Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seating Policy Guide

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:53 am

Just a quick one. How do you book exit seats in WT for a Transatlantic flight in a few months time? Can you do this online under "Manage My Booking" or do you need to speak to BA? I know these seats can't be reserved until at least 2 weeks prior to departure but am stumped as to how to go about it. I'm a poor (Blue) Executive Club Member if that is relevant.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by evans88
Just a quick one. How do you book exit seats in WT for a Transatlantic flight in a few months time? Can you do this online under "Manage My Booking" or do you need to speak to BA? I know these seats can't be reserved until at least 2 weeks prior to departure but am stumped as to how to go about it. I'm a poor (Blue) Executive Club Member if that is relevant.
2 weeks beforehand you can select them under select seats.

J
Old Jul 30, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
If, as a Gold card holder, I have selected an Exit row seat (in say WT+), am I more or less likely to be entered into the op-up lottery in the event of overbooking?

I can see a certain logic in it reducing my chances - after all they have a frequent flyer in an exit row and it would be easier to "leave be" rather than also having to consider whether the candidate for moving/squeezing onto the flight is suitable for occupying an exit row.

That said, I've still opted for 29K on most of my upcoming 774 flights!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:04 am

Thanks Jenzo. So you can book exit seats in WT 2 weeks in advance under "Select Seats". As you need to get in quick does the 2 weeks begin at precisely the time of your flight or is it more random than that? By that I mean if the flight is at 11.20am does the 2 week period begin at precisely 11.20am 14 days before the flight is due to take off?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: QFF, VA, IHG
BA Seating Policy Guide

Hi. I'm a OWE - QF WP - and will be flying NCE - LGW in a couple of months. We selected seats but can't select forward of about row 9 at the moment. Do the forward Y seats open up a set number of days before departure? Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Aus ATC
Hi. I'm a OWE - QF WP - and will be flying NCE - LGW in a couple of months. We selected seats but can't select forward of about row 9 at the moment. Do the forward Y seats open up a set number of days before departure? Thanks.
3 days before.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 7:29 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by evans88
Thanks Jenzo. So you can book exit seats in WT 2 weeks in advance under "Select Seats". As you need to get in quick does the 2 weeks begin at precisely the time of your flight or is it more random than that? By that I mean if the flight is at 11.20am does the 2 week period begin at precisely 11.20am 14 days before the flight is due to take off?
I believe you also now need to pay for exit row seats on longhaul, from £50.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
[B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]

CAA Requirements for sitting in exit rows
In accordance with CAA requirements, the following categories of customers cannot be allocated an exit seat.
  • Customers who are either substantially blind or substantially deaf, to the extent that they might not readily assimilate printed or verbal instructions given.
  • Customers who are unable to understand and carry out instructions given in English.
  • Customers who are unable to reach, open, lift and throw out the exit door in an emergency.
  • Customers who because of physical stature, age or sickness have difficulty in moving quickly.
  • Children under 12 (whether accompanied or not) and infants.
  • Customers who are travelling with anyone who would require their assistance in the event of an emergency.

When requesting an exit seat you will be asked to verify eligibility.

I know safety trumps political correctness but I wonder if anyone has tried or get round this on grounds of discrimination
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:24 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
I know safety trumps political correctness but I wonder if anyone has tried or get round this on grounds of discrimination
I'm sorry but it is not going to happen. The requirements for passengers seated in exit rows comes from the CAA. I know some countries provide a specific exemption in their equivelant of the Disability Discrimination Act for the CAA regulations.

I believe exemption under the UK Disability Discrimination Act is provided under Section 19 for Provision of Services:

(1) For the purposes of section 19, a provider of services discriminates against a disabled person if— .
(b)he cannot show that the treatment in question is justified.

(3) For the purposes of this section, treatment is justified only if— .
(a)in the opinion of the provider of services, one or more of the conditions mentioned in subsection (4) are satisfied; and .
(b)it is reasonable, in all the circumstances of the case, for him to hold that opinion.

(4) in any case, the treatment is necessary in order not to endanger the health or safety of any person (which may include that of the disabled person);
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by nux
I'm sorry but it is not going to happen. The requirements for passengers seated in exit rows comes from the CAA. I know some countries provide a specific exemption in their equivelant of the Disability Discrimination Act for the CAA regulations.

I believe exemption under the UK Disability Discrimination Act is provided under Section 19 for Provision of Services:
Yeah, I thought so. It just made me giggle a bit because we're not supposed to talk about stuff like that

Those rules also confirm what I already suspected that I can't sit in an exit row because I might not be able to move fast enough, or help with the door. but that is due to OTHER REASONS!
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: ALL Accor Platinum
The other half and I, both Silvers are flying economy to Nice with BA. BAEC details added to the booking but when either of us try and select seats we are being charged 10 pounds per seat (exit row and non exit row). A glitch in the system?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mike_P
The other half and I, both Silvers are flying economy to Nice with BA. BAEC details added to the booking but when either of us try and select seats we are being charged 10 pounds per seat (exit row and non exit row). A glitch in the system?
Is it definitely £10 for each seat? I thought exit rows cost £20 though ISTBC
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Mike_P
A glitch in the system?
Probably the same glitch as has been reported back on here:-
Originally Posted by aSWUplz
I called BAEC and they have confirmed it's a bug on BA.com, and the technical team is working to fix it in the next 48 hours.

It's the same bug that was preventing other OW tier members from choosing their seats too (per other post, thanks Globaliser).

In the meantime, calling the BAEC desk will enable qualifying pax to select their seats for free.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
Is it definitely £10 for each seat? I thought exit rows cost £20 though ISTBC
£10, according to this post above: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20030917-post2.html
Old Aug 17, 2013, 4:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by evans88 View Post

I believe you also now need to pay for exit row seats on longhaul, from £50.

I understand that you have to pay but at what point are exit row seats released? Is it exactly to the minute 2 weeks before take off or is it more random than that?

If exit row seats are not available is it possible to pay for a switch into Premium Economy at check in subject to availability? Is it cheaper to do it this way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.