FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA lounge access guidelines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1447371-ba-lounge-access-guidelines.html)

Boraxo Jul 23, 2013 4:52 pm

So forgive my confusion, but I still haven't seen confirmation that a no status passenger can access the Galleries/Terraces DEPARTURE lounges in T-5 on the following itinerary:

TATL from USA in BA Club World -> connecting at LHR -> BA intra-Europe economy class

Instead I see the following report:

Originally Posted by greg5 (Post 20429571)
^
And agents.

I paid for an upgrade from WT+ to CW in SEA in Oct and the agent told me I would be able to use the arrivals lounge but NOT the Galleries Club lounge before my connecting ET flight to ZRH. The connection was too tight to bother with the arrivals lounge, but a visit to Galleries would have been nice.

It would have been nice to have this guide back then. Thanks for it now! ^^^

Note that the BA webite quoted in the first post does not mention arriving flights but simply references a "same day connection in business class" - so does that include the arriving flight or just the outbound one? Then of course there is Prospero's summary which suggests that access is mandated:

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 20421104)
oneworld rules relating to lounge access when travelling in mixed cabins, whilst generous, are slightly more onerous than BA's, in that when travelling short haul in economy on a flight marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline, lounge access is granted on the condition your same day connecting flight is/was long haul, premium cabin, marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline. BA for example will permit lounge access to passengers without status, travelling in economy (Euro Traveller or UK Domestic) connecting to/from a Club Europe flight. (emphasis added)

In practice the same day connection requirement is loosely applied. For example lounge access may be granted when connecting from an overnight flight. The general acceptance is so long as your departing flight occurs on the same day as your previous flight arrived you will be granted access during your transit.

The 6 scenarios do not specifically address long-haul CW -> intra-Europe flights, though Scenario 6 is close.

Did I miss something?

orbitmic Jul 23, 2013 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 21147095)
So forgive my confusion, but I still haven't seen confirmation that a no status passenger can access the Galleries/Terraces DEPARTURE lounges in T-5 on the following itinerary:

TATL from USA in BA Club World -> connecting at LHR -> BA intra-Europe economy class

Instead I see the following report:

The report you then quote covers the very case that you say you haven't seen confirmation about: TATL in CW (upgraded from WT+ at the airport, gives you full entitlement) connecting to a European fliight in Y. Access to arrivals lounge (as arriving CW passenger) but not to GC (as departing in Y).

Boraxo Jul 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 21147134)
The report you then quote covers the very case that you say you haven't seen confirmation about: TATL in CW (upgraded from WT+ at the airport, gives you full entitlement) connecting to a European fliight in Y. Access to arrivals lounge (as arriving CW passenger) but not to GC (as departing in Y).

It appears from the report (and elsewhere) that BA improperly denied access to this person and hence the question for seasoned regulars.

greg5 Jul 24, 2013 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 21147169)
It appears from the report (and elsewhere) that BA improperly denied access to this person and hence the question for seasoned regulars.

Yes, indeed the BA agent at SEA improperly informed me in the case mentioned. Though given my flight connection, I would have only had a short time in GC.

JohnnyUMF Jul 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 21145557)
Hi ,

That is bad at Boston as IB is a OW partner.

Strangely, on oneworld.com the site says Iberia uses the Virgin Atlantic lounge?:confused::confused:

Regards

TBS

I was very frustrated, especially because the lounge staff person had great difficulty (it seemed) communicating in English and simple statements I made like "IB is a Oneworld partner" were met with confusion. Finally I asked for a manager who told me this lounge was only for BA passengers because of space issues. IB used to us the VS lounge for BusinessPlus Passengers but not anymore...not sure who they use now as I had always used BA lounge with my Exec club card.

gadheri Jul 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi there
Was wondering if anyone knew how strict are they with admittance into Galleries club lounge at T5. We (family of 3) have an 8 hr layover and was planning on using the lounge. I know I can take one guest with me as I have Oneworld sapphire thru Marco polo gold, however would they also let my 14yr daughter in?
thx

layz Jul 28, 2013 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by gadheri (Post 21172994)
Hi there
Was wondering if anyone knew how strict are they with admittance into Galleries club lounge at T5. We (family of 3) have an 8 hr layover and was planning on using the lounge. I know I can take one guest with me as I have Oneworld sapphire thru Marco polo gold, however would they also let my 14yr daughter in?
thx

Probably not. The rules say no and these tend to be busy lounges. Some people here have reported success though, so if you want to politely ask there's no harm in that as long as you're aware you'll probably be declined.

