Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time in CW - a bit meh!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer

Many of us who've been fortunate enough to fly the herringbone layout with VS, and also with AC and NZ, would strongly disagree.

My last flight in CW, for example, in the revered 62A UD no less, was a pantomime born of the cabin layout. Apart from being surrounded by filthy, yellowing and cracked cabin trim, we had this endless down up down up down up down of the screen between me and my neighbour, through which all my food and drink was passed over the poor chap's lap. Far superior in every way ? No way, BA.
Endless? Come on, be realistic. Maybe during meal and drink service but it can hardly be called endless. Most times I've been in 62A/K the crew have come around and served me so as not to trouble the other passenger.

I like both VS & BA, they both have pros and cons. For a J product I've not beaten the privacy of 62A/K from the east coast of USA back home to the UK when all I wanted to do was get my head down and not be disturbed.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
First time in CW - a bit meh!

If anyone thinks that CW seats are bad, IMHO they are luxury compared with KLM business class seats on a 747 combi . Twelve hours from AMS to NRT on a sloping slippery seat is not my idea of business class. BA or nothing for me now despite what the bosses may wish.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by stevie
..... the food for me is the same pre-packed stuff you can buy in tesco for 5 quid, ....
£5 in Tesco; what on Earth are you buying? Even Finest does not get to a fiver. You must be confusing Fortnum and Mason with Tesco!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
CW = bed class for me. If the food is good, that's a bonus, and I would prefer to have good food of course but not essential. Ditto services.

Purely from my own perspective, good, private sleeping area + private working area (window seat is more private than F due to the screen) + being able to get out from the window seat easily enough = BA window seat in CW is good.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by stevieed
For me, given the cost, I expect the following;

- comfortable lie flat bed
- decent IFE (but I understand financial and logistical issues that mean BA don't always have the latest and greatest)
- good quality food (equivalent of M&S ready meal)
- good quality alcohol (equivalent of £10 a bottle from supermarket)
- CC who provide good service but also some banter
- working desk and plug at seat so I can work
- lounge with hot food, wifi and plenty of plugs

IME BA usually hits the above.
That's pretty much what I expect too. Apart from the IFE...I really don't understand why in this day of Macbook Airs, iPads, noise cancelling headphones and iTunes movie rentals that people still persist with airline IFE. Even the much praised StudioCX is nothing compared to an HD movie that you yourself have chosen being played on an MBA and through a pair of Bose.

But I would also add fast track security...I hate having to hang around with needless formalities.

Finally, in my opinion, if you want a lovely special leisure travel experience, fly First.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
That's pretty much what I expect too. Apart from the IFE...I really don't understand why in this day of Macbook Airs, iPads, noise cancelling headphones and iTunes movie rentals that people still persist with airline IFE. Even the much praised StudioCX is nothing compared to an HD movie that you yourself have chosen being played on an MBA and through a pair of Bose.

But I would also add fast track security...I hate having to hang around with needless formalities.

Finally, in my opinion, if you want a lovely special leisure travel experience, fly First.
Eh? If you're forking out £3k plus, I think it's entirely reasonable not to have to have pre-loaded your iThingy with whatever.....

And I certainly don't own a pair of NC headphones. More junk to cart around - no thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Private Pyle
Most times I've been in 62A/K the crew have come around and served me so as not to trouble the other passenger.
Well, my flight attendant didn't, and yes she did trouble the other passenger.

Originally Posted by Private Pyle
Endless? Come on, be realistic.
Of course. I apologize. I think that "Click-Swish-Clunk several dozen times " would be a more accurate descriptor.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:36 pm

Ha! Well, I pre-load my iThingy because it means I'm guaranteed something that I want to watch, with perfect HD picture quality. For less than £10, it hasn't failed me yet.

