FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA lounge access guidelines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1447371-ba-lounge-access-guidelines.html)

The _Banking_Scot Mar 23, 2013 3:55 am

Hi,

I think prior to T5 opening, if you were op-upd at LHR you did not have lounge access but since T5 opened ( larger lounges) you can have lounge access

Regards

TBS

710 77345 Mar 23, 2013 4:03 am

Originally Posted by continentalclub (Post 20468004)
Op-ups (as opposed to paid or Avios upgrades) do not qualify for lounge access that is not otherwise provided for by status or underlying ticketed-cabin eligibility.

Note this does not apply to LHR.

We haven't had any clarification if this relaxation has also been applied to any downroute lounges, but I have had success in the past; I would have thought you would have been fine in Toronto if you were on BA98, otherwise you would have been rather hungry that night!

continentalclub Mar 23, 2013 4:11 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345 (Post 20468021)
Note this does not apply to LHR.

We haven't had any clarification if this relaxation has also been applied to any downroute lounges, but I have had success in the past; I would have thought you would have been fine in Toronto if you were on BA98, otherwise you would have been rather hungry that night!

That's a very relevant point - any passenger who's op-upped to J on a Sleeper Service flights would be in for a tummy-rumbling night!

And thanks for the info on the LHR exception which, now I think about it, I think I have heard mentioned before. Is there any 'official' confirmation of this variation to the 'general' policy? And is there anything official with reference to Sleeper Service flights?

corporate-wage-slave Mar 23, 2013 5:04 am

Originally Posted by continentalclub (Post 20468039)
And thanks for the info on the LHR exception which, now I think about it, I think I have heard mentioned before. Is there any 'official' confirmation of this variation to the 'general' policy? And is there anything official with reference to Sleeper Service flights?

I am not sure we will get an official confirmation but it's 100% the case that free op-ups at LHR (and I'm almost certain LGW) get lounge access. Also while it remains the case that in many out stations you cannot use the lounge, in other out stations you effectively can, since the third party lounge and/or ground handler are unable/unwilling to distinguish between OpUps and paid for customers.

Prospero Mar 23, 2013 5:10 am

Actually, looking at that graphic again, there is an error with regard to BA Elemis Travel Spa access, Prospero: access is for BA Golds/F&J longhaul passengers only. As I read it, it seems to suggest currently that Blue/Bronze/Silvers in any class of travel are eligible. The wording from ba.com is "Complimentary treatments are available for First and Club World customers and Gold Executive Club members flying longhaul."

Indeed there was an error :eek: Now corrected. Thanks for noting this CC

chiefwiggumpi Mar 23, 2013 6:16 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 20468150)
I am not sure we will get an official confirmation but it's 100% the case that free op-ups at LHR (and I'm almost certain LGW) get lounge access. Also while it remains the case that in many out stations you cannot use the lounge, in other out stations you effectively can, since the third party lounge and/or ground handler are unable/unwilling to distinguish between OpUps and paid for customers.

So as per my previous quotes....we will be travelling from JFK to LHR UuA in CW so we get lounge access in a couple of weeks. If i pay for a special offer price (if im offered it at check in!) at JFK to an F ticket i get access to Flounge and/or CCR/and/or Galleries Club i think?!

What happens (i know it wont but last year was OpUp'd to J and if i pray to the Gods!) if we are OpUp'd to F at JFK from our UuA CW ticket, therefore didnt paywith cash/avios....does that mean i can still access CCR/Flounge at JFK, Arrivals lounge at T5 and then as we have Y tickets on same day connecting to MAN are we entitled to CCR/Flounge at T5 for our final leg as we flew inbound on an OpUP F ticket? If that makes sense?:confused:

continentalclub Mar 23, 2013 7:16 am

Originally Posted by chiefwiggumpi (Post 20468324)
So as per my previous quotes....we will be travelling from JFK to LHR UuA in CW so we get lounge access in a couple of weeks. If i pay for a special offer price (if im offered it at check in!) at JFK to an F ticket i get access to Flounge and/or CCR/and/or Galleries Club i think?!

What happens (i know it wont but last year was OpUp'd to J and if i pray to the Gods!) if we are OpUp'd to F at JFK from our UuA CW ticket, therefore didnt paywith cash/avios....does that mean i can still access CCR/Flounge at JFK, Arrivals lounge at T5 and then as we have Y tickets on same day connecting to MAN are we entitled to CCR/Flounge at T5 for our final leg as we flew inbound on an OpUP F ticket? If that makes sense?:confused:

Your question absolutely makes sense, and that's why I'm a little more cautious than corporate-wage-slave on this. Where I've seen a rule or policy written down and/or been shown one, or one has been 'officially' communicated by someone that the BA FT board knows to be a company representative, then I'm comfortable in being fairly assertive in saying 'that's the rule'.

