Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NY winter storm

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by HilFly
Even if you have underground utilities coming to the house, they are usually still above ground not too far away. At our last home we had underground utilities but we still got plenty of power outages.

How are things down on the Cape now? For us the contrast between Friday / Saturday and Sunday could not have been greater. It went down to 4F (-15C) during Saturday night but it bounced back up to 38F (4C) during Sunday, with a cloudless bright blue sky and brilliant sunshine. Drove a 90 mile round trip with no problems whatsoever.
Yes, you are right, I was speaking to our experience with underground. We are fortunate that the underground connects to poles on a fairly busy road. I think that helps us, so far, get power back faster. We might go out for hours rather than days (knock wood). My brother has underground in his subdivision but it comes overhead from a minor road. He still doesn't have power. Good thing he has a wood stove.

Yesterday was nice and we were able to get a front-end loader in to take care of our drive. Though he didn't do a great job this time. Now today we get rain and that will make our drive quite slippery. But with a warm week coming, maybe it will melt down to stone!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by halfcape
Yes, you are right, I was speaking to our experience with underground. We are fortunate that the underground connects to poles on a fairly busy road. I think that helps us, so far, get power back faster. We might go out for hours rather than days (knock wood). My brother has underground in his subdivision but it comes overhead from a minor road. He still doesn't have power. Good thing he has a wood stove.

Yesterday was nice and we were able to get a front-end loader in to take care of our drive. Though he didn't do a great job this time. Now today we get rain and that will make our drive quite slippery. But with a warm week coming, maybe it will melt down to stone!
Yeah we're underground to the house but sadly being at the end of the power line where we are we still lose power in big blows.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Buddy in Scituate (south of BOS) has left the shelter and gone home - power restored after 72 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.