Even in the lounge 8 hours isn't fun. Are you able to leave the terminal (i.e. are you allowed into the UK?) a few hours in Windsor or London might be a way to kill time.

Otherwise dig out the lounge guesting thread and someone in the airport at the time may be able to guest your partner in, then you can guest your daughter in.

HIDDY Jul 28, 2013 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by layz (Post 21173219)

Even in the lounge 8 hours isn't fun. Are you able to leave the terminal (i.e. are you allowed into the UK?) a few hours in Windsor or London might be a way to kill time..

I agree....if at all possible get out and go somewhere.
I survived 6 hours plus in the CCR/F lounge without much trouble but I wouldn't wish to spend that long in the GC especially with a teenager in tow....she'll be bored to tears.

gadheri Jul 29, 2013 10:09 am

Thanks Layz & Hiddy.
I can leave the terminal, however was hoping to take a shower & relax after a 9 hr flight & before another 6 hr flight.

SonTech Jul 29, 2013 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 21147095)

In MMB it will say if you are entitled to lounge access. It does for my upcoming trip GLA-LGW-MCO, MCO-LGW-MCO in club. It states I have lounge access for each segment.

uncleflori Aug 9, 2013 2:46 am

Lounge usage after overnight TATL

Hi, I know this question arises regularly but it seems to me as if the following case is not confirmed yet:

Arrival First from JFK after overnight at 6.55am, so date on BP will be arrival-1. Connecting flight in ClubEurope on same PNR at 13.55pm to DUS. Will I get access in LHR to CCR and GalleriesFirst on departure Level in T5?

Just asking, because if one reads the guidelines lawyer-like, the access will only be granted, if date of departure FIRST = date of connecting flight.
:confused:

HappytobeSilver Aug 9, 2013 10:00 am

Originally Posted by uncleflori (Post 21241433)
Hi, I know this question arises regularly but it seems to me as if the following case is not confirmed yet:

Arrival First from JFK after overnight at 6.55am, so date on BP will be arrival-1. Connecting flight in ClubEurope on same PNR at 13.55pm to DUS. Will I get access in LHR to CCR and GalleriesFirst on departure Level in T5?

Just asking, because if one reads the guidelines lawyer-like, the access will only be granted, if date of departure FIRST = date of connecting flight.
:confused:

Yes, as you will have arrived in F at 0655 and be travelling onward later that day in CE you can use the CCR or FLounge at T5 prior to your departure to DUS (Are DUS flights not from T1 though? If so, then use the arrivals lounge in T5 before transferring to T1 to use the business lounge there which is in fact rather nice).

uncleflori Aug 11, 2013 9:53 am

Originally Posted by HappytobeSilver (Post 21243114)
... Are DUS flights not from T1 though? If so, then use the arrivals lounge in T5 before transferring to T1 to use the business lounge there which is in fact rather nice.

Hi,
thank you for your speedy response. The LHR timetable on the web shows all BA-flights to DUS leaving from T5, so it looks like I'm OK.

FAA1996 Aug 13, 2013 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by HappytobeSilver (Post 21243114)
Yes, as you will have arrived in F at 0655 and be travelling onward later that day in CE you can use the CCR or FLounge at T5 prior to your departure to DUS (Are DUS flights not from T1 though? If so, then use the arrivals lounge in T5 before transferring to T1 to use the business lounge there which is in fact rather nice).

I have a similar question. Bought a ticket from AA in F, but our MIA-LHR is operated by BA. We arrive the next day and have a CE connectin to ORY. I know I can use the F lounges before and have done so in T3 and T5. My questions is will I be allowed to use the CCR? Are departures for ORY usually convenient to the CCR? Will there be any issue because we bought it as an AA ticket but operated by BA? Finally, are we still allowed a guest?

Thank you in advance for your help! FAA1996

Genius1 Aug 14, 2013 6:48 am

Originally Posted by FAA1996 (Post 21267240)
I have a similar question. Bought a ticket from AA in F, but our MIA-LHR is operated by BA. We arrive the next day and have a CE connectin to ORY. I know I can use the F lounges before and have done so in T3 and T5. My questions is will I be allowed to use the CCR? Are departures for ORY usually convenient to the CCR? Will there be any issue because we bought it as an AA ticket but operated by BA? Finally, are we still allowed a guest?

If you are flying inbound in BA F (regardless of how the flight is marketed), you have access to the CCR if departing from T5 on the same day. F pax can guest one person into the CCR. You will need to keep your BP stub for the F flight to show at the CCR entrance. ORY flights usually depart from T5A, so will be relatively close to the CCR.

If not a same day departure, you won't have access to the CCR, and lounge access will be determined by onward class of travel or your status.