Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA F vs LH F

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: LH/BA/DL
Originally Posted by SFO777
Not even close. LH First is far superior in all aspects... seat comfort (separate bed on the 774), food, wines and a ground product (FCL and terminal, personal assistants and private limo to your aircraft).
Another +1.

I do like BA First and there is nothing wrong with it, it just plays in a different league. For the same price (or miles) go for LH. Choose the 747 through FRA, if possible.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:25 am
Moz

Programs: BA Gold, Delta SM, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Pick a 777 route and try BA.

Can you tell me why (other than because of the guarantee of getting NF)? I ask as I am flying to ORD and was disappointed I was on a 777 but perhaps I was wrong to be?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kmzandrew
Should I give it a try or just save my oneworld miles for F on Cathay or JAL?
F on Cathay is profoundly better than F on BA. Save the miles.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
The New F product was clearly designed for the 777. It has been shoehorned into the 744 and it feels poky and claustrophobic. It is a MUCH better product on the 777. Old F was better on the 747 because it was designed for that aircraft almost 20 years ago now.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:54 am
Suspended

I think if they can make the table part actually retract down then the whole sleeping areawill be much bigger.
Also another problem is lack of foot rest
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:31 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Platinum; IHG Diamond-Amb.; Meli/HH/Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
If you go on a 747 via FRA then new F is almost certain, so it becomes a no-brainer. Coming back, the longer flight time to Germany also gives you more sleep.
+1. You'd be maximizing your wide-body time on the outbound trip, too. Connecting at FRA can be a pain, and under most other circumstances I try to avoid it, but it is usually a very pleasant experience if you're arriving on an international LH flight and continuing in LH F.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP
I understand that Cathay and LH F are probably better, but would BA first still wow me? That is what I'm curious about. I like flying new airlines and am usually excited by the silliest things in F. For example on LH F the a380 bathroom is really nice.

On ANA the food and drinks are incredible.
On the ground LH has a limo transfer.
Thai F check-in and the spa.

So the real question is does BA provide some wow factor... or is it just the funky windows they have for first class.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:30 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Platinum; IHG Diamond-Amb.; Meli/HH/Bonvoy Gold
I understand that Cathay and LH F are probably better, but would BA first still wow me?
That's impossible to know in advance, I'd say, because so much of it is down to the cabin crew. My best BA F flights have been very pleasant indeed, but it's never been because of the seat or the food or the lounge (and certainly not the lavatories). On a good day, you'll feel looked after in a way that most LH crews can't match. On a poor day, you'll wonder why you chose BA.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
I understand that Cathay and LH F are probably better, but would BA first still wow me? That is what I'm curious about. I like flying new airlines and am usually excited by the silliest things in F. For example on LH F the a380 bathroom is really nice.

On ANA the food and drinks are incredible.
On the ground LH has a limo transfer.
Thai F check-in and the spa.

So the real question is does BA provide some wow factor... or is it just the funky windows they have for first class.

I'm usually excited before flying LH/F, SQ/F, CX/F, QF/F on A380.

I'm afraid I'm never excited before flying BA/F. Some crews can be good, but the food is generally mediocre, the cabins are too hot, BA has no idea how to run overnight flights to maximize sleeping time, and the seat is both narrow to sleep on and not all that comfortable to sit on. I think of BA F as CW+ (CW being BA's biz product).

To provide context, I fly btw 175K and 275K actual miles a year. If connecting through Europe, LH at FRA is the obvious way to go.

NYLON Boy
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold

Out of my 20 or so RT in BA F, I can think of a wow experience only on the very first flight, when the FA served me half a bottle of blue label before take off and left a very good bottle of Bordeaux on my table for dinner! Obviously, getting into LHR the next morning did not feel quite as wow, but I decided not to complain about that.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:20 pm

Programs: MUCCI
BA F on the 777-300 is really nice - the seat was designed with the 777 n mind and there is just so much more space to put stuff. With even more floor space the A380 seat will be even better.

On the 747-400 it is so cramped - they should really have taken the seats down to 12 but some of the best routes can fill 14 seats in F in revenue so it had to be shoe-horned in.

The other thing I notice these days on the 747-400 is that the overhead locker space is so small compared to the 777's where there are decent size bins to chuck your hand luggage.

FD
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: FT
someone told me on BA to say it is your first flight in F and that can make a big difference....[some say this even though it is not...cheeky buggers]
Old Mar 7, 2013, 4:13 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
On the 747-400 it is so cramped - they should really have taken the seats down to 12
Probably the best and most spacious seats in F on the 744 is 1A and 1K.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: AS , AA, Hilton, Hyatt, Kimpton, Hertz
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
+1 ^ 100% agree with SFO777 especially if you flying LH new F on the 744 or A380 or the new state of the art 748i. With LH new F you get the feeling of WOOOOW
Did a RTW in January that included an LH F segment on a new 747-800 to FRA and then a F A380 sgement from FRA to NRT. A nice experience for sure, but I did not find it worlds ahead of a BA new F flight. I think on a 747 BA is acutally a more private setting. The new LH F is really quite open. Food and wine also a draw in my opinion. I have always been very comfortable in the Concorde room and look forward to it on my flight nect week, but the F terminal in FRA really is a step ahead.

Hard to lose either way - enjoy your choice.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AC Aroplan, Accor ALL
I'm sorry, but there's no point dodging this. BA F food is terrible. Interestingly, I finally approached the matter in a very, very friendly way on a recent longhaul flight, and the crew actually told me to never order the beef on BA. Apparently, it is fully cooked (i.e. well done) TWICE. They said it's loaded fully cooked and they're obliged to fully recook it. This is not to mention the general mediocrity of the menus. On this particular flight, they even went on to say that none of the crew wished to eat ANY of the F meals themselves. 'Food for thought'...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.