Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance for one way flight LHR-SIN-PER (first leg BA, second QF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Hi all

I'm hoping you knowledgeable people can give me some advice on the following...

My partner and I are emigrating to Australia and we're planning on booking a one-way flight LHR-PER, taking BA11 LHR-SIN and then connecting on (on the same day) to BA7378 SIN-PER. The first flight is operated by BA, the second by QF. We'll be in WT.

My question is regarding my baggage allowance. As a silver BAEC member I understand that on BA flights I am entitled to take 2 bags in WT, and the heavy bag allowance on each of those bags will be waived, meaning that I can take 2 x 32kg = 64kg, and the same allowance applies to others on my booking. BA have confirmed that that's the case for the first (BA metal) leg.

Where things don't seem to be so clear is on the second flight, which is QF metal but a BA flight number.

I thought - from reading up on the IATA rules on baggage interlining and "most significant carrier" - that my 2 x 32kg allowance would carry on to the second, QF operated flight SIN-PER, and therefore QF wouldn't charge me any more even though their own allowance is not so generous.

However, the email I've got back from BA in response to my query says:

"Thank you for your email. British Airways Executive Club Silver can check in two bags weighing of 32kg per bag without paying the heavy bag charge in all cabins for British Airways flights, on all routes, unless the cabin allowance is greater (except hand baggage only fares). This applies to all customers travelling on the same booking. However, if your booking includes travel with British Airways and another airline, the British Airways baggage allowance may be more generous and you could be charged for extra baggage by the other airline. To enquire whether Qantas will allow the same baggage allowance on their flights, you will need to call Qantas directly".

Is that correct? I don't understand how that fits with the IATA ruling seeing as BA is my most significant carrier.

Does it matter that the allowance that BA is giving me is due to my FF status rather than my cabin of travel - in other words, does that affect the IATA interlining rules at all?

Obviously, an extra bag at 32kg for both of us would make a huge difference (we'll be living on what we can take on the plane for at least 6 weeks until our stuff arrives from the UK), but I can't afford to get stung for hundreds of pounds if Qantas decides that I need to pay more....I'm therefore anxious to get something in an email from BA confirming that my 2 bag allowance extends on to the QF operated flight if that is indeed the case.

Of course I may just have misinterpreted the rules (or it's the case that my BA allowance is on status rather than cabin that means I'm not eligible for the extra allowance on the entire journey) but I would be very grateful for any pointers on this so that I know whether or not I should be fighting for a positive email from BA on this to present at the check in desk!

Many thanks,
J
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by JJUK
Hi all

I'm hoping you knowledgeable people can give me some advice on the following...

My partner and I are emigrating to Australia and we're planning on booking a one-way flight LHR-PER, taking BA11 LHR-SIN and then connecting on (on the same day) to BA7378 SIN-PER. The first flight is operated by BA, the second by QF. We'll be in WT.

My question is regarding my baggage allowance. As a silver BAEC member I understand that on BA flights I am entitled to take 2 bags in WT, and the heavy bag allowance on each of those bags will be waived, meaning that I can take 2 x 32kg = 64kg, and the same allowance applies to others on my booking. BA have confirmed that that's the case for the first (BA metal) leg.

Where things don't seem to be so clear is on the second flight, which is QF metal but a BA flight number.

I thought - from reading up on the IATA rules on baggage interlining and "most significant carrier" - that my 2 x 32kg allowance would carry on to the second, QF operated flight SIN-PER, and therefore QF wouldn't charge me any more even though their own allowance is not so generous.

However, the email I've got back from BA in response to my query says:

"Thank you for your email. British Airways Executive Club Silver can check in two bags weighing of 32kg per bag without paying the heavy bag charge in all cabins for British Airways flights, on all routes, unless the cabin allowance is greater (except hand baggage only fares). This applies to all customers travelling on the same booking. However, if your booking includes travel with British Airways and another airline, the British Airways baggage allowance may be more generous and you could be charged for extra baggage by the other airline. To enquire whether Qantas will allow the same baggage allowance on their flights, you will need to call Qantas directly".

Is that correct? I don't understand how that fits with the IATA ruling seeing as BA is my most significant carrier.

