Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Upgraded to Amex BAPP-now AMEX won't count spend on Classic towards Companion Voucher

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgraded to Amex BAPP-now AMEX won't count spend on Classic towards Companion Voucher

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Silver, A Club

In December I received a new card from Amex as my existing Classic one was about to expire. During the course of the call to activate my new card, I was advised that if I upgraded to the BAPP my spend for the current year would count on the new BAPP and, since I had already reached 10k, I would qualify for the voucher straight away. It was noted during the call that it was only the day before my anniversary spend year was up but was assured that I would still get my companion voucher.

Two months later, not having heard further, I enquired as to the status of my companion voucher only to be told that, as Amex couldn't process my application before my anniversary date, my spend wouldn't qualify and therefore no voucher.

I am in a complaints process with Amex at the moment but I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience of this or if I am fighting a loosing battle.

Many thanks in advance for any input
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by SmilerJER
In December I received a new card from Amex as my existing Classic one was about to expire. During the course of the call to activate my new card, I was advised that if I upgraded to the BAPP my spend for the current year would count on the new BAPP and, since I had already reached 10k, I would qualify for the voucher straight away. It was noted during the call that it was only the day before my anniversary spend year was up but was assured that I would still get my companion voucher.

Two months later, not having heard further, I enquired as to the status of my companion voucher only to be told that, as Amex couldn't process my application before my anniversary date, my spend wouldn't qualify and therefore no voucher.

I am in a complaints process with Amex at the moment but I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience of this or if I am fighting a loosing battle.

Not the same experience, but I had to fight for my voucher too, though got there in the end.

I "moved" my BA account abroad last year, and rightly got a letter from Amex stating that no Avios would transfer over to my BAEC account during that time, and I was to let them know if I moved back and they'd transfer them over then. When I moved abroad, my spend was below the 10K limit so I had not triggered the voucher.

I then continued to spend on my BAPP during the year.

I then moved back to the UK later in the year and advised Amex of that. At that point, I had surpassed the 10K spending limit. This was a couple of months before my Amex anniversary date.

It took Amex a while, and a bit of chasing, to get my Avios transferred over, and that happened a few weeks before my Amex anniversary date.

However, I'd also been asking for the Companion voucher, and this took much longer and more chasing. I eventually got it, over a month into my new Amex year - it actually helped me a bit as the start (and therefore expiry) date is a few months later than it would have been and luckily I wasn't needing to use it.

What helped me is that I had documented evidence, from the moment I moved back to the UK, that I was expecting both the Avios and the voucher to get to my BA account. With only a verbal assurance, it might be harder for you.

However, I'd definitely keep trying - I got it resolved without needing to call up, but I was pretty close to having to do that.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Not the same experience, but I had to fight for my voucher too, though got there in the end.

What helped me is that I had documented evidence, from the moment I moved back to the UK, that I was expecting both the Avios and the voucher to get to my BA account. With only a verbal assurance, it might be harder for you.

However, I'd definitely keep trying - I got it resolved without needing to call up, but I was pretty close to having to do that.
Thanks for your response Paralytic. Whilst I don't have written assurance, the tapes have been pulled of the conversation and Amex acknowledge what I was promised, but say that this was incorrect, despite the customer service rep I spoke to confirming with his manager that this would all be okay, and a note being put on my account.

Amex did try putting this in BA's court saying they administered the scheme but when I spoke to BA, they bounced it right back to Amex advising that BA are not given any information on annual spend anniversaries and the like as this is confidential to Amex.

Will just need to go through the formal complaints process (the 10,000 Avios at the start of the process was rejected) but was hoping to get an insight as to how this all worked and whether Amex can override their systems and manually issue the companion voucher (they say they can't)
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue

Its 4+ years ago now but on upgrading my spend was taken into account and as I had over 10K already, a voucher was instantly triggered.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Its 4+ years ago now but on upgrading my spend was taken into account and as I had over 10K already, a voucher was instantly triggered.
Same happened to me a couple of years back, although it was a few months before my anniversary date.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Exactly the same for me and Mrs travellingblade - the voucher was trigger in both our cases upon upgrading without further spend. It does take a few days to actually be issued and in both our cases we were a few months prior to our year end dates so that was no issue.

I'm guessing as your anniversary date was the following day the system didn't have time to work out you were eligible for a voucher before it reset but as they gave you assurances this was OK you should keep fighting for it.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:30 am
uk1
Suspended

Not at all. The complaint process should almost certainly produce a positive result. You were made a promise and as a result you paid the fee. A contract exists. It is no longer an issue of simply offering a refund for example.

Amex have not contested that the promise was made and called it a mistake. Now they have to put it right. In the unlikely event they refuse just indicate dissatisfaction with the complaint decision and insist it goes through the formal external procedure. This process is highly loaded in the complainants favour and most are therefore found in favour. It is also an expensive process for Amex.

Just be patient and good luck.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uk1
Not at all. The complaint process should almost certainly produce a positive result. You were made a promise and as a result you paid the fee. A contract exists. It is no longer an issue of simply offering a refund for example.

Amex have not contested that the promise was made and called it a mistake. Now they have to put it right. In the unlikely event they refuse just indicate dissatisfaction with the complaint decision and insist it goes through the formal external procedure. This process is highly loaded in the complainants favour and most are therefore found in favour. It is also an expensive process for Amex.

Just be patient and good luck.
Thank you UK1. That is very reassuring to hear and also the same thoughts that I had. I will keep you posted - fingers crossed
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:34 am

Thank you UK1. That is very reassuring to hear and also the same thoughts that I had. I will keep you posted - fingers crossed
Oh, can't believe no-one has mentioned this. You could also contact Nicci (username BA Executive Club) who lurks around this board helping us. Send her a private message with details.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:37 am
uk1
Suspended

No problem ..... the facts that the Amex person pro-actively sold you BAPP, when you were calling on another issue, and that she had all of your account info on her screen, and specifically knew of the renewal date challenge means that they have nowhere else to go ..... not to say they won't try.......

Hope it isn't too much of a wrestle.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:38 am
uk1
Suspended

Oh, can't believe no-one has mentioned this. You could also contact Nicci (username BA Executive Club) who lurks around this board helping us. Send her a private message with details.
Can she help with Amex issues?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:53 am
Original Poster

I'll hold off contacting Nicci until I get the next response from Amex. If they again say it's a BA issue and not an Amex issue (although from my initial discussions with BA, I cannot see how it is a BA issue), then I'll involve her.

Thanks again for all the input

Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by uk1
Can she help with Amex issues?
I'll take that as a rhetorical question At some point BA will be involved too - they were when I had to chase my voucher (though I didn't speak to them direct).
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:58 am
uk1
Suspended

I'll hold off contacting Nicci until I get the next response from Amex. If they again say it's a BA issue and not an Amex issue (although from my initial discussions with BA, I cannot see how it is a BA issue), then I'll involve her.

Thanks again for all the input

In any event, I'd wait for comments from others before contacting Nicci, as it remains unclear as to how she can intercede about an Amex annual spend issue .....

She get's lot's of request for help and it's kinder to ask for help on BA related issues only.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:59 am
uk1
Suspended

I'll take that as a rhetorical question At some point BA will be involved too - they were when I had to chase my voucher (though I didn't speak to them direct).
Why is it rhetorical?

What do you believe she can do exactly? Finding out where a lost issued voucher is, is entirely different from an Amex misselling / spend issue.

I don't see it at all.

Last edited by uk1; Mar 6, 2013 at 11:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.