Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA - You Need to Seriously Rethink Your IROPs handling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA - You Need to Seriously Rethink Your IROPs handling

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
I disagree - I've worked for plenty of businesses where it is that easy. As I said earlier, in my current job many staff have to switch between 5-6 applications very regularly if you count the 3 main MS Office programs, SAGE and the doc control and CRM software. They all have different user interfaces and not much common terminology etc. In pretty much all companies I have worked for, the admin staff use multiple software applications supporting different areas of the business.

We are not talking rocket science here for ticketing and check-in......and two applications that may well be different from the user interface but have alot of common parameters and terminology. Off the top of my head, some common parameters are pax name, PNR, flight numbers, airline codes (like BA, SK, AF etc) seat maps, 3 letter airport codes, EC number etc etc.

The staff rotation / job ownership / apathy etc is a management and union issue but as I also said later, why not create a slightly different pay grade for those who can do both roles?

As many have noted in this thread, BA seem to lag many other airlines when it comes to IROPS - so it CAN be done better.

That's another £1M please.....
So you deal with organisations where people move from, say, using MS Office into using a command line interface based on a company-specific implementation of a 1960's computer language, now largely defunct? Where there are also hundreds of pages of company-specific policies to consider, of which most of us only know a small portion (the frequent flyer programme bit)?

Even using the basic version of Amadeus involves a standalone course and exam (see http://www.iata.org/training/courses/pages/tttg26.aspx ).

I'm not saying this is impossible - far from it. But it's expensive (to train and then keep people current on the policies as well as the software). Getting ticketing wrong can cost the company serious money or (in an IRROPS situation) lead to big headaches when it comes to audit time.

Of course BA don't have a monopoly on this. I was at F check-in for SQ at SIN recently, coinciding with their check-in systems going down. I sat there for 45 minutes, worrying about missing my flight, as all the staff proceeded to, erm, phone their tech support line at an outsourced IT solutions from in Malaysia. Of course the lines were engaged as everyone was trying to call them. I managed to make my flight only because someone finally found some manual luggage tags and I had printed my boarding pass at home.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:52 am

Perhaps there is some confusion between who is considered competent to handle a specific task in the UK/Europe and the USA.

In the US I have noted that the check-in agents also deal with ticketing matters whereas in Europe becoming a ticket agent is normally seen as a promotion from Customer Services/Check-in and normally involves quite considerable extra training. Consequently there are perhaps fewer ticket agents to handle any irregularities.

IT systems have developed though that Check-in agents should be able to handle simple point to point rebookings provided they are allowed to do so but the more complex rebooking/switch to other airlines/rerouting must still be done by a ticket agent.

Most airline also do not operate with a large surplus of staff so calling in staff to handle an irregularity may not always be feasible bearing in mind that the next days operations must also be safeguarded. Also being called in/working on a rostered day off is voluntary in most cases so an additional staffing level may not be feasible.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:21 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by House
So you deal with organisations where people move from, say, using MS Office into using a command line interface based on a company-specific implementation of a 1960's computer language, now largely defunct?
Actually we do. We have remote access to the production scheduling system of one of our customers and this is unbelievably antiquated (seems to be DOS) and still involves a dial-up modem. Our Admin staff and Production Manager access it to query / input / adjust / update a number of parameters regarding our deliveries, warranty returns, schedules, delivery timing as they operate a JIT policy.

In particular the Admin staff will frequently switch between say using MS Office, SAGE and this antiquated customer scheduling system. No big deal really - as I said earlier, if you count that they use 3 main programs in MS Office (all of which are considerably different in their application, features and terminology), plus SAGE and the DOS based one......they seem to manage very well I think ^
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BOH
In particular the Admin staff will frequently switch between say using MS Office, SAGE and this antiquated customer scheduling system. No big deal really - as I said earlier, if you count that they use 3 main programs in MS Office (all of which are considerably different in their application and terminology), plus SAGE and the DOS based one......they seem to manage very well I think ^
I'm sure BA staff would love to be trained up in all the different systems if their wage scale rose accordingly.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:25 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Some of the airlines identified as providing what is described as better back up are in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection (AA for one). You need to remember that BA doesn't have this luxury. My point is that people want everything that they would get in an ideal world. Such a world does not exist.
If other carriers can do it, it's not an ideal world.

By changing its business model over the last 10-15 years (this was BA's choice, nobody else's) to focus its ops at one of the worlds most constricted gateways, it's "normal" operations will be impacted more than its competitors.

If you willingly choose this business model, you need to have a stronger response to the inevitable operational issues or else BA's customers will suffer in such situations more than other airlines. IMO (and that of many, many others through the multiple periods of stress that occur every year) BA isn't good enough.

