Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing your membership year

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
My girlfriend couldn't understand the satisfaction I got when I managed to enrol her in BAEC and get the same membership month as I

The closer we get to engagement and a long future together, the more pleased I am with that acheivement
Old May 5, 2016, 1:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Foltan
My girlfriend couldn't understand the satisfaction I got when I managed to enrol her in BAEC and get the same membership month as I

The closer we get to engagement and a long future together, the more pleased I am with that acheivement
I would have been slightly more impressed if you had selected a potential spouse on the basis of their membership year end date!
Old May 5, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Slight thread drift but:

Our year ends on June 8th. We have a flight booked on June 22nd that will take us to Gold. Is now (a month before approx) a good time to request the 2 week extension on our year?
Old May 5, 2016, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by steve170461
Slight thread drift but:

Our year ends on June 8th. We have a flight booked on June 22nd that will take us to Gold. Is now (a month before approx) a good time to request the 2 week extension on our year?

You request it after you have done the flights.

If you do it before you will more then likely be told 'no'.
Old May 5, 2016, 2:22 am

Why do couples who typically travel together strive for the same year end date?

With guesting privileges at silver and gold, wouldn't staggering the dates give people more flexibility for planning future travel?
Old May 5, 2016, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Why do couples who typically travel together strive for the same year end date?

With guesting privileges at silver and gold, wouldn't staggering the dates give people more flexibility for planning future travel?
Generally, that's correct.

The only disadvantage that we've found, having staggered dates, is when we booked F on a 747 when one of us was Gold and the other Silver. We had to take 1K and 2K until we were once again both Gold, hoping that 1A was still free (which it was).

Other than that, we have benefited much more from the higher status covering a longer period of time because of the staggered year-end dates. I don't understand why people regard this as so important, but it may be that there are scenarios in which it is, that I haven't fully worked out.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
In my case we are a month apart (March and April) which is annoying as any flights we take in March would not count towards the new year for one of us. It would be better to be six months apart but I guess the point is that there is no chance of changing this now. With a bit of planning it was possible before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.