Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seating Policy Guide

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 2:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Call out to our Silver and Bronze members. When checking in for your long haul flights, are you now being asked to pay for exit row seats or is this still being offered on a free of charge basis?
Old May 22, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Prospero
Call out to our Silver and Bronze members. When checking in for your long haul flights, are you now being asked to pay for exit row seats or is this still being offered on a free of charge basis?
Still free to me as a Silver ... Very recently, due to aircraft change, repositioned into 63B on the 744 UD without any problem.
Old May 23, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Bronze
My sincere apologies. The prices on that slide were positioned out of synch after I reformatted the layout but this has now been corrected. Thanks for spotting this error.
Thanks !

I couldn't imagine who would pay to sit in the middle
Old May 23, 2014, 10:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Apologies to those engaged with one another in this thread to argue the rights and wrongs of BA's charging for business class seat assignments. The purpose of this thread is really to discuss the mechanics of reserving seats. There are plenty of other threads in the forum much better geared to grousing/rejoicing/despising/revering the policy, so let's keep this line clear to those seeking information.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old May 28, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat - 2MM, Delta - GM
Exit seat with under-12 in group

I am flying CW in July with my 2 kids, ages 11 and 13. I don't think any of us can pick exit seats based on the following statement from BA's site on exit seats:

•If any passenger in the booking is not eligible to sit in an exit row, exit row seats will not be offered for the entire booking.

Can anyone confirm that is the case? I know on AA, parents are not allowed to sit in exit seats when flying with non-eligible children. From the above statement, it seems the same is true for BA.

What has me confused is that I am able to select the exit seats on MMB for myself and 13 year old, even though we are on the same booking as the 11 year old.

Thanks
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:08 am

ba paid seat allocation

We have recently booked in business class from heathrow to sao paulo. on booking the aircraft was a 747 and we paid about £90 to book seats in the upper deck. ba have now changed the aircraft and there is no upper deck. paid seats in the lower deck were at least £20+ cheaper, and in fact we would probably not have bothered paying for seat for the lower deck. i have tried in vain to contact ba to discuss this and wonder if i would be eligible for a refund. their policy is to endeavour to re-allocated a seat to your satisfaction. i am in fact not satisfied at all, no seat in the lower deck could be comparably satisfactory to one in the upper deck. the flight is not until next february and i am wondering whether to wait as the aircraft could be changed many times before this, or just to go ahead with a refund request.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:12 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by janetandroy4748
We have recently booked in business class from heathrow to sao paulo. on booking the aircraft was a 747 and we paid about £90 to book seats in the upper deck. ba have now changed the aircraft and there is no upper deck. paid seats in the lower deck were at least £20+ cheaper, and in fact we would probably not have bothered paying for seat for the lower deck. i have tried in vain to contact ba to discuss this and wonder if i would be eligible for a refund. their policy is to endeavour to re-allocated a seat to your satisfaction. i am in fact not satisfied at all, no seat in the lower deck could be comparably satisfactory to one in the upper deck. the flight is not until next february and i am wondering whether to wait as the aircraft could be changed many times before this, or just to go ahead with a refund request.
I would wait and request a refund after travel which you would be entitled to according to:
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...es-and-refunds

You can claim a refund for reserved seats if:

There is an aircraft change and we are unable to seat you in a suitable alternative seat that you are happy with.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:31 pm

do we have to wait until the flight has taken place, or can we request a refund now.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:26 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by janetandroy4748
do we have to wait until the flight has taken place, or can we request a refund now.
You can request one now, however your current seat allocation may well be removed.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by nux
You can request one now, however your current seat allocation may well be removed.
It should be, because to trigger a refund means that they were "unable to seat you in a suitable alternative seat that you are happy with", although I agree that the difference between the UD and LD fee should be refunded anyway.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
I'm on a LHR-LAX flight via the A380, I'm booked in World Traveler Plus, When do the first row (row 60) opens up for selection?

When I flew LAX-LHR I thought those seats will never open. But 3 or 4 days prior to the flight I noticed that they did, but some of the seats already were selected.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:45 am

I'm fairly certain I know this answer, but asking anyway. We are a family of 5, 3 adults and 2 children (3 and 7 at flying), looking to fly RT from TPA to LGW direct on BA in business. Am I correct in saying if we want to keep the 5 of us together (and not torture anyone else in the cabin) we'll have to pay $500 for advanced seating?
Thanks
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:51 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jenkatt
I'm fairly certain I know this answer, but asking anyway. We are a family of 5, 3 adults and 2 children (3 and 7 at flying), looking to fly RT from TPA to LGW direct on BA in business. Am I correct in saying if we want to keep the 5 of us together (and not torture anyone else in the cabin) we'll have to pay $500 for advanced seating?
Thanks
If you want to ensure you all sit together, yes.
You can otherwise try to checkin as soon as OLCI opens and hope to either get 5 seats together, or close by.

If you haven't booked tickets, just factor in the extra seating cost when comparing prices.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:47 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I'm bronze and no longer offered exit rows for free 7 days out. I'm flying on Saturday evening (east coast NA time) in WT+. Until today the exit rows were available for a price, but the bulkheads were blocked off. Today the exit rows are mysteriously unavailable but the bulkheads can now be selected. I find it hard to believe that all 6 exit rows were sold in one go overnight so something is going on.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:59 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ziz
I'm bronze and no longer offered exit rows for free 7 days out. I'm flying on Saturday evening (east coast NA time) in WT+. Until today the exit rows were available for a price, but the bulkheads were blocked off. Today the exit rows are mysteriously unavailable but the bulkheads can now be selected. I find it hard to believe that all 6 exit rows were sold in one go overnight so something is going on.
What flight number? It is easy to see whether the seats have been allocated or are simply blocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.