Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 787 Dreamliner pre-delivery discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 787 Dreamliner pre-delivery discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by alwaysbanevervs
Interesting you should make a comparison with the Comet - another jet with oversized windows. Hope that's not a bad omen!

IIRC it was the windows on the Comet that were too big and the aircraft couldn't cope with the repeated pressurisation/depresserisation, although I'm sure this won't be a problem on the 787.
Too square, in the Comet's case - stress fractures from the corners were its doom.

As to the 787, that will be for generations beyond mine to determine.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Another JAL 787 is grounded at BOS due to a fuel leak today so that's 3 JAL 787s in BOS that are not flying
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by ANstar
Another JAL 787 is grounded at BOS due to a fuel leak today so that's 3 JAL 787s in BOS that are not flying
Is one the same aircraft ? It seems very coincidental......just saying...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:34 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by missdimeaner
Is one the same aircraft ? It seems very coincidental......just saying...
No it is a different one. A mate in UA says they have voluntarily (ie no FAA or BCA directive) grounded their 3 787's for electrical and fuel system checks.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
~ BOH any comment around lithium batteries? we are never allowed to ship equipment as cargo with said batteries....
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:53 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
~ BOH any comment around lithium batteries? we are never allowed to ship equipment as cargo with said batteries....
Don't know enough about them TBH - only that they do have a known problem with thermal runaway because they have a negative temperature coefficient. In other words, if they overheat then their internal resistance lowers which in turn further increases the current and raises temperature even further....then "bang" and a fire.

However, the certification process is just huge for these sort of products on civil aircraft and even more so for ETOPS flights so the amount of testing and result submissions and risk assessments already carried would have been massive.

I do believe the A380 uses them too but am not 100% sure...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by BOH
No it is a different one. A mate in UA says they have voluntarily (ie no FAA or BCA directive) grounded their 3 787's for electrical and fuel system checks.
Glad to hear it, always makes me think when one particular aircraft continually has problems....also glad to hear BA going to wait for 100 787 & 380's to roll off the line first. ^
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:12 pm
BOH

Originally Posted by missdimeaner
Glad to hear it, always makes me think when one particular aircraft continually has problems....also glad to hear BA going to wait for 100 787 & 380's to roll off the line first. ^
I see your point - but I thought the opposite and was more concerned as it appears to increasingly indicate some systemic technical problems with the 787 now.

There have now been a number of electrical related faults and fuel leaks across a number of different aircraft now. Admittedly the sample size is still quite small but it would appear some resemblance of a pattern is emerging. I so hope not though
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:33 pm

I presume with the B787 it is necessary to start the APU inflight in the case of an engine or generator failure,which is not a requirement for the A380.If that is the case,and the APU battery has a fault that risks a fire on startup,that could prove very difficult for ETOPS approval.
It would be very unpleasant to have a battery fire mid pacific.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:39 pm

In flight, if three or more engine generators go offline, the APU automatically starts, regardless of APU selector position. When the automatic start condition is no longer valid, the APU can be shut down by positioning the selector to ON, then OFF. When the automatic start condition is valid, the APU can only be shut down by pulling the APU fire switch.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sigwx
In flight, if three or more engine generators go offline, the APU automatically starts, regardless of APU selector position. When the automatic start condition is no longer valid, the APU can be shut down by positioning the selector to ON, then OFF. When the automatic start condition is valid, the APU can only be shut down by pulling the APU fire switch.
That would seem to give the FAA rather a dilemma as what to do about APU battery fires.Lets hope it was some other kind of glitch that set it off.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by alwaysbanevervs
Yes, although not sure if they could order/build the new 77Ws in time.

I expect it will mean delays to retiring of the 767 fleet, and delays to new WT, WT+ and maybe even further delays to NF (if they were going to be used on existing F routes).

Im sorry I wasnt being 100% serious with my comments.

But if we do end up seeing further delays to the 787 deliveries I would expect BA to see some further compo from Boeing in respect of the delays, I wouldnt be surprised to see the 7 x 763s that are scheduled not to have the spruce up actually end up getting it and as such staying in the fleet for longer than we were expecting.

Just my thoughts being thrown out there

cs
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by SouthOxon
Quite; best to stick to tried n' tested models.
So the 777 isn't tried and tested? Okay there was the BA crash landing - but isn't the 777 one of the only airliners never to have had a fatal incident (in nearly 20 years).....?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
So the 777 isn't tried and tested? Okay there was the BA crash landing - but isn't the 777 one of the only airliners never to have had a fatal incident (in nearly 20 years).....?
I believe so. It is the one aircraft AF have yet to break
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
I believe so. It is the one aircraft AF have yet to break

Stress the YET

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.