Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Save Concorde Group Proposes "Return to Flight"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Save Concorde Group Proposes "Return to Flight"

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I don't understand the argument that people don't need to be in the same place at once due to the internet. Demand, including business demand, for transatlantic travel is strong, and, if anything, people's schedules are more packed today than ever. I'm sure that there is demand for business (and leisure) travellers to get to their destination quickly. The issue is cost - but if the pricing point was, say, a 35% premium on a J ticket then I think it would work. Especially if they could somehow get it out of LCY!
Old May 23, 2014, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by scaramanga
Could Concorde fly again ? I'm sure it could if you threw a bottomless pit of money at the project.

Will we see Concorde fly again ? No.
+1. (bolded) That's what we (the taxpayers) did to get Concorde off the ground (literally) in the first place. If BA and AF were not given the few aircraft that were actually built, then they would never have operated commercially.

The cost of building another supersonic passenger aircraft will remain astronomical for the forseeable future, and the cost of a J ticket would have to have a 35,000% premium for it to be economical. I doubt it will happen in the lifetime of anyone posting on FT today, despite all of the "son of Concorde" stories which appear in the press every so often accompanied by an artists impression of how it will look.

And I agree; Concorde will never fly again. It is an ex-aircraft. Bereft of life it rests in peace. It's pushing up the daisies. That bird wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:33 pm

Hi Guy's
I don't really go on many other forums other than our own FB forum for reasons of time limitations. I spotted this thread a while ago and I would like to thank you for the support of our group.
If you want technical reasons why Concorde won't fly then we have a few (sorry to all the pro RTF guys but if you can answer these objectively then ok.
1. OEM parts are not available - most of the company's who manufactured parts for Concorde do not exist or have moved on to other things, saying that use of parts off other aircraft will not do because the parts need to be certified.
2. The Seals inside the fuel tanks will have dried out by now, these are an integral part of the structure of the wing I am told by our engineering colleagues that this almost certainly has occurred.
3. The hydraulic lines inside Concorde DO contain dried M2V hydraulic fluid, the system can not be flushed because no fluid will flow through the lines they are completely blocked. I have spent the last 14 months removing dry M2V from the lines and valves inside Concorde's nose systems. To do this for the entire aircraft to flight standard is nigh on impossible. I will post photo's of this issue on our FB forum if anyone is interested, just join and ask.

I could go on to include lack of qualified engineers, pilots, airframe, money and paperwork.

Hope this helps

Graham
Heritage Concorde - www.heritageconcorde.com

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/ConcordeHC/
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: The red, white, blue and silver one....
Thanks for that, interesting for sure!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oscietra
Unfortunately, after a promising start, SCG squandered much goodwill (both in terms of knowledge and also in potential offers of financial assistance).

Its focus was on return to flight (RTF) at all costs.

No consideration was given to the business case for a sustainable enterprise after RTF, or the stepping stones of preservation and education which would possibly have built a groundswell of support to continue the basics like ground checks and servicing which might have made RTF realisable in the longer term.

In many ways it was foolhardy to pretend to be credible, when in fact they are far from that. In summary, all talk, no action.

While Return to Flight is now an impossibility, there remain opportunities for improving preservation as well as broadening the educational possibilities Concorde represents - after all, it's a decade since she flew, and a generation have no concept of what Concorde was all about.

I would hope that SCG would focus on these possibilities, particularly given the challenges faced by the Vulcan. I doubt SCG will set its sights on an achievable target, still peddling the myth of RTF.

Heritage Concorde has these more realistic aims, and a top website to boot:

http://heritageconcorde.com/
I can heartily endorse heritage concorde as a site well worth checking out; grounded realism amongst the sea of missed opportunities that was the amateurish Save Concorde Group.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
And yet I watched a 50 year old Vulcan howl recently.........
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by GrahamCHeritageConcorde
Hi Guy's
I don't really go on many other forums other than our own FB forum for reasons of time limitations. I spotted this thread a while ago and I would like to thank you for the support of our group.
If you want technical reasons why Concorde won't fly then we have a few (sorry to all the pro RTF guys but if you can answer these objectively then ok.
1. OEM parts are not available - most of the company's who manufactured parts for Concorde do not exist or have moved on to other things, saying that use of parts off other aircraft will not do because the parts need to be certified.
2. The Seals inside the fuel tanks will have dried out by now, these are an integral part of the structure of the wing I am told by our engineering colleagues that this almost certainly has occurred.
3. The hydraulic lines inside Concorde DO contain dried M2V hydraulic fluid, the system can not be flushed because no fluid will flow through the lines they are completely blocked. I have spent the last 14 months removing dry M2V from the lines and valves inside Concorde's nose systems. To do this for the entire aircraft to flight standard is nigh on impossible. I will post photo's of this issue on our FB forum if anyone is interested, just join and ask.

