Wiki Posts
Search

BA's complicated fares

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
BA's complicated fares

I do apologies if this has been discussed before, as i could not find it and i'm new here.

Im looking up fares to fly from BRU to MIA (04/03 - 12/03 as an example) in CW with possibly one leg in First. Without selecting any flights BA is quoting me (EUR) 1369 CW, 2236 F outbound, and 1369 CW, 2192 F inbound as the cheapest prices (flying BA, not AA or IB). I have noticed a couple of things:

- If I select the outbound leg in First it instantly raises the prices for the return to 2192 CW, 3104 F. Is there a reason for this?

- If I select the outbound in CW and the inbound in First it quotes me 1369 and 2192. I believe this comes to a total of 3561, however when I press next BA is quoting me a total of 4426,89!

The first scenario I can somewhat understand, as I'm sure there will be some reason for this and its updating and quoting me the correct price all the way thru the booking process. However the second scenario I find completely deceitful as the website first quotes me 3561 (even when I select the return flight first) and then raises the price to 4426, 89 on the next page.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
I can't help at the minute as I'm just on my way out however I'm sure someone will be along soon to have a look and check fare rules for you

Oh and welcome to Flyertalk!!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:09 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:30 am
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Strange about the total changing in your second scenario. I have never experienced this.

Another option might be to go through the booking process, sometime after selecting your flights, but before entering payment details, the website usually offers upgrades to a higher cabin. You should be able to select only one leg.

Edit: Just checked it out myself. The website does behave very strange with your dates/route. It seems as if some of the fares are not compatible with each other. Might be one of those times where you need to call to book.

Last edited by LCY8737; Feb 23, 2013 at 1:35 am
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:41 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
I believe that this is (although complicated) quite logical. The return flight at the lower price is in R class. This is a discounted business class, and, IIRC, you cannot combine this with an A class - much in the same way that you cannot combine an A class with an O class...

In short - if you fly in FIRST outbound, you will fly BRU-LHR in J, and LHR-MIA in A. The return then, is MIA-LHR in D (because R is not an option anymore), and LHR-BRU in J. D is more expensive than R. I know it takes a lot of knowledge that the majority of the population is not interested in knowing, but the system is showing you the correct pricing at every stage of the way...

What you don't see in your 'second scenario', is that the price of the outbound also changes. You see it in in the 'first scenario' because the page is set-up to refresh after you select the outbound flight.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:43 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
This is not unusual, by why I cannot tell. If you try a return from LHR-LCA, when you pick flexible economy it offers you prices for economy and business. If you click on the business outbound it recalculated the prices upwards for the return legs.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thank you all for the responses. I will definitely be reading up on BA fare codes as this is all new to me.

The option to do BRU-LHR-PHL-MIA in CW and MIA-LHR-BRU in F for 3620 is attractive. However I dont know if I want to take the extra connection, travel time, and having to check bags again in PHL. It would be interesting with a 2 day stopover as I have never been to PHL before.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:22 am

I've found something similar searching WT+ and Club fares from Paris to NYC. It may look as if you can do a WT+ outbound through LHR and for a bargain of about 700 E get back on Openskies in the Seat - very close to Club equivalent. But lo, when you click on WT+ option out, the Openskies Seat is no longer offered, and if you click Club out, the Openskies offers the Bed at more than double the price for the inbound. In between, the web site seems to be 'Updating return price', so perhaps it is a fare rules thing.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
The 1369 CW fare is I type, and the fare rules say:

ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS
FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
WITH BA FARES WITH ANY FARE FOR ANY CARRIER IN ANY
RULE AND TARIFF.
-TO FORM ROUND TRIPS
-TO FORM CIRCLE TRIPS WITH BA FARES.
The 2236 F fare is A type, and the fare rules say:

OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS
FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS
-TO FORM SINGLE OR DOUBLE OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/
CIRCLE TRIPS.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY D2JBUP- TYPE FARES FOR
CARRIER BA
OR FOR CARRIER AA
OR FOR CARRIER IB IN RULE J607 IN TARIFF
IPRA - BETWEEN USA/CA-AREA 2/3 AND GUAM-AREA 2
IPRAI - BETWEEN THE USA/CANADA-AREA 2/3 VIA ATL
IPRSAA2 - BETWEEN THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE-AREA 2
VIA ATL.
I don't know what D2JBUP is, but I assume it means that an A type F fare can't be combined with the I type CW fare.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:00 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.