FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA 787 Dreamliner pre-delivery discussion thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1425393-ba-787-dreamliner-pre-delivery-discussion-thread.html)

Flexible preferences Jan 8, 2013 5:02 am

BA 787 Dreamliner pre-delivery discussion thread

After the Japan Airline's Dreamliner fire at Boston, I wonder if there will be delivery delays on BA's dreamliners now.

ACARS Jan 8, 2013 5:14 am

It may well cause a delay. It depends on what JAL/NTSB/BOEING find to be the cause. It could be a 'quick fix' or a major redesign. Initially it looks like the APU battery which caught fire. Guess what type of battery it is?

http://www.gsyuasa-lp.com/aviation-lithium-ion-markets

cornishsimon Jan 8, 2013 5:15 am

Well if it does mean delays we could see some more 77Ws than we were expecting

cs

Flexible preferences Jan 8, 2013 5:24 am

Originally Posted by cornishsimon (Post 20000623)
Well if it does mean delays we could see some more 77Ws than we were expecting

cs

Yes, although not sure if they could order/build the new 77Ws in time.

I expect it will mean delays to retiring of the 767 fleet, and delays to new WT, WT+ and maybe even further delays to NF (if they were going to be used on existing F routes).

clarkeysntfc Jan 8, 2013 5:46 am

Originally Posted by alwaysbanevervs (Post 20000660)
Yes, although not sure if they could order/build the new 77Ws in time.

I expect it will mean delays to retiring of the 767 fleet, and delays to new WT, WT+ and maybe even further delays to NF (if they were going to be used on existing F routes).

Just by the by, The 787's are going to be 3 class machines without F. I agree with the rest of your comment though :)

SouthOxon Jan 8, 2013 6:02 am

There are simply too many issues with the Dreamliner. However much development work was put in it was clearly not enough. The worst fault I have heard of is the faulty fuel line couplings by the hot area of the engine; just what you want letting go at 38,000 feet, as happened to the RAF Nimrod that blew up over Afghanistan. I certainly will not be flying on any Dreamilners until they are fully debugged.

1010101 Jan 8, 2013 8:20 am

Originally Posted by SouthOxon (Post 20000805)
There are simply too many issues with the Dreamliner. However much development work was put in it was clearly not enough. The worst fault I have heard of is the faulty fuel line couplings by the hot area of the engine; just what you want letting go at 38,000 feet, as happened to the RAF Nimrod that blew up over Afghanistan. I certainly will not be flying on any Dreamilners until they are fully debugged.

They're no worse than any other type in its first months/years in operation.

A330 - crashed during testing due to an autopilot error.
A380 - cracked wings and exploding engines.
777 - has had engine problems for many years.

The 787 issues are not unique and i wouldn't be more reluctant to fly on it over any other new aircraft.

SouthOxon Jan 8, 2013 8:40 am

Originally Posted by phol (Post 20001639)
They're no worse than any other type in its first months/years in operation.

A330 - crashed during testing due to an autopilot error.
A380 - cracked wings and exploding engines.
777 - has had engine problems for many years.

The 787 issues are not unique and i wouldn't be more reluctant to fly on it over any other new aircraft.

Quite; best to stick to tried n' tested models.

Flexible preferences Jan 8, 2013 8:50 am

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc (Post 20000740)
Just by the by, The 787's are going to be 3 class machines without F. I agree with the rest of your comment though :)

I realise that. Sorry, I should have been clearer - what I meant was if the 3 class dreamliners were due to take over any existing 4 class routes. For instance Vancouver. That would mean that BA couldn't retire any of the old mid J 747s that haven't been converted. Pure speculation I know, but just wondering. Delayed NF is a bugbear of mine :mad:

Petrus Jan 8, 2013 9:02 am

In WAW at the moment and noticed yesterday one of their 787's doing what looked like ground tests/apron taxi as we touched down on BA from LHR.

Spoke to Aviation interested cab driver today and he said there have been 15 reported problems with the the two LO 787's since inception resulting in cancellation and return to homebase.

I'm sure these are teething problems like with any new airliner. At least I hope so. Last year when we went to Seattle to pick up BA's latest 773 (G-STBF) I spoke to BA Director of Operations (nice gentleman) about the fleet among other things, and he said that BA specifically and exactly for the above reported problems will not take any 787's before no. 100.

Jimmie76 Jan 8, 2013 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Petrus (Post 20001960)
In WAW at the moment and noticed yesterday one of their 787's doing what looked like ground tests/apron taxi as we touched down on BA from LHR.

Spoke to Aviation interested cab driver today and he said there have been 15 reported problems with the the two LO 787's since inception resulting in cancellation and return to homebase.

I'm sure these are teething problems like with any new airliner. At least I hope so. Last year when we went to Seattle to pick up BA's latest 773 (G-STBF) I spoke to BA Director of Operations (nice gentleman) about the fleet among other things, and he said that BA specifically and exactly for the above reported problems will not take any 787's before no. 100.

Sounds sensible! ^

FLT001 Jan 8, 2013 9:33 am

I think the Americans have a rule that only Airbus aircraft can be grounded ;)

Skipcool3 Jan 8, 2013 9:36 am

Guess what type of battery it is?

I thought it was well known that lithium batteries could explode on aircraft.....:confused::confused::confused:

T8191 Jan 8, 2013 10:19 am

All new aircraft have problems, hopefully resolved during testing.

Nobody expected what happened to the D.H. Comet 1, but I would earnestly have hoped the aircraft industry [Boeing] would have moved on a bit better than this incident indicates.

Keep looking after those 767s and, especially, 744s please.

Flexible preferences Jan 8, 2013 10:39 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 20002513)
All new aircraft have problems, hopefully resolved during testing.

Nobody expected what happened to the D.H. Comet 1, but I would earnestly have hoped the aircraft industry [Boeing] would have moved on a bit better than this incident indicates.

Keep looking after those 767s and, especially, 744s please.

Interesting you should make a comparison with the Comet - another jet with oversized windows. Hope that's not a bad omen!

IIRC it was the windows on the Comet that were too big and the aircraft couldn't cope with the repeated pressurisation/depresserisation, although I'm sure this won't be a problem on the 787.