Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

UK AmEx (BA/LTSB/MBNA) - Spend £5 at Small Retailer get £5 back - Nov 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:20 am

Thought I'd chime in with my experience of this promo so far.

I'd already taken advantage of previous Amex/Foursquare deals (£10 back a at restaurants, £25 at Harvey Nic's) with absolutely no trouble.
When Shop Small started, I thought I might as well continue using that method rather than the direct sign-up. However, after the first use at Borough Market all of the participating businesses disappeared from Foursquare! Tried then to register on the Amex site but it told me the card was already on there. Called Amex to verify and they were reasonably confident it would be fine.

Proceeded to try again without Foursquare and it did work, however the confirmation message came though Foursquare, even though I hadn't checked in! No email though. Carried on like this at a few bars before heading back to Harvey Nic's for the replay of their offer, at which point the messages stopped. Same for the next 2 Shop Small purchases. Third time it started working again and has done since.

That might be a bit of a rambling account but clearly shows there are issues in the system. Called Amex about the missing credits and they dealt with it immediately. As for Foursquare though; I've been trying to contact them to submit a bug report but they don't seem to give a monkeys. Terrible attitude for a company that wants to expand!

The Foursquare bug has occurred for two friends of mine as well, and affects Android and iOS versions. Had to create a spoof Foursquare account to at least be able to find the businesses, though if I had the time I'd just pull the data out using the Foursquare API.

Make sure you always ask each business about the Amex policy before making a purchase and you'll be fine. The only thing that's complaining about this offer is my liver
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Just had my first £5 credit show up... Yippee!

How about that pub crawl?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
I have registered my 3 cards and they all work.

I use Foursquare for reference but don't bother to load card.
Note for some reason the app doesn't show the complete list, you have to move around the map a little and click "Search this location" and voila a new list appears. Same with the website.

After I have done the required spend an email pretty much appears within minutes.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by johnny5a
I have registered my 3 cards and they all work.

I use Foursquare for reference but don't bother to load card.
Note for some reason the app doesn't show the complete list, you have to move around the map a little and click "Search this location" and voila a new list appears. Same with the website.

After I have done the required spend an email pretty much appears within minutes.
I have 4 potentially eligible Amex cards:

Gold (arrived today, yipee)
BAPP
MBNA BMI
Lloyds Avios

I am reluctant to register all 4 since the T+C clearly stated you could only register 1 eligible card so I'm afraid of that coming back to bite me and therefore only registered the BAPP.

Have you used multiple cards at the same retailer? and have you seen £5 credits come in for all 3?

The emails are pretty cool and do come quickly, this got me thinking wouldn't it be nice if you could get an email every time a transaction was processed on your card?

Would certainly help you spot fraudulent activity a lot faster and this promo clearly shows they have the capability to do it!!

Also, I have noticed that the £5 credits seem to be treated as refunds, so therefore they also deduct 8 Avios from your points balance which I assume also means the £5 spend won't count towards your 241 voucher either

Last edited by PanGalactic; Nov 8, 2012 at 4:50 pm
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
I have 4 potentially eligible Amex cards:

Gold (arrived today, yipee)
BAPP
MBNA BMI
Lloyds Avios

I am reluctant to register all 4 since the T+C clearly stated you could only register 1 eligible card so I'm afraid of that coming back to bite me and therefore only registered the BAPP.

Have you used multiple cards at the same retailer? and have you seen £5 credits come in for all 3?

The emails are pretty cool and do come quickly, this got me thinking wouldn't it be nice if you could get an email every time a transaction was processed on your card?

Would certainly help you spot fraudulent activity a lot faster and this promo clearly shows they have the capability to do it!!

Also, I have noticed that the £5 credits seem to be treated as refunds, so therefore they also deduct 8 Avios from your points balance which I assume also means the £5 spend won't count towards your 241 voucher either
hmm I'll back off and only use one card. and I will use one of my wife's cards as well.

I have used multiple cards at a single retailers.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by PanGalactic

Don't see why not. It happens in other countries (S.Africa that I know of) - but I guess the fraudulent aspect isn't as high in this country so maybe not seen as something customers want.

So far I've received credits on my BA PP card. Now waiting for credits to appear (from the same store) on my Lloyds Amex...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:04 am

My favourite restaurant is on the list. Three course lunch for two for £4.90 in total. Amazing! (anyone in the north east wanting a recommendation let me know)
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Do household cards count or is it just the main card holder who benefits? I can't find the answer.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
For Edinburgh, I noticed on Foursquare the following:
- spend £25 or more and get £25 back in Harvey nicks
- spend £20 or more in Argos and get £5 back
- spend £10 or more in gap and get £10 back

Hope that helps
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Main cardholder and secondary cardholders both get the discount if on separate Foursquare
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by francismc
Main cardholder and secondary cardholders both get the discount if on separate Foursquare
Thanks. I'll do all my claims through foursquare to be safe.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:36 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver

Ok. I can take a hint... No pub crawl... :-(

However --

If anyone is interested in a London pub crawl some day this week, PM me...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:14 am

Programs: WestJet Dollars, BAEC, Aeroplan, AirMiles, IHG, BW and others
No participants in Cumbria at all by the look of it!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold(Partner), Asia Miles, BAEC Blue, Goldpoint Plus
Cool Shop Small Promo

I went to a cafe in Coventry - the owner was adamant they don't take AMEX. I called up AMEX they refunded a fiver for me straight away.

Does anyone know if you have a MBNA Amex, is it possible for the supplementary cardholders to sign up for the shop small offer as well? (since unlike normal AMEX - MBNA Amex shares the same card number with the primary account holder)

Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Gold, AF Gold, AA; Marriott Silver, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
When the statement credit of £5 does appear on your account, does it show which retailer it's credited against? I used the cards at 6 places listed on their website today, but only got 4 confirmation emails. Wondering if I would be able to tell which ones does not credit and I can then call Amex about them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.