Wiki Posts
Search

BA fare discounts with AARP Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2023, 6:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by vball_00
Is AARP discount not working again? I've been trying for the past couple of days to get the AARP discount page to come up on BA.com, but when I log into my AARP account and then click on "learn more" to get to the BA discount page, it just takes me to the regular/public BA.com landing page, with no mention of the discount.
I have good news and bad news for you.

The AARP discount is still working. I needed to book a flight tonight and wanted to take advantage of it. I logged in using my normal process and I saw exactly the same as you. On the front page I clicked on 'Multi city & round the world' hoping that this might take me to the right part of the site. It didn't look like it did but when I searched for the flights I had priced up on Matrix it was showing the Discounted prices. See below.

That's the good news. The bad news is that there's nowhere to enter the CHASE 10% discount code which is more valuable than the $200 AARP discount.

This is the one way fare showing the AARP discount included

This is the total round trip fare with the AARP discount.

This is the total round trip fare on Matrix which is a little over $200 more than I am seeing with the AARP discount.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by golfmad
I have good news and bad news for you.

The AARP discount is still working. I needed to book a flight tonight and wanted to take advantage of it. I logged in using my normal process and I saw exactly the same as you. On the front page I clicked on 'Multi city & round the world' hoping that this might take me to the right part of the site. It didn't look like it did but when I searched for the flights I had priced up on Matrix it was showing the Discounted prices. See below.

That's the good news. The bad news is that there's nowhere to enter the CHASE 10% discount code which is more valuable than the $200 AARP discount.

This is the one way fare showing the AARP discount included

This is the total round trip fare with the AARP discount.

This is the total round trip fare on Matrix which is a little over $200 more than I am seeing with the AARP discount.
I just did a dummy booking and was able to use both the AARP and the Chase discount.
vball_00 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
I just did a dummy booking and was able to use both the AARP and the Chase discount.
Yes, I just tried another browser and was also able to do it. Booking complete. Not sure what happened the first time.

From a starting point on Matrix of $2,783.30 to a final price of $2,303.37 using AARP and Chase10. Now to apply a GUF into F. Happy days.
vball_00 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Yes, I just tried another browser and was also able to do it. Booking complete. Not sure what happened the first time<snip>
Do you mind sharing which browser didn't work and then which browser did work?

Regards
Old Nov 24, 2023, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Do you mind sharing which browser didn't work and then which browser did work?

Regards
Sure. My main browser is Safari on my Mac. It didn't work for me using Safari.
I have Chrome installed too and I did a complete clear out of it before trying the AARP and Chase 10 booking. It worked using this.
I suspect it's nothing to do with the actual browser and more to do with cookies and the cache which I cleared from Chrome.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 8:27 am

Sure. My main browser is Safari on my Mac. It didn't work for me using Safari.
I have Chrome installed too and I did a complete clear out of it before trying the AARP and Chase 10 booking. It worked using this.
I suspect it's nothing to do with the actual browser and more to do with cookies and the cache which I cleared from Chrome.
Thanks golfmad! I just figured it's good for the community to understand whats working and what isn't.

I certainly don't know what is specifically going on with Safari, but I will say that Safari also has some weird nuances with some shopping portals, etc. where things don't track properly, etc (in fact, some portals explicitly recommend not using Safari on their site).

Regards
Old Jan 18, 2024, 3:22 pm

AARP discount--is this for ex-US only still? Unfortunately, I need to fly from the EU to the US.
I know that the Chase discount is explicitly stated for ex-US flights, but am not sure about the AARP discount. I will join AARP if the answer to the above question is No.

I searched for an answer in this forum. However, those comments were made a while ago and I am just wondering if there have been any changes. Thank you.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Barkinpark
AARP discount--is this for ex-US only still? Unfortunately, I need to fly from the EU to the US.
I know that the Chase discount is explicitly stated for ex-US flights, but am not sure about the AARP discount. I will join AARP if the answer to the above question is No.

I searched for an answer in this forum. However, those comments were made a while ago and I am just wondering if there have been any changes. Thank you.
From AARP.com:
"The exclusive discounts as indicated on this offer page are available online to AARP members only via the dedicated link on this page when booking a round-trip through fare (round-trip flights with connection to final destination, separate tickets do not qualify for discount) from select US gateways to the UK and beyond." (emphasis added).

Also, of note for others, T&Cs right now are showing that travel must be booked by January 31, 2024. Obviously, hopefully it gets renewed as usually, but certainly getting down to the wire...

Regards
Edit: Well, AARP page shows, January 31, 2024, per above, but BA's landing page shows March 30, 2024, so there you go... (I assume BA's is authoritative, since they are granting the discount)
Barkinpark likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or, just google "BA AARP Discount" and the first unsponsored link takes you here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ember-benefits
Read the T&Cs. Hint. #12.

ETA - that said, the T&C's don't indicate anything about the discount being valid for First Class, and we know that it has been, so YMMV. I suppose someone with an active membership can double-check. Mine lapsed recently and I may not renew, pending decision on who/how to fly to Europe on my next trip.
Barkinpark likes this.

Last edited by ijgordon; Jan 18, 2024 at 7:46 pm
Old Jan 26, 2024, 5:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Are tickets booked with AARP discount not eligible for UUA? I booked a itinerary in W and called in to upgrade when I was told by the agent that my fare was not eligible for UUA. I have done this exercise before, so something must have changed?
Old Jan 26, 2024, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
AARP page shows, January 31, 2024, per above, but BA's landing page shows March 30, 2024, so there you go... (I assume BA's is authoritative, since they are granting the discount)
Hot take: I just made several bookings for Sept. 2024 with the AARP discount, so there you go…..

Regards.
scubadu likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Or, just google "BA AARP Discount" and the first unsponsored link takes you here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ember-benefits
Read the T&Cs. Hint. #12.

ETA - that said, the T&C's don't indicate anything about the discount being valid for First Class, and we know that it has been, so YMMV. I suppose someone with an active membership can double-check. Mine lapsed recently and I may not renew, pending decision on who/how to fly to Europe on my next trip.
I've used this on First several times previously and alI just checked now for a dummy booking after March and the discount applies to First as well.

Last edited by ryan182; Jan 26, 2024 at 9:35 pm
Old Jan 27, 2024, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sometalkofme
Are tickets booked with AARP discount not eligible for UUA? I booked a itinerary in W and called in to upgrade when I was told by the agent that my fare was not eligible for UUA. I have done this exercise before, so something must have changed?
I had this issue on a J booking. I ended up canceling as I was within the 24h window. If you search, there are discussions on it, some have had success.
sometalkofme likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 9:48 pm

Programs: Tribe 54 Sweat Lodge 12
Doesn't work for First class.. sad. Literally signed up $12 for nothing lol...
Old Apr 18, 2024, 10:18 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by beamerbenzbentli
Doesn't work for First class.. sad. Literally signed up $12 for nothing lol...
First shows as discounted to me (searching for BOS-LHR).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.