Search

NY winter storm

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:44 am

Here it comes....

http://www.weather.com/maps/geograph..._animated.html
Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Everything to BOS & JFK cancelled today, AA to BOS cancelled tomorrow as well.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Do spare a thought for those FT members who are in the storms path like halfcape who is a Cape Cod resident and likely in for a battering. ACK has only got a Winter Storm Warning but the Cape like NYC are under a Blizzard Warning.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Just heard that it's now coming down at about 2 inches (5cm in new money) an hour in BOS

Last edited by Jimmie76; Feb 8, 2013 at 9:02 pm
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Just heard that it's now coming down at about 2 inches (10cm in new money) an hour in BOS
2 inches is a lot of snow per hour. We were getting that rate for a few hours in Toronto and ended up with about 25 cm on the ground and that's just the storm coming from the west into those areas. Combined with the storm coming off the Atlantic I'm glad YYZ is a lot further inland than Connecticut and Massachusetts.

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Feb 8, 2013 at 9:14 pm
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
2 inches is 5cm but yes that is a lot of snow per hour. We were getting that rate for a few hours in Toronto and ended up with about 25 cm on the ground and that's just the storm coming from the west into those areas. Combined with the storm coming off the Atlantic I'm glad YYZ is a lot further inland than Connecticut and Massachusetts.
Whoops my maths is obviously not great this early in the morning (might edit that). Gusting to 74mph on ACK and 70 at Chatham which isn't good .

Last edited by Jimmie76; Feb 8, 2013 at 9:07 pm
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed, it is down to 15 C on my balcony. But compared to 1 C in London, that is warm
Actually 15c feels like 8c in LHR so def a cool day
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
It was really a nightmare driving around the GTA. I can see why the Mass. Gov. banned vehicle traffic until this is over.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
It was really a nightmare driving around the GTA. I can see why the Mass. Gov. banned vehicle traffic until this is over.
There is no way I would go out in the conditions on ACK at the moment, people who do are asking for trouble. Hope everyone stays safe.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
And here I run around in short shirts in 45-50F/7-13C, happy it hasn't been much colder so far in the SF Bay Area. Only had 3 nights a while back which got down to freezing. One morning I left at 7am and actually had to pull out a credit card and scratch ice!

I do not miss Hamburg
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Just heard that it's now coming down at about 2 inches (5cm in new money) an hour in BOS
It's coming down at 3 inches per hour! On the Connecticut coast, around Old Saybrook, they recorded 51/2 inches per hour!!

We're certainly getting a lot of snow, and the wind is howling - it sounds like something out of the Hounds of the Baskervilles out there!

The Massachusetts Governor ordered all traffic off the road by 4pm Friday - only emergency vehicles and plows, etc, are allowed out. Hefty fines and / or imprisonment for non compliance. When the roads are empty they can keep them plowed, but the minute traffic stops and backs up it's all over, and we'd have another 1978.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northea...izzard_of_1978

The snow has drifted more than 1/2 way up our back door already, but we still have power, phone and internet, knock on wood, but we're ready with plenty of water, flasks of tea and flasks of hot food, just in case. At least in weather like this, the food in the refrigerator won't spoil if the power goes out!

Logan Airport was open for business all day, but the airlines had cancelled all flights anyway.

Stay safe, fellow Baystaters.

Last edited by HilFly; Feb 9, 2013 at 4:07 am
Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
CNN headline says 500,000 without power. When you click it, you're taken to an article entitled "600,000 without power". So things are obviously moving fast!
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:59 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Yipes best of luck everyone out there. Feel very sorry for anyone hit by this on top of Sandy.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:53 am

............best of luck everyone out there.
Sorry, "yipes" isn't part of the bealine vocabulary, but ^+1

I do hope the storm isn't as "historic" as the popular press would like to predict!
Old Feb 9, 2013, 5:09 am

Programs: UA
This is what it looked like from our apartment at 5:30am here in CT. Our entombed car is the one on the far left...... I don't think we're going anywhere soon. No power outage though, which makes me happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.