Does it matter that the allowance that BA is giving me is due to my FF status rather than my cabin of travel - in other words, does that affect the IATA interlining rules at all?

Obviously, an extra bag at 32kg for both of us would make a huge difference (we'll be living on what we can take on the plane for at least 6 weeks until our stuff arrives from the UK), but I can't afford to get stung for hundreds of pounds if Qantas decides that I need to pay more....I'm therefore anxious to get something in an email from BA confirming that my 2 bag allowance extends on to the QF operated flight if that is indeed the case.

Of course I may just have misinterpreted the rules (or it's the case that my BA allowance is on status rather than cabin that means I'm not eligible for the extra allowance on the entire journey) but I would be very grateful for any pointers on this so that I know whether or not I should be fighting for a positive email from BA on this to present at the check in desk!

Many thanks,
J
Do you have one single ticket or are the flights 2 separate tickets? Also did you book as BA flights or does the Qantas flight just happen to have a BA number?

If it is one ticket, then I believe the BA rules apply to the entire flight. However, if you have 2 separate tickets, the rules of each airline applies to its individual flight segment.

I had a connecting flight from BA to flybe (I think that's what's it's called). It was booked as one ticket on BA with a BA codeshare number on the flybe. Even though flybe charges ET for all luggage, I was given my Silver allowance free because it all was one ticket AND booked as a BA flight.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Your ticketed allowance is 1 Piece which is what counts towards the allowance on Qantas. BA allows you to take an additional piece on BA flights, but that is not part, iirc, of the ticketed allowance

The IATA rule does apply if it is a through ticket and so you would be entitled , if my understanding is correct, to 1 piece on the Qantas flight
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks, both. I haven't actually booked this yet (if I'm going to be limited for 1 x 23kg for the QF leg I'll look at non-OW carriers) - but if I do book it, it would be on ba.com, so...I *think* (am I right?) it would be on one ticket - when I enter in LON to PER the BA site gives me the option of BA 11 then BA 7378 and gives a combined price for both flights as one journey.

Doesn't seem particularly clear to me what the situation is still - travelinfoo's experience is what I had hoped would happen, but Dave's point about the major issue being the "ticketed allowance" suggests I would only get one piece on the QF leg...so essentially only one piece all the way London to Perth, as getting two pieces as far as Singapore won't be of any use - not really an option to ditch a suitcase half way to Oz! :-)
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:03 am

I would only rely on the 1 piece being permitted since that is the ticketed allowance which will carry across to Qantas. If you are emigrating, you might like to check whether QF still offers an immigration fare which has an extra 10Kg allowance over QF's standard allowance . For travel after 31 March, QF's base allowance is 30Kg which would give you a 40Kg allowance
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
What are the practicalities here?

BA will check the bags through to PER (OW/OW Connection, single ticket) - you wouldn't see them again until you arrive at your destination. Have BA the means to charge excess on behalf of QF at LHR?

Otherwise, I can't think of a likely scenario for you being charged for that second leg.

Regards,

BD
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:50 am

You start your journey with BA and your baggage allowance will be 2x32kgs. They will be checked through to PER. Nobody will raise an eyebrow.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome JJUK

Originally Posted by BD1959
BA will check the bags through to PER (OW/OW Connection, single ticket) - you wouldn't see them again until you arrive at your destination. Have BA the means to charge excess on behalf of QF at LHR?

Otherwise, I can't think of a likely scenario for you being charged for that second leg.
In practical terms I suspect this is correct, and though it is possible that Qantas will try and collect a fee at SIN or PER, the reality is that it is unlikely to happen. (It may on other airlines, I've seen Aer Lingus do it). In particular they would struggle to do it at PER. Also note lhrsinsyd's point of view since it counts as insider knowledge!

Welcome, however, JJUK. And welcome to the BAEC forum, and I hope this trip is not the end of your association with BA. It would be good to see you post on here, since we aim to welcome new visitors here. Have a good trip down under.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:58 am

Your post is near enough exactly the same as I will be doing at the end of Aug/ start of Sept, the only difference is we will have a UK domestic leg on BA before getting to LHR.

