Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

bmi credit cards : enhancements from Mar 2013: inc more points and 10% off BA flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dddc
Bit of a quick fix for a wiki until someone has the time to fill it in, but here's a good place to look for an update on the 7 cards in existence:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/03...-rate-changes/
Print Wikipost

bmi credit cards : enhancements from Mar 2013: inc more points and 10% off BA flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:46 am

Another 2 points per £1 spend here. I've got the fee free mastercard that normally collects at 1.5x.

A very welcome enhancement, however I fear that it is maybe another bit of evidance that the MBNA days are coming to an end. All cards are now closed to new applicants as well

I'm in two minds as to why this enhancement has come, the positive spin is - you guys are a great group of high networth customers and we want to hold you. Or the other option is that they've prepurchased the miles and are speeding the burn rate.

Only time will tell. Hopefully lots of time!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by lizban
I'm in two minds as to why this enhancement has come, the positive spin is - you guys are a great group of high networth customers and we want to hold you. Or the other option is that they've prepurchased the miles and are speeding the burn rate.

Only time will tell. Hopefully lots of time!
A good job I've been spending like crazy on holiday for the past couple of weeks then!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
A good job I've been spending like crazy on holiday for the past couple of weeks then!
As long as you're not spending outside the UK!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by hugolover
As long as you're not spending outside the UK!
Why?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: Yes please
Originally Posted by lizban
Another 2 points per £1 spend here. I've got the fee free mastercard that normally collects at 1.5x.
Ditto. So that is two months and counting.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Hopefully when it does come to an end there will be a Visa/MC route to earn avios at a sensible rate. I guess it depends on whether BA continue with Amex or partner with MBNA or others.

OT - I wish MBNA would partner with Aegean! They are obviously in the market for partnering with a number of airlines and if LH and AA can have UK miles-earning cards, why not Aegean...
Old Apr 15, 2013, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wyvern
Hopefully when it does come to an end
What are people's thoughts on this? As my CC was just renewed till middle of 2014 a few months back. This was way after BMI closed down. Surely if they had to plans to close the CC down then they would have given a 6-9 month expiry to the card?

Bad planning IMHO. BMI does not even exist anymore yet we are getting BMI branded CC's. I wonder why BA has not branded them under their logo's?

Like someone mentioned I feel that BMI has sold a bunch of miles to MBNA which they need to finish before the cc can be closed?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by onlysuites
As my CC was just renewed till middle of 2014 a few months back. This was way after BMI closed down. Surely if they had to plans to close the CC down then they would have given a 6-9 month expiry to the card?
The expiry date on your credit card has nothing to do with how long the card account will actually be kept open for. It's not a promise that the bmi cards will still be around in mid-2014!

I've had credit cards from other issuers where the issuer has simply shut down all accounts or all accounts of a certain kind, even though the card expiry date hasn't been reached. For example, Shell used to have a branded Visa card. That entire scheme was shut down, and all card holders were handed over to a Citi branded card before the card expiry date, and new cards were issued. They didn't last long, as Citi then withdrew entirely from the credit card market and simply terminated all existing cards - again, irrespective of card expiry date.

So even if there was a plan to close down the scheme, there's no reason why you'd necessarily see that reflected in card expiry dates.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I wonder why BA has not branded them under their logo's?
Presumably BA have an exclusive deal with Amex for BA-branded cards.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
I just got my new cards through the post - expiry date June 2016. It seems unlikely that the scheme will still exist then, but you never know...
Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:30 pm
ups

Programs: BAEC, Amex MR
Mrs ups called MBNA to reset the PIN on her supp card. At the end the agent said something along the lines of "remember you earn 2 miles on amex/1 on visa per £". So I guess they are not being exactly hush-hush about it. If anyone calls them for something might be worth asking how long is this going to last for...
Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Well it's definitely working - this increased earning has driven me to put about £3k onto my old bmi mastercard so far
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Can someone remind me what the earning rate is on the free, black BA AmEx? I keep meaning to look at a statement, but forget and then face a dilemma next time I need to pay with a card! I have found myself using the MC more, which I prefer as I assume it is kinder to small retailers.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Can someone remind me what the earning rate is on the free, black BA AmEx?
The one that's paired with a Visa?

Normally, 1.5 per £1, but now increased to 2.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Same for April

I just received my April statement and again received 2 points per pound rather than 1.5 (with the free AMEX card). I hope this will continue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.