And I happen to love my NC15s. Sitting on the upper deck watching a movie, you can't hear any engine noise which I find remarkable. And fantastic for sleeping too.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Greenpen
£5 in Tesco; what on Earth are you buying? Even Finest does not get to a fiver. You must be confusing Fortnum and Mason with Tesco!
Tesco Finest British Beef Fillet Steak (1 steak) is £7.87
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:55 pm

Ha! Well, I pre-load my iThingy because it means I'm guaranteed something that I want to watch, with perfect HD picture quality. For less than £10, it hasn't failed me yet.
I don't buy movies. Can't see the point these days. There's always something on for free. If I want to to see a movie, I'll see it at the cinema on the BIG screen. I've got a Cineworld pass so I can see as many as I want for £15 a month, and apart from during the Olympics I'm fairly regularly up there. Sky TV stupidly gave me 2 months free access to Sky Movies. I recorded everything I wanted and made sure I cancelled within their 31 day notice period. That was 2 years ago and I still haven't watched most of the movies yet!

When I get on a plane, I like a wide selection to choose from. The screen clarity on QF and SQ's A380s that I've experienced in Y, forgo the need for me to schlep around a piece of kit that's going to get in the way. And at 10.6 inches its even bigger than the ithingy.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:59 pm

Well, I've flown an SQ 380 in J and I didn't think the screen quality was that brilliant. It was big, of course, but not HD.

But I lug around a 13" Macbook Air because, well, normally I'm travelling business class to...well, get somewhere to conduct business. Therefore I need my laptop. YMMV, as always.

But if you really want free, just download a whole load of stuff from the BBC using iPlayer.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Well, my flight attendant didn't, and yes she did trouble the other passenger.
I wasn't saying I didn't believe you it's just not the experience I've had up there and I'm surprised you got someone so lazy but maybe I shouldn't be given the inconsistent service on most airlines.

Of course. I apologize. I think that "Click-Swish-Clunk several dozen times " would be a more accurate descriptor.
That's better; I can relax now
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:07 pm

Well, I've flown an SQ 380 in J and I didn't think the screen quality was that brilliant. It was big, of course, but not HD.

But I lug around a 13" Macbook Air because, well, normally I'm travelling business class to...well, get somewhere to conduct business. Therefore I need my laptop. YMMV, as always.

But if you really want free, just download a whole load of stuff from the BBC using iPlayer.
Even when I was flying transatlantic or to Australia/NZ regularly for work in Club, I never took out my laptop. I always had my work prepared before boarding and never had the need to prepare/revise onboard. I ate, watched the movies, slept,and occasionally got a bit to merry when my drink was topped up with out me noticing!

I did download a heap of stuff onto my netbook before my last few longhauls (SQ Y, QF J, but not A380 and BA J) from iPlayer, but again didn't find the need to watch it as there was enough to keep me going. If I had a plane with the 16 channel loop system, then I probably would consider bringing it out then. It was so annoying to have to sit and wait for the next 2 hour slot to begin. Still that was better than my first long haul in the 70s where we had head buster earphones and only a couple of movies on the big screen per sector because they expected you to sleep most of the time.

And the BBC isn't free. I pay for it with my annual licence fee.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by T8191

From the elder, usually non-sleeping, leisure traveller perspective in CW the great pluses are, in no particular priority order:

The Lounges - just the Galleries, but at least they're fairly comfy with free F&B. (And kids).
Oh dear! Another Jimmy Saville moment...!?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stevie
I guess I am jaded from too much j-class travel over the last years as my wife came with me on a trip and she had a great time in CW.
You've hit the nail on the head there.

What might be just another commute in the air for regular work fliers could be a once a year treat to leisure fliers....hence why Swanhunters comments may seem strange to some on here. I can see where he's coming from though...shame his regular route isn't covered by a sleeper service.

Personally the last thing I want to do is sleep.....I can't anyway. I'll take everything that's going in the food and beverage department as it's a major part of the flying experience for me mainly to interrupt the boredom of long haul flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.