Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New in the house!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by TomK81
So probably the most effective way for a LHR-DAL is using 2-4-1 on WT+ and then upgrading using avios?
No you've been confused into seeing a link between the 241 and upgrades.

Your choices are (not exhaustive!):
- 75k and the voucher (and 2 lots of taxes and fees) for 2 in WT+
- 100k and the voucher (and 2 lots of taxes and fees) for 2 in Club
- Buy two WT+ with cash (paying the fare and taxes for both pax) and upgrade to Club for 12.5k per sector, 50k for both pax both ways.

If you're doing an Avios upgrade as in the third case, this is incompatible with the voucher. The 241 is only good on a straight miles booking.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Thanks! Think I am staring to get the hang of this! Looks like I need to boost up to 100k ASAP somehow! Currently about 50k in the household account.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:43 pm

If you're attending a wedding I'm assuming that you don't have much in the way of flexibility on dates. Whilst good availability is mentioned above, this may not necessarily mean that your guaranteed a couple of reward seats at the time you require.
If you also consider that the taxes and fees will not be a huge amount less than the cost of two paid for WT+ tickets (my estimate is 400-500 in fees and taxes per person, but someone more experienced may give you a closer figure). You may want to consider booking these flights with cash. On a date that ensures you're there at the time of the wedding.
This would allow you to accrue some more Avios and book a reward flight in CW or even F, at another time when you have a bit more flexibility. In my mind you get more bang for your buck in terms of the cost of the taxes and fees in the higher cabins, and to be honest WT+ isn't a big leap from WT.

All of that said, I have managed to book two separate return journeys for me and Mrs Spruce Moose in the last 6 months to specific destinations and within a day or two of desired dates.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold,Aeroplan, Miles&More (Silver), United Gold
Look out for Tesco double avois or X % extra avois.
These come along every few months. I'm hoping for such a deal soon once the current promo ends

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.