Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Refused lounge access [flying domestic; no recognition of same day qualifying flight]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused lounge access [flying domestic; no recognition of same day qualifying flight]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
As I understand it, the email was incorrect and you weren't entitled to lounge access for the reasons stated - has to be within 24 hours.

I may be wrong of course, but from everything I've read on here it seems to be the case
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
As I understand it, the email was incorrect and you weren't entitled to lounge access for the reasons stated - has to be within 24 hours.

I may be wrong of course, but from everything I've read on here it seems to be the case
You might be right. But I had no problem accessing the EDI lounge, when I had a stopover in London for several days before flying off again.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jrichardf

I eventually left, incredibly frustrated,
My itinerary in MMB shows lounge access at GLA despite having a 3 day stopover in London before carrying on to MAD in CE.
As the domestic sector is booked in U class then lounge access should be given although I always assumed the stopover in London disqualified it for lounge access. Really poor if MMB shows lounge access then to be turned away at the door when you try and get in. Those MAN ladies sound tough cookies.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
You might be right. But I had no problem accessing the EDI lounge, when I had a stopover in London for several days before flying off again.
I can only imagine how frustrating it is - inconsistent service is very annoying
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
This is both surprising and frustrating that just a few days after Nicci has popped her head in that a further problem like this exists.

For the last year I have travelled on about 8 reward flight saver trips in CE with a connecting domestic sector up to a month before or after the CE itinenary.

I have had it queried at GLA but showed them the itinenary and MMB and was let in without issue.

Had no problems at EDI or MAN (Its always been the same gentlemen on the desk with greying hair the 2 times I have been through Manchester.

The only time I was turned away was at LHR T5 but then told I could be let in with my BMI Silver Card .. this was on 20th April had it been the day before I think I would have been refused.

BA needs to sort this problem out sooner rather than later.. How many more people are going to get turned away in error ?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Those MAN ladies sound tough cookies.
Yep, the woman on the door really was. I mean I could understand her initial refusal, in that her info was different to mine and she was only following what she thought the rules were. But I really could not quite believe how stubborn she was, when I showed her my emails and MMB page. I was really shocked..... well.... quite shocked..... I mean there are worse things in the world for me to worry about, I guess.

Oh, after sending my original post, I realised how many typos there were in there. Apologies to anyone who cares about such things.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:25 pm

Let me share my experience. On Dec 23 I arrived in T5 CW from BOS. I then transferred to T3 to continue with my ET flight to LCA with BA. I followed the advice of this forum and went to the BA lounge at T3.

The lady first told me that my flight is in T5 and I should get in that lounge, I then told her but by connecting flight leaves from here. The she told me that it is ET. I then quoted the rules that I saw in the forum. Her reaction was "I do not think you can get in" and she started calling a colleague. Meanwhile she decided to see the rules that were in front of her, looked at one line and told me yes you can get in. Scanned my ticked which was apparently green and told me to get in. She never apologize, or told me that I was right.

The incidence took more than the time I described it here and her calling her colleague wasn't that nice.
When in, I filled the survey I got in my email about the in-flight service. I was extremely happy with the flight but the incidence at T3 lounge ruined my day, nevertheless I was honest but still filled the "other comments" with the incidence.

Last edited by Andreas Kateifides; Dec 29, 2012 at 1:51 pm
Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Andreas Kateifides
She never apologize, or told me that I was right.
Yes that's the most annoying thing about it all.

I don't expect staff to readily admit to making a mistake but I do wish they'd at least apologise for the disruption caused by it.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Gold Passport, Tesco clubcard!
Originally Posted by danpwc
A friend was refused entry when flying inbound from SIN-LHR in CW landed at T3 and then connecting to ABZ in Y out from T5.

The dragon said she wasn't eligible for lounge access. A follow up complaint to BA got the response that if the connecting flight is in a different terminal then lounge access isn't allowed
The rules don't make any mention of this, were they correct?
This is incorrect.... Doesnt matter which terminal.... Inbound CW allowed club galleries access T5... Even if domestic connection
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Gold Passport, Tesco clubcard!
Originally Posted by T8191
So what happens if they fly CE into LGW, with an onward connection from LHR in WT+?
Does that ground transit negate the deal, as they're not landing at LHR?

Dear God, all this for a cup of coffee and some limp food.
Officially as long as it is within 24hours....and in transit so they should allowed be allowed access but there are no examples in the guide of this and it doesnt seem to happen very often
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:54 pm

The guide i provided is freely available on the net and was originally uploaded by Fraser

The access rules are seem to be the same under the oneworld agreement and although the terminal changes have taken place since that was published, the rules are the same

The guide quotes under the transfer section about inbound business class for oneworld airlines allowed access to club galleries and inbound First class oneworld airlines allowed access to BA FIRST lounge (but not Concorde room)

The only inbound access to concorde room is if you are
- BA inbound (and outbound) FIRST passenger and 1 guest
- concorde room card holder and 1 guest
- QF chairmans card holder and BA PREM card holder

I used that snip as it was freely available on the net.

Access is usually granted same day transfers only (within 24 hour period on same day) in other words....

early 5am arrival would be able to get 10pm access.

Easiest way to remember is....

Oneworld business class inbound - connecting onto any BA / OW flight any destination inc BA outbound domestic flights in T5 should be allowed lounge access

BA club world / club europe inbound - connecting onto any BA outbound flight any destination / any class including BA outbound domestic should be allowed lounge access

All above are applicable for Club galleries lounge access - no guest
(unless have BA / OW FF card)

This applies even if the domestic ticket was bought on a separate booking which often happens. If the fare is a cheap one, it will say no lounge access but showing the inbound flight boarding pass shoud override that if its business class.

You should have the inbound boarding pass ready to show

If not, the domestic boarding pass ticket should may say Business UK on it which would give you lounge access on a domestic flight anyway

If your inbound flight is not inbound club world / club europe / OW business and it does not say Business Uk on it then lounge access will be refused for domestic / transfer flights

Last edited by lhrworker; Dec 29, 2012 at 4:11 pm
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yep, the woman on the door really was. I mean I could understand her initial refusal, in that her info was different to mine and she was only following what she thought the rules were. But I really could not quite believe how stubborn she was, when I showed her my emails and MMB page. I was really shocked..... well.... quite shocked..... I mean there are worse things in the world for me to worry about, I guess.

Oh, after sending my original post, I realised how many typos there were in there. Apologies to anyone who cares about such things.
Did she have blonde hair by any chance?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by happeemonkee
Did she have blonde hair by any chance?
Yes she did!!!! Funny. Why?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yes she did!!!! Funny. Why?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...gold-amex.html
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
Just a quick test of logic

As an example and homework marking as I have read this tasty thread so far.

Single reward flight saver booking , 1 adult , no status

day 1 18:55 MAN to LHR T5 (Fare Bucket U)
day 2 17:00 LHR T1 to DUB (Club Europe , Fare Bucket U)

Traveler is allowed access to the MAN lounge due his/her outgoing flight in business (less than 24hrs, on same PNR)

Similar for the return

day 1 18:45 DUB to LHR T1 (Club Europe , Fare Bucket U)
day 2 11:10 LHR T5 to MAN (Fare Bucket U)

Traveler is allowed access to the T5 Galleries lounges due to his/her incoming connecting flight in business (less than 24hrs, on same PNR)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.