Originally Posted by lhrsinsyd
You start your journey with BA and your baggage allowance will be 2x32kgs. They will be checked through to PER. Nobody will raise an eyebrow.
From what I have found out this is exactly what happens, I also believe that on my UK domestic leg I will get the luggage allowance which applies to the LHR-SIN leg which is why we are looking a J flight 3 x 32kg per person

For the last 3 months of your stay in the UK you can claim the vat back from any purchases that you take on the plane with you if you have shopped using the 'Tax Free Shopping Scheme'.

You need to be leaving for more than 12 months and when shopping have filled in the right paperwork/ shown passport with visa etc.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In practical terms I suspect this is correct, and though it is possible that Qantas will try and collect a fee at SIN or PER, the reality is that it is unlikely to happen
The reality is also that should BA charge the Qantas excess at check in or should Qantas charge it at Singapore, the excess fees for SIN-PER are $30 per Kg ; 23Kg excess ( if taking 2 x 23Kg = 46 Kg ) could lead to a nice $690 bill at the airport (GBP475)

Seems quite a gamble to risk paying nigh on double the fare ( looking at LHR-PER seems to be GBP450 (fare and fines) plus GBP150 in taxes) and , if it was me, would be inclined to find an airline that flies to Perth whose allowances meet the needs

The OP may be ok and get away with it if BA decides to just check it through from London without charging ( and wouldn't be that surprised if the OP did get away with no additional fees ) but ay least there will be no justification for a rant about being charged the price of the fare in excess fees if does get charged

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 14, 2013 at 12:25 pm
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by FromTheRail
Your post is near enough exactly the same as I will be doing at the end of Aug/ start of Sept, the only difference is we will have a UK domestic leg on BA before getting to LHR.

From what I have found out this is exactly what happens, I also believe that on my UK domestic leg I will get the luggage allowance which applies to the LHR-SIN leg which is why we are looking a J flight 3 x 32kg per person
There is a big difference with what you are doing however.

For business class travel there is a 3 piece ticketed allowance. If flying BA to Asia and then connecting to Qantas to Australia on a single ticket, then the ticketed allowance will be 3 pieces for the whole journey

This is very different to the OP who is in economy which offers a 1 piece ticketed allowance and then hoping for the extra allowance offered on BA flights to BA Silver members to pass across to Qantas
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:03 pm

I will shortly be flying LHR-SIN-BNE, in WT+ on BA15 and then PE on BA7352 (which is QF52).

MMB shows me:
2 x 23kg for BA15
and
"2 bags (weight restrictions apply)" for BA7352 a.k.a. QF52

MMB may or may not be a source of reliable info

However, you could always book, and if MMB shows what you expect/want for luggage allowances for the QF metal leg, print it out and take it to the airport with you. If not, cancel within 24h (?)
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
I will shortly be flying LHR-SIN-BNE, in WT+ on BA15 and then PE on BA7352 (which is QF52).

MMB shows me:
2 x 23kg for BA15
and
"2 bags (weight restrictions apply)" for BA7352 a.k.a. QF52

MMB may or may not be a source of reliable info
2 bags is the standard ticketed allowance for World Traveller Plus ( as per http://www.britishairways.com/travel.../public/en_gb# )
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
2 bags is the standard ticketed allowance for World Traveller Plus ( as per http://www.britishairways.com/travel.../public/en_gb# )
Yes, I know ...but it's the fact that description of the allowance does differ between the sectors that I thought was worth noting. MMB is not just showing the standard "BA WTP" baggage allowance for the QF sector.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Yes, I know ...but it's the fact that description of the allowance does differ between the sectors that I thought was worth noting. MMB is not just showing the standard "BA WTP" baggage allowance for the QF sector.
The IATA rules for MSC will apply in this case. Since BA is providing the travel between TC2 and TC3, the ticketed BA allowance of 2 pieces 23Kg will apply to the whole one way journey. That is the same rule for a WT+ to BNE or WT to PER ( just that the allowances are 2 vs 1 )

The issue that the OP has is that the OP is hoping to use a silver benefit that applies to BA flights only on the Qantas one and, as noted in your post, that extra BA allowance does not show in the ticketed allowances

Seems an expensive gamble to me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.