Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing your membership year

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
But if people could constantly change the membership year end, where does it stop?
In my case I would like a one-off change to Mrs srbrenna's date so that her year would end a month early. This would give her 11 months to get the 600 TPs needed for Silver (she will have 580 by mid Dec anyway). This would not be an advantage. Well not much! BA can look at my HHA and see that it has been running for a long time and that we all have the same surname! I'm not that bothered about synching Master (now Mr ) srbrenna as he doesn't fly enough!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
In order to allow people to end their membership year early you would need to differentiate between membership year and status year.

Someone could end their membership year after six months without having re-qualified for their status. They would then have 12 months to re-qualify for that status level but would only be entitled to their existing status for a further seven months. So if they didn't re-qualify until after 9 months into their new year they would drop a status level for a few months before bouncing back up again.

To avoid confusion you would need to make it a rule that at the point they reset their year they also end any current status they have unless they have already re-qualified. That adds complication and also gives an advantage to those who have already re-qualified over those who have not.

Back to the original question of HHA alignment, I like the idea but the devil as always is in the detail. It would need to be fair and impartial and give no advantage over those who are not in a HHA.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:20 am
Company Representative - British Airways
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
PS. Nicci, how can it be 'technically not possible to change the year end' when this is what you have been doing for bmi Diamond Club members who are doing a Silver to Silver or Gold to Gold status match?!
Hi Raffles

This is automated through the system and not fixed by us - we can't in the technical sense manually manipulate the year end. Not even by exception.

I hope this explains things

regards

Nicci
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by travellingblade
In order to allow people to end their membership year early you would need to differentiate between membership year and status year.
Not necesessarily.

Someone could end their membership year after six months without having re-qualified for their status. They would then have 12 months to re-qualify for that status level but would only be entitled to their existing status for a further seven months. So if they didn't re-qualify until after 9 months into their new year they would drop a status level for a few months before bouncing back up again.
Agree that would horribly complicated.

To avoid confusion you would need to make it a rule that at the point they reset their year they also end any current status they have unless they have already re-qualified. That adds complication and also gives an advantage to those who have already re-qualified over those who have not.
Well, that what I was expecting to happen anyway. Your current year ends, and your next begins from that date for a year.

It is up to people to deciede if they want to push the button to reset.

Keep in mind, either party could reset early. So if a member with status did not want to loose time with status, they could press the reset button.

The other option is the card expiry would not be affected. Currenlty your card expires a month after you would end your year. The card could remain valid until original expiry. Only being replaced sooner if promoted higher.

Back to the original question of HHA alignment, I like the idea but the devil as always is in the detail. It would need to be fair and impartial and give no advantage over those who are not in a HHA.
I though the original question was about year end dates generally and changing them. With regard to HHAs, it must only be an OPTION.

Plenty of people in HHAs will like thiers, even if it differs from their partner. Some members here put effort into adjusting theirs (by gaining status under the old rules) before the new rules took effect.

That may have been to sync. But in some other cases it was just people adjusting to what they wanted themselves.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I joined BA Executive Club last year and didn't realise immediately how Household Accounts worked. As soon as I did I opened an account for my daughter and created a HA but too late for her to have the same membership date as me - my year ends on 8th December, hers on 8th January.

I do find it rather frustrating that if we fly over the Christmas holiday period I gain tier points for the next year and she doesn't. As all her tier points from flights are exactly the same as mine I find the situation rather ridiculous and despite asking cannot get one date changed so we are aligned.

I do think when it comes to Household Accounts BA need to look at this again - certainly in my situation when the accounts are just one month out I fail to see why something cannot be done to harmonise the membership dates. If there was a six month difference and people were hoping to use the situation to increase their TP in a year I could see the point but for the sake of a month it's annoying BA won't entertain it.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
No disrespect intended, I assure you, but that's why everyone should read the T&C carefully before signing up to things. I'm not being sanctimonious - I've made that sort of mistake in the past, but I'm very careful nowadays!

So you are where you are. Sad but true. I wish my birthday wasn't on Haloween, and there's bugger all I can do about that either
Old Oct 31, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
without changing the membership year..why cant TPs start accruing for the next membership year, at least beyond gold.

For instance, you get 2780 TPs. 2500 are up to GUF and 280 are credited for the next year.

I am ending my membership year with over 7000TPs and it ends Dec 8th. I have actually postponed one NY trip from Dec 2nd to Dec 9 (although from a business perspective it marginally made more sense to leave on Dec 2).

I did it but wished BA could credit some of the extra TPs gained this year.

Something Flying Blue for instance has no problem doing for its top earners.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
No disrespect intended, I assure you, but that's why everyone should read the T&C carefully before signing up to things. I'm not being sanctimonious - I've made that sort of mistake in the past, but I'm very careful nowadays!

So you are where you are. Sad but true. I wish my birthday wasn't on Haloween, and there's bugger all I can do about that either
Yes I should have gone through the T&Cs with a fine tooth comb but in my defence having never used a FF programme before I stupidly ASSumed children couldn't join.

