Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter midweek NRT

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Winter midweek NRT

Probably quit a specific question, but I have just been trying to get a sense of how busy my flights to NRT will be in March, using expert flyer (in WT).

I'm a bit bemused because pretty much all the midweek flights are almost wide open, showing 9 for all fares. I've checked the same flights this week and they are the same.

Is it normal for these flights to relatively quiet? If so, why would BA run such a big aircraft on the route, and why would they run it daily *and* a second to HND?

Just doesn't seem to make sense. That said, I don't have much experience with using these fare finder things. I've found in the past with other airlines that although there is high availability, the flights turn out to be relatively packed.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:25 pm

NRT is strong in all cabins. Almost always 90%+ full. March is two months away so on business heavy route bookings will be made within a month of travel. I'd say check a week before to see availability.

777-300ER is perfect for this route and offers newest product in all cabins which is important for Japanese market.

HND tends to be quieter with economy often overbooked to fill up cabins, F and W usually quiet and J doing not too bad (about 70%).
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, but as I say, WT cabins showing 9 in all fare buckets for *this* thursday, too. Thats also including O (sale fares).

Doesn't really make sense?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:39 pm

Flight this Thursday is completely empty.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Am I misunderstanding the ExpertFlyer availability checker?

BA 5
LHR
01/24/13 12:25 PM
NRT
01/25/13 9:15 AM
F8 A8 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Is that normal then?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:44 pm

It's for stimulating sales. Flight might be overbooked by 20 in economy on the day and it'll still show Y9 to max revenue.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

That sounds... odd. So basically there is no way to check how busy a flight is?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by DG55
I have read on here before that the seats showing 9 etc etc available is not really a true reflection of how many seats have actually been sold. That was from a well known poster who is no longer here but I can't find the actual post, sorry.

I took it from that only BA know how many actual seats have been sold which differs from what availability websites. That was my understanding on it.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Well if you think about it, expertflyer's 9 (meaning 9 or more seats available) will mean different things in different classes. On a 777-300 there are 185 seats in WT so a flight can be 95% full and still showing 9 seats available.

I did LHR-NRT on Saturday. I had showed 9's across the board on the run up to the flight. I was in WT+ and there were probably about 7 or 8 free seats. Back in WT I reckon it was about 95% full. I do this route (NRT or HND) a few times a year and I'd agree with lhrsinsyd's comments earlier re. loadings.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Absolutely correct. It shows what BA is prepared to sell at this moment in time. Also, seatmaps are a poor indication of load, as discussed before.

As implied up-thread, they may oversell Y/Y+ and roll people forward, rather than go out full in Y and empty up front. Any revenue is good revenue, to extent the it doesn't degrade the premium cabin experience. It's very route/season dependent.

By the same token, also expect aggressive POUGs and airport offers.

It may also, historically, be a no-show heavy route.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by dunk
By the same token, also expect aggressive POUGs and airport offers.
Very true. I often get 149 each way POUGs showing up in MMB for WT to WTP on MAN-LHR-NRT (which, even from a Tier Point perspective alone is a good deal, 70 extra TPs or 2.13/TP).

My best value POUG was 225 return for WT to WTP on a HND return. The flight was rammed in Y and ended up being double OpUp'd to F!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Talking about POUGs, do they simply come up in MMB when available?

I ask because I had the feeling there was something weird with my booking that meant I wouldn't see the offer. For example here is what it says when I click 'Upgrade this flight with money'.

To cancel or change this booking the Executive Club member who paid in full or part with their Avios or frequent flyer voucher must be logged in to their account, and then select 'View or change an existing booking'.
Truth is, I am the person who bought the flights and I am logged in. But I did book this one over the phone, and also my wife is on the booking too, if that makes any difference.

Additionally, this illusive 'view or change an existing booking' doesnt even exist!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:09 pm

Winter midweek NRT

I have always found BA5/6 nearly full every time I have flew it, even when the 744s were on the route. Last time I flew there in March last year there was people in the jump seats. Usually a reasonable op-up chance if you can catch J loadings light, as Y and W fill quickly 2 to 3 weeks before.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like I can expect it to be full. Just weird that they will still sell dirt cheap fares even though it is clearly very popular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.