Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wandering down Fading Memory Lane

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Reading this. I feel so young. That is all.
A good acknowledgement ^

You missed so much, and you will never be able to claim those days. You can, however, watch them in B&W on YouTube.

BUT, equally, you will see things some of us never will in days to come.

(Avoids digs about BA catering, T5, Gate A-10, 3rd Runway)
Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:44 pm

Another fantastic LHR video from 1964:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Om7kdR_Pg
Old Mar 15, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by Roger
Me too.

In my early travelling days, I used WLAT. Based in deepest Essex at the time, I sometimes stayed overnight at the Forum Hotel almost opposite when taking the early flights to Paris or Amsterdam. The Forum was InterContinental's second brand. To my young-ish eyes, it was my introduction to the high life. The Forum is now the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum and no longer feels like the high life.
You don't mention when (and nor would I ask !), but if memory serves, it was known as the Penta hotel during my time there (78-80)

Originally Posted by Roger
In those days, I travelled a lot in what was then known as Eastern Europe. BEA generally had only 2 or 3 flights a week to most EE capitals and some were shared - e.g. PRG and BUD IIRC. This did of course allow sectors such as PRG-BUD to be booked as part of a longer BEA itinerary.

Most EE-based airlines were to be avoided where posssible with their ageing Tupolevs. Apart from PA, I often chose OS connecting in VIE with its DC-9 derivatives for a more regular service.
Whilst we're reminiscing, I'll repeat my experience of visiting BUD in 1979. We flew out via ZRH on SR DC-9s with the rear stairs under the tail. On arrival in ZRH the temperature was sub zero and I nearly left a layer of skin on the handrail

In those days a visa was required for Hungary and what we didn't note was the requirement to report to a police station with 24 hours. As we were staying with my friend's relatives rather than at a hotel, this important step was overlooked. This caused a bit of a fuss on departure and resulted us being frogmarched onto a BA Trident by armed police. I've never been to pleased to see a BA crew I sat next to a travelling BA engineer who, immediately on arrival at LHR, dashed off the aircraft and was seen under the wing wielding a screwdriver ...
Old Mar 15, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by saintby
Another fantastic LHR video from 1964:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Om7kdR_Pg
Search on YouTube for some aviation gems by user koksy, who used to post here as well but sadly hasn't been around for ages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.