I realised my mistake within 2 weeks of joining but unfortunately by that time it was too late to harmonise.

I think it's interesting BA are proactively seeking members' views on this and would like to think perhaps they will consider adding a modicum of flexibility in the future...certainly I would appreciate that greatly.

Last edited by SpeedBird2001; Oct 31, 2012 at 4:48 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:10 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Nicci, as someone who asked to align HHA membership years which went out of line for some reason when the OH became Gold, I would be keen for a change. It would be one month in our case.

It is an issue as we undertake some longhaul travel in this period.

Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by TheHak
without changing the membership year..why cant TPs start accruing for the next membership year, at least beyond gold.

For instance, you get 2780 TPs. 2500 are up to GUF and 280 are credited for the next year.

I am ending my membership year with over 7000TPs and it ends Dec 8th. I have actually postponed one NY trip from Dec 2nd to Dec 9 (although from a business perspective it marginally made more sense to leave on Dec 2).

I did it but wished BA could credit some of the extra TPs gained this year.

Something Flying Blue for instance has no problem doing for its top earners.
Your making an assumption that GUF stays at 2500 with the new rule you suggest. But as the rule change would mean more people would retain GUF, I suggest that it is very likely the GUF level would increase to, say, 3000. This would of course make the situation worse for all.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:44 am

As for two other reasons, I have a simple sentence to say to requesters: "Fly more and you will get/keep the status".
Yep, agree totally. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Originally Posted by Petrus
As for two other reasons, I have a simple sentence to say to requesters: "Fly more and you will get/keep the status".
Yep, agree totally. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Well, yes. But there are such things as lunches at different price points. Taking the argument further, you might suggest that BA should never have introduced the Bronze tier, because all pax have to do is fly more and they can get Silver. Or we could go the whole hog and drop Bronze, Silver and Gold entirely, because all you have to do to get GGL...

Ultimately, the question for BA is how to gain and retain pax, and the beauty of the 12-month rolling year for Blues is that you don't kick your newest customers when they're at the very bottom ... clueless and inexperienced. Once they get a taste of status, even by accident, it's very hard to give it up again. And I should know...

This is why the "read the T&Cs" argument doesn't really wash. You can't expect new BAEC members to be able to plan their year's flying immediately, or even to understand why that would prove beneficial. Now, if every new BAEC account came with instructions to join FT, then I'd have no sympathy for 'em.

One other benefit to the rolling 12-month system: members could, once they've got the experience and with a bit of planning, get their HHAs to align manually.

Sad but true. I wish my birthday wasn't on Haloween, and there's bugger all I can do about that either
Sure there is. Just move Hallowe'en.

(Belated Happy Birthday. Will you be T8192 now?)

Last edited by dark_horse; Nov 1, 2012 at 2:32 am
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
This is slightly harsh. I know the T&Cs as I have been here long enough

I could have got around this by letting Mrs srbrenna slip back to blue and then time the promotion again to sync the year ends. Now this is not possible at all. The discussion is due to the OP wanting to know about the issue and whether it is worth BA looking into this:

Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
Point 1 is interesting and I understand particularly why members travelling together as a household would want to align their membership years for expiry tracking/earning status at the same time etc. We have no current plans to change this but I am interested in understanding the size of this issue and what your thoughts are on developing the ability to do this.

As always, thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and the trouble to feed back your thoughts on this subject
Originally Posted by SpeedBird2001
I do think when it comes to Household Accounts BA need to look at this again - certainly in my situation when the accounts are just one month out I fail to see why something cannot be done to harmonise the membership dates. If there was a six month difference and people were hoping to use the situation to increase their TP in a year I could see the point but for the sake of a month it's annoying BA won't entertain it.
A six month gap wouldn't bother me that much as the flying would even itself out. I wouldn't be in the situation I am in now where I try to avoid flying in March due to one of us "wasting" TPs. That wouldn't happen if there was a six month gap. In some ways it could be beneficial as if one person loses status then you could still have six months lounge access.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by dark_horse
Sure there is. Just move Hallowe'en.
(Belated Happy Birthday. Will you be T8192 now?)
Yay - well done Gov. Christie ^
And thank you!

An unchanged, if older, T8191
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:54 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by BA Executive Club
Point 1 is interesting and I understand particularly why members travelling together as a household would want to align their membership years for expiry tracking/earning status at the same time etc. We have no current plans to change this but I am interested in understanding the size of this issue and what your thoughts are on developing the ability to do this.
Hi Nicci,

Even though you posed this question already more than a month ago I would like to give some feedback. My wife and I have a HHA but my wife only rarely flew on BA on revenue tickets but rather burned the miles I earned Until recently, she had no status with BA. A recent trip made her a lowly Bronze and it was only than that we figured out we had totally different membership years. While this is not a problem per se and will not prevent her from getting Silver it would certainly be nice and more convenient to have the opportunity to align our membership years. It would be much more easy to keep track of things as I assume most of the time it is one partner who is more interested/keen to manage FFP accounts etc.

In sum, the possibility to change the membership year in a HHA would be most welcome, even if it were under very strict rules.

Cheers,
totti

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.