What 710 77345 and the_banking_scot say does ring a bell, but I can't reference it and I wouldn't myself stand at reception and push it (well, with the exception of the Sleeper Service issue, which I'd hope to be able to have a rational discussion about!)

So, again personally, I wouldn't say that yes, unequivocally, you can definitely use GF/CCR at either JFK or LHR on the basis of an op-up to F exJFK and an onward connection to MAN (the travel class to MAN actually being irrelevant, as there is only one).

That said, I accept that there's empirical evidence that outbound exLHR op-ups have been granted access to the lounge associated with the upgraded class of travel, prior to departure.

chiefwiggumpi Mar 23, 2013 8:01 am

Originally Posted by continentalclub (Post 20468480)
Your question absolutely makes sense, and that's why I'm a little more cautious than corporate-wage-slave on this. Where I've seen a rule or policy written down and/or been shown one, or one has been 'officially' communicated by someone that the BA FT board knows to be a company representative, then I'm comfortable in being fairly assertive in saying 'that's the rule'.

What 710 77345 and the_banking_scot say does ring a bell, but I can't reference it and I wouldn't myself stand at reception and push it (well, with the exception of the Sleeper Service issue, which I'd hope to be able to have a rational discussion about!)

So, again personally, I wouldn't say that yes, unequivocally, you can definitely use GF/CCR at either JFK or LHR on the basis of an op-up to F exJFK and an onward connection to MAN (the travel class to MAN actually being irrelevant, as there is only one).

That said, I accept that there's empirical evidence that outbound exLHR op-ups have been granted access to the lounge associated with the upgraded class of travel, prior to departure.

Thanks CC.

I thought i was on the right track. All subjective of course and ill get praying. For information last year we were Op Up'd it was ex LHR and on return from JFK to CW.

Tickets were J class so lounge access at both sides was never questioned by dragons. However we never flew back oop north we drove so no onward domestic flight. This time for some reason i decided i couldnt be bothered to make a 3 1/2hr drive so let the plane take the strain and as were (minimum) CW baggage allowance on domestic wont be an issue.

The "worst" scenario is hardly bad for us if we dont upgrade to F. Still use Arrivals at T5, still use Galleries so nothing to complain about.

trueblu Mar 24, 2013 10:57 pm

Only if you've travelled inbound in BA Club World or First, and you will need your inbound boarding pass. Spa receptionists do not have access to any BA systems.

"

Thanks, but isn't that true for any pax, not necessarily OWE. It could be that OWE connecting from LH to SH can't use the spa, is that what you are implying?

My next trip to T5 won't be until July, but if I remember, I'll pop by the spa and ask unless others can chime in with their experiences (eurogolds come to mind).

tb

angatol Mar 25, 2013 12:14 am

continentalclub Mar 25, 2013 1:27 am

Originally Posted by trueblu (Post 20477148)
Thanks, but isn't that true for any pax, not necessarily OWE. It could be that OWE connecting from LH to SH can't use the spa, is that what you are implying?

No, what I meant (by inference) is that spa receptionists will, by default, ask where you're flying to, not from - and to see that outbound boarding pass.

In your case, it's only the physical inbound BA boarding pass that would grant you access as, unlike a lounge receptionist, the spa staff can't call up your overall reservation to see that you've been inbound in longhaul BA F or J.

(Someone who has flown in to T3 on AA, connecting short haul at T5, is not eligible to use the spa, irrespective of status. That's the other OW implication.)

stevieed Mar 25, 2013 2:11 am

Add Content

srbrenna Mar 25, 2013 4:51 am

Originally Posted by andset1191 (Post 20429206)
srbrenna - I think it was adrianjc32 who let us know of the changes to mean that the "most significant flight" of an itinerary counts for access.

Yes - it is here in post #201 (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post20211461) -

Originally Posted by adrianjc32 (Post 20211461)
Sadly Club Europe onto wt+ do not get access as per the latest access guide which all lounge reception staff are now using. This update also makes it clear that Club Europe onto uk Dom (in U class) does get lounge access.

The point I was making, and I in no way want to diss adriancj32, is that I was surprised by this latest enhancement as it hasn't been otherwise communicated. Indeed the above post is the only evidence that we have for this. I'll try to chat up a dragon on my trip this week to see if we can get any further clarification :)

chiefwiggumpi Mar 25, 2013 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by angatol (Post 20477373)
If you're bronze on the JFK-LHR route, I doubt you'll be very high in the pecking list for op-ups. I would have zero expectation as a low-value gold.

That hurts :(.............more so as its true.........:p

wanderingtheearth Mar 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Cheer up; I was opped-up to F on my very first flight as a Silver. You never know!