Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forget Boris Island... Go west!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze (and dropping what happened to those days when I was back and forth to Aus/NZ?)
Forget Boris Island... Go west!

Is this really as sensible as it seems?

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/ima...%20quieter.pdf
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Wow. Initial reaction is west London folks will make sure this stalls for about 30 years. Thanks for posting, need to print out / save to iPad for further digestion though.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:08 pm

I think I'm losing the will to watch the endless discussions about UK airport capacity.

Just pick somewhere, anywhere - even NQY would do - and get on and actually build more capacity somewhere south of, say, LTN*.

We can work the rest out later

* in fact, sod it, flatten the existing LTN and build a proper international airport right there, that would be OK as well, I suppose.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:39 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
We've got plenty of capacity: LHR, LGW, LTN, STN, etc what we lack is a swept up FAST and efficient ground infrastructure linking them.

C'mon, LHR to LGW: battle through immigration, bags etc, find the bus, spend an hour (at least) on the bus around the M25 and get to LGW and start the chech-in process.

How about, for a fraction of the cost and upheaval of building new airports / expanding airports, put in a super-quick rail link (perhaps, even 'air-side') between LHR's 7 terminals (T1, T2, T3, T4, T5, N and S)?

Yes, I know that there will be complications, but 'technically' this could be workable!

I'll get my coat...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC, AAdvantage, Untied, US Airways, Skypesos, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, Priority Club.
Boris Island is in the wrong place. Too much fog and birds(and I'm not saying this from an enviro perspective, just a safety perspective). The best place would be a massive Dubai-style airport somewhere on the HS2 line between London and Birmingham. There are a few areas of outstanding natural beauty there, but once we go north of say, Stokenchurch on the M40, that shouldn't be an issue.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Since the Policy Exchange report has previously attracted comment from FTers in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...-heathrow.html thread, we'll close this thread and invite further discussion to run in the UK and Ireland forum.

Thanks for your understanding

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.