Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seating Policy Guide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
I am confused by the seating policy- I am BA Bronze on a TP run. BA are telling me its £28 one way each to select J seats on LHR-BGO.

According to the tables at the start BGO is a band one and therefore it should be £20 one way. Have the rates changed post devaluation?
Unless its an HBO fare as a bronze card holder you would get free seat selection 7 days before departure.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:00 am

Programs: QR Gold, TK Gold
I recently became OW Saphire (airberlin) and just wanted to book my first flight with BA.

AFAIK I'm eligible for free seat reservation at the time of booking but the BA.com homepage wants to charge me even when I put in my FF number.

So I was wondering if that is a bug or if I have to choose the seats later on in MMB?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by birsti
I recently became OW Saphire (airberlin) and just wanted to book my first flight with BA.

AFAIK I'm eligible for free seat reservation at the time of booking but the BA.com homepage wants to charge me even when I put in my FF number.

So I was wondering if that is a bug or if I have to choose the seats later on in MMB?
If you know that you did not buy an HBO fare, just give BA a call. I had the same bug last year but did not know I could call.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If you know that you did not buy an HBO fare, just give BA a call. I had the same bug last year but did not know I could call.
THX for the fast reply.

Stupid me...what is a HBO fare?

Last edited by birsti; Sep 20, 2015 at 4:12 am Reason: Grammar is our friend
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
HBO is Hand Baggage Only. So, no checked luggage.

Don't feel bad. Sometimes it's difficult to understand some abbreviations when you first see them.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Sep 20, 2015 at 4:17 am Reason: Addition
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
HBO is Hand Baggage Only. So, no checked luggage.

Don't feel bad. Sometimes it's difficult to understand some abbreviations when you first see them.
ok then it must be some glitch...I'm in biz to SFO

thx again
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Sometimes the booking process doesn't let you choose for free even though you're entitled to it, but going through MMB immediately after booking will sort this out. We see this a lot when booking domestic flights in South Africa - "BA" flights, but operated by the local franchisee - so there's obviously a systemic glitch there.

In any event, even if MMB doesn't do the job, you can either phone to get the seat pre-allocation done (as has been said), or at worst you'd have 24 hours to cancel the booking for a full refund anyway (although this must be done by phone).
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
ok then it must be some glitch...I'm in biz to SFO

thx again
There is actually an occasional glitch in this area which will be causing more work than it is worth.

Can I perhaps encourage you to send a short PM with PNR to BA.com Official (PM link embedded) and/or put a note here (omitting PNR):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tter-free.html
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:16 pm
mry

Programs: BA, AA, Alaska Air, Air Canada
Looks like a recent (hefty) price increase. Band 1 Club World went from $113 to $121. Seven percent increase!
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Maybe this was answered somewhere but I've spent quite a bit of time looking and can't find the answer.

I'm booked in CW ORD-LHR-ORD on the 747. It's way too expensive to pay for a seat assignment. At the 24 hour mark do all seats become available for free, or are some blocked? I specifically would really like the upper deck, not sure on the chances of it filling up in the next 3 months. It's empty at the moment.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:32 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Maybe this was answered somewhere but I've spent quite a bit of time looking and can't find the answer.

I'm booked in CW ORD-LHR-ORD on the 747. It's way too expensive to pay for a seat assignment. At the 24 hour mark do all seats become available for free, or are some blocked? I specifically would really like the upper deck, not sure on the chances of it filling up in the next 3 months. It's empty at the moment.
At Online checkin all remaining seats will be available for free. If you want the Upper deck then I would strongly suggest to do this at exactly T-24 hours if you don't want to pay. For your info there are only a limited number of seats you can reserve on the Upper Deck if you don't have status.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PETER01
At Online checkin all remaining seats will be available for free. If you want the Upper deck then I would strongly suggest to do this at exactly T-24 hours if you don't want to pay. For your info there are only a limited number of seats you can reserve on the Upper Deck if you don't have status.
Thanks ^ I was worried that maybe only those I could pay for now would be available for free at checkin, greatly reducing my chances.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Thanks ^ I was worried that maybe only those I could pay for now would be available for free at checkin, greatly reducing my chances.
The rest of the upper deck will show what is available. The only seats that can be booked by non status holders (unless travellng on a fully flexible fare) are, if I recall correctly:

63 A/B/J/K
64 B

Apologies of you already know this but if you do a 'dummy' fully flexible booking on ba.com for your flight you will be able to see if any seats have been taken so far on the UD. However, seats can come and go and your flight is still a long way off.

Good luck!
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I specifically would really like the upper deck, not sure on the chances of it filling up in the next 3 months.
To be frank, quite high. Obviously, there's a degree of variability. But there's a reason why non-status non-full fare passengers have only limited access to the UD - it is very popular, and IME it is often fully booked long before OLCI opens at T-24h.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:11 am

Flying J tomorrow as a couple,
All the middle pair seats suddenly filled up yesterday so I panicked and paid to book two together so we weren't separate. When I OLCI this afternoon they had already placed us in the pair as if they preallocated these 36 hrs out. Do they preallocate couples to seats?

Feel a bit cheated of £180 now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.