At the end of the day, the bottom line will dictate it. I get the impression BA has a strategy not of doing its best, but just enough not to materially damage the brand. Time will tell if that's enough.
Where do you suggest British
Airways bases its operations? Frankfurt? BA cannot do anything about the restrictions placed upon it by LHR. LHR is the UK's main airport and is being held back by NIMBY attitudes
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:44 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Airways bases its operations? Frankfurt? BA cannot do anything about the restrictions placed upon it by LHR. LHR is the UK's main airport and is being held back by NIMBY attitudes
Yes but BA still have chosen to retrench their operations mainly into LHR rather than use any regional airports....in fact the regional airports pretty much only feed into LHR now anyway.

Contrast that to the operations of LH where FRA, DUS and MUC have good direct flights, IB with MAD and BCN and AF with CDG and LYS.

I was in Berlin in mid-September and my direct TXL-LHR return leg was cancelled. I was given the option of still returning that evening - via FRA, DUS or even MUC....3 different options. But if you base yourself principally out of just one airport, it is the worlds most congested and it gets disrupted, your operations are pretty much 100% stuffed don't you think?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Nothing at all to do with poor management or me being too weak or frightened. More to do with dealing with people who have many years of service who are suspicious and wary of change.

Implementing a staff rotation way of working is easy as pie when you start with a fresh workforce all under the same working conditions. Persuading staff who have been with you long term to change is another story. Especially if a union is involved.
You make it sound a piece of cake......when it is far from it.
So it is not easy as pie as you said...Your statements support the notion that if you have "experienced" work force with system A, you cannot change over to an inproved system B because the work force is set in the old ways....according to you you need a "fresh" workforce. Businesses have evolved, accepted new realities of marketplace, CUSTOMER response systems etc. Did all these require a new force or employees adapted ? If what you said holds true, how did BA manage to train a workforce from paper pencil ways to present day computers ? Isn't "persuading staff" a primary function of managers ?

People the world over are ready and willing to adapt practices if it spells improvements. Perhaps it is the management team that is frozen in place ?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
So it is not easy as pie as you said...Your statements support the notion that if you have "experienced" work force with system A, you cannot change over to an inproved system B because the work force is set in the old ways....according to you you need a "fresh" workforce. ?
No I said it's far easier to implement certain working practices when starting afresh.

SWISS being a fine example of this.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:36 am

Are you completely unaware of BA's history?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL, Hilton Diamond, FB Grey, Amex MR, Trop Plus Gold
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Leaving aside questions of why a continent would leave their ATC system in the hands of Belgians
They don't. CFMU is in Brussels, they're the people that sort out flight plans and take-off times to make sure it's not a mess up there, and you're not queueing JFK-style for hours on taxiway A; but CFMU is staffed by employees of any Eurocontrol member state.

MUAC is responsible for airspace above FL245 over BeNeLux and northern Germany, but this is in Maastricht, and again staffed by members of all Eurocontrol member states.

As a former employee, I strongly resent being referred to as Belgian.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver
I have never experienced this and hopefully it is a one-off. Write a complaint if you have time.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm sure BA staff would love to be trained up in all the different systems if their wage scale rose accordingly.

Why should they be paid more just because the company is training them to improve their skills? They would still only be working the same number of hours, doing a similar job. It would cost the company more to train them but I don't see the need for an increase in pay for the employee.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by HilFly
Why should they be paid more.
More responsibilities for starters.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:14 pm

Of course not. But how many flights have they ever done from EDI, GLA?

They used to do some transatlantics from MAN, but no airport in the UK has the capability to come even close to the required capability from a network of the size of BA's but don't let that get in the way of your blatant negativity.

Capacity problems aren't BA's fault as much as many on here would like them to be. LHR is currently the only airport in the UK with more than one major runway. LGW is due to get another so I read- MAN may have another terminal, but capacity is reduced there very quickly when there are issues. Where else is there?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:21 pm

Of course not. But how many international BA flights have they ever done from EDI, GLA?

They used to do some transatlantics from MAN, but no airport in the UK has the capability to come even close to the required capability from a network of the size of BA's but don't let that get in the way of your blatant negativity.

Capacity problems aren't BA's fault as much as many on here would like them to be. LHR is currently the only airport in the UK with more than one major runway. LGW is due to get another so I read- MAN may have another terminal, but capacity is reduced there very quickly when there are issues. Where else is there?

I'd like to see some more international flights from MAN, as sometimes I fly from there, but with much of the market centralising and rationalising, I think this is a forlorn hope.

BA doesn't always get things right - I have been on the wrong side of IRROPS before, but neither does it always get things wrong, despite what some on here might say

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.