Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

UK AmEx (BA/LTSB/MBNA) - Spend £5 at Small Retailer get £5 back - Nov 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK AmEx (BA/LTSB/MBNA) - Spend £5 at Small Retailer get £5 back - Nov 2012

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by dgm
Has anyone actually had a credit back yet? I'm having issues with the tracking and all sorts!
Got my first £5 credit today from a transaction made on 1 Nov. This was on the BA PP AMEX.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by cmcbugg
Got my first £5 credit today from a transaction made on 1 Nov. This was on the BA PP AMEX.
Did you get the email confirmation shortly after the transaction.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
My first credit has appeared today too, from the 1st Nov, and I received the email 10 mins after swiping.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by xcalx
Did you get the email confirmation shortly after the transaction.
Yes, each time I've used the card I have received an email (usually within a couple of minutes).
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Went to my local French cafe in Clapham Common and used my foursquare - thanks )

However, noticed that all other Amex offers around the area dissappeared. That's not good
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC
Can you buy goods online from any of these retailers? There's nothing much in the Glossop area.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I was surprised when I looked at the list of participating retailers and saw a lot of places in my neighborhood that have never been taking Amex, and to be honest, I never expected this to change. Tried my luck today and no joy... Ended up paying using my MasterCard -- not sure if this is what Amex had in mind putting together this list and launching the promo?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by mec72
I was surprised when I looked at the list of participating retailers and saw a lot of places in my neighborhood that have never been taking Amex, and to be honest, I never expected this to change. Tried my luck today and no joy... Ended up paying using my MasterCard -- not sure if this is what Amex had in mind putting together this list and launching the promo?
I think a lot of retailers have the facility to take Amex but choose not to as the fees are higher, eg: my local off license.

I doubt if Amex would publish an incorrect list to be honest.

Did they try putting the card through and the machine rejected it? Or did they just look at your card and say "erm, we don't take amex".

I have not come across any retailers on the list so far who didn't take amex, although some did have a £10 minimum to accept any credit card, but I have had a couple of retailers not want to take the card who then changed when I offered to pay 50p extra on a £5 transaction for the privilege.

Incidentally, 7 days into the promo and I've already made my Amex BAPP fee back £5 at a time
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic

Did they try putting the card through and the machine rejected it? Or did they just look at your card and say "erm, we don't take amex".
They put the card in the machine and it got rejected.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by mec72
They put the card in the machine and it got rejected.
Fair enough

I think I read someone mentioned they had a similar experience but Amex refunded them their £5 anyway even though they paid on another card.

Depends if you can be bothered to make a phone call to complain over £5.
I probably wouldn't bother personally and just do the walk of shame out of the store if they wouldn't accept Amex.

I guess if enough people do bother to complain though Amex will soon update the list!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I doubt if Amex would publish an incorrect list to be honest.
I agree but a bit more diligence might have been appropriate here.

The retailers on the list are described by Amex as 'participating'. As I see it, those who could take the card but decide not to do so don't fall within that category.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Nov 8, 2012 at 7:33 am
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Used the promo for the first time yesterday. I'd barely put my jacket on after paying for my lunch when the email pinged through to my phone. Impressive!

I think I read someone mentioned they had a similar experience but Amex refunded them their £5 anyway even though they paid on another card.
That's what the chap on the phone told me today - I called about another matter, and at the end of the call he asked if I knew about the promo. He said that if I was having trouble with it (or couldn't use Amex where they said I could), call them up with some details and they'd give the credit anyway.

Just a thought - maybe their own merchant database isn't up to date, and they're using their customers to do the legwork in finding out which ones they need to remove (or sign up)?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:26 am
09R

"Limit one statement credit per Card at each "Shop Small" "

does that mean i can register my ba pp and plat card and use them once each in the same shop?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by jonnykanzen

does that mean i can register my ba pp and plat card and use them once each in the same shop?
Yes
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by jonnykanzen
"Limit one statement credit per Card at each "Shop Small" "

Just be careful registering more than one card, looks like there are no guarantees it will work (although I have had a registration email for the second card I registered and a purchase confirmation for this card at the one shop I have used twice with different cards).

The T&C do say: "You may register only one Eligible Card for the Programme Offer."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.