and limited) aims might actually be practicable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.