Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online or Call?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Online or Call?

I'm quite new to using Avios and wanted to know if it would make any difference if I were to call instead of trying to book tickets online. Is there more availability if I call? Is it more expensive that way (I'm used to Aeroplan charging $30 per ticket when you call)?

Also, it's really strange that sometimes I see availability for a specific date and later I don't see it anymore, but once again later I can see it.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, TK Elite, Hyatt Platinum
I think you would be charged a fee to book over the phone, unless you are a Gold Card Holder
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Stickyfingers85 is correct about fees, though if you do find offline availability which should be online too, you could probably argue to have the fees refunded. This may, or may not, work.

In terms of availability, for BA services there is definitely no better availability offline than online. Indeed some agents seem so clunky that it is almost the other way around. For EI and LAN services the complete opposite applies, you won't see availability online but the agents can find it. For AA and other partners, my personal experience is that online availability seems to match offline availability, but other people have had different experiences. It is a dynamic situation, so things do come and go quickly, also I suspect if a partner airline's computers go down then BA will temporarily not see availability. So the message is keep checking.

The two exceptions to the above (that I know of) is that Gold Guest List status members can force availability with their "jokers", if there is no online availability. Also UK domestic add ons to longhaul flights can sometimes be obtained offline but not online.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by erik19283
Also, it's really strange that sometimes I see availability for a specific date and later I don't see it anymore, but once again later I can see it.
If you're using the "Explore and Check Availability" map it's a known bug that BA seem unable or unwilling to fix (it's been there for ages). The only way (on the BA website that is) to really be sure of availability is to try to make a booking, which is very annoying if you are looking at multiple routes, destinations and dates. You could also use the third party Award Nexus tool (www.awardnexus.com).
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the quick and very informative answers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.