I could go on to include lack of qualified engineers, pilots, airframe, money and paperwork.

Hope this helps

Graham
Heritage Concorde - www.heritageconcorde.com

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/ConcordeHC/
Everybody is entitled to have dreams, however unrealistic others find them. Myself not beeing a technician, I have also nourished vague hopes of once beeing able to fly Concorde. With the insight brought to our knowledge by this post, I realize that I have to remain happy to have seen this beautiful bird fly, and just envy those lucky enough to actually had the chance to fly it.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
And yet I watched a 50 year old Vulcan howl recently.........
It's much simpler and was always kept in a running condition.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Graham - I've been looking at your site for the last few hours. Fantastic! It's like taking an alcoholic to a tour of the Krug cellars!

It brings back such happy and bittersweet memories of flights on these aircraft, the last being on Alpha Delta in June 2003.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:21 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by GrahamCHeritageConcorde
Hi Guy's

Hope this helps
See also replies #30 (paragraph 5) and 33 for additional confirmation of the problems. Pretty much the same 3 reasons you have excellently outlined in your post ^
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
Interesting thread. I'm disappointed at the aggression in some of the posts, as well as the many unqualified "Concorde will never fly again" statements.

Especially those statements centred around the airframe or other "components" issue. These are easily manufactured. Hell, give me a drawing, a block of Duralamin, a seventy year old vertical milling machine, and I'll cut you anything to a tolerance of a thou (inches). I'l even de-grease and paint it for you. Any other components can be manufactured by any competent engineering person or company; there is nothing esoteric from a technical point of view.

Hell, it's not impossible to upgrade any of the systems or avionics either. There are much better fly-by-wire systems available than the old Analogue FBW in use with Concorde. It just needs re-engineering. In fact you could strip virtually everything out of the plane, leaving just the structure and replace old for new. Difficult, but not impossible.

There is no reason to put down a group of (some would say) idealists; there's no harm in campaigning.

As a former Aeronautical Engineer (British Aerospace, Military Aircraft Division) there is NO technical reason why Concorde will never fly again.

The reasons why not are ONLY financial and practical. Would it make commercial sense? No. Would it be a complete pain in the backside to do? Definitely.

Somebody needs to want to do this enough to back it. Is this improbable? Yes.

Is it impossible? No.

Should a group of people give up on this? Hell no. Good for them.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 6:57 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by SukiB
Interesting thread. I'm disappointed at the aggression in some of the posts, as well as the many unqualified "Concorde will never fly again" statements.

Especially those statements centred around the airframe or other "components" issue. These are easily manufactured. Hell, give me a drawing, a block of Duralamin, a seventy year old vertical milling machine, and I'll cut you anything to a tolerance of a thou (inches). I'l even de-grease and paint it for you. Any other components can be manufactured by any competent engineering person or company; there is nothing esoteric from a technical point of view.

Hell, it's not impossible to upgrade any of the systems or avionics either. There are much better fly-by-wire systems available than the old Analogue FBW in use with Concorde. It just needs re-engineering. In fact you could strip virtually everything out of the plane, leaving just the structure and replace old for new. Difficult, but not impossible.

There is no reason to put down a group of (some would say) idealists; there's no harm in campaigning.

As a former Aeronautical Engineer (British Aerospace, Military Aircraft Division) there is NO technical reason why Concorde will never fly again.

The reasons why not are ONLY financial and practical. Would it make commercial sense? No. Would it be a complete pain in the backside to do? Definitely.

Somebody needs to want to do this enough to back it. Is this improbable? Yes.

Is it impossible? No.

Should a group of people give up on this? Hell no. Good for them.
The reasons in this thread why it will never, ever fly again are actually highly qualified statements. There is also one very important and critical reason that you have totally overlooked too
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
The reasons in this thread why it will never, ever fly again are actually highly qualified statements. There is also one very important and critical reason that you have totally overlooked too
PhD in Aeronautical Engineering is my qualification. Please enlighten me if you know better. This is not about conjecture about opinion on whether Concorde WILL fly again, it's about if it CAN fly again. If it is technically possible, the possibility exists.

I care not for anyone here who thinks they know any TECHNICAL reason why Concorde cannot fly again. If they are better informed, than I have seen and know no reason to disprove this.

This thread is logically impaired.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:25 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BOH
BA own them?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SukiB
I care not for anyone here who thinks they know any TECHNICAL reason why Concorde cannot fly again.
So long as you have access to an unlimited amount of money and are prepared, if necessary, to disregard the law.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.