Wiki Posts
Search

First time in CW - a bit meh!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: not a lot
First time in CW - a bit meh!

Not sure if I expected too much or not as it was my first time in CW and based on some of the reviews here maybe I expected too much.

MIA-LHR departing about 20:30.

Boarding was announced from the lounge so went to the gate and entered the fast track lane. Was told twice whilst being looked at this lane was for first and club world pax only. I then handed over my 4 CW boarding passes and was allowed on. I gate checked our stoller and was told we would get it back in EDI and not LHR as it would take 2 hours to get back at LHR. Fair enough I thought maybe LHR is different to every other airport. Upon leaving the plane at LHR our stroller was waiting. Glad I wasn't in First or WT+ (all deplaning was done from L1) as I would not have waited on it based on what I was told at MIA.

When we made our way upstairs my oldest son (9) noticed the cockpit door was open so asked me if he could take a look. We went up to just before the lavatory door and took a look from a distance. The captain saw us and invited us in for a look. First Officer got up and let my son sit in his seat. Captain took a few minutes to explain what some of the buttons did and we left them to get on with all their pre flight type stuff. Both captain and first officer were very nice people.

I was then given a mouthful from the cabin crew working upstairs for going into the flight deck without their permission. I explained I did no such thing and was invited in by the captain when he saw us having a look from what I considered a suitable distance back to not be intrusive.

The IFE worked as expected. I watched The Hunger Games whilst having my meal. I thought the food was disappointing. I had the fillet of beef with sliced tatties. The beef was tough and the tatties a bit under cooked IMO. A couple behind also complained about the beef and got fish instead.

The fish starter I had was quite tasty though although the fruit pudding thing was tasteless.

The seating positions of the seat were good but I thought the bed formation was a bit too narrow for me as I usually sleep on my back with my hands on my stomach so my elbows are at my side. I found my left elbow to be balancing on the edge of the bed which wasn't very nice. Temp varied between hot and cold a few times as well.

I managed a reasonable snooze though and certainly felt the benefit later in the day.

Breakfast fruit was nice and refreshing but the bacon roll was a bit rubbish. Silly little roll with some no-name ketchup sachet. Would have expected a big bap and Heinz Tomato Ketchup or brown sauce.

I can only compare the hard and soft product to VS UC which I last travelled on about 3 years ago and to be honest the VS UC experience was better in every way. The layout on VS is so much better giving a window and aisle access.

The food was also considerably worse than what I had on UA Global First a few weeks earlier but it's maybe not fair to compare UA First with BA CW.

Apart from the captain and First Officer I didn't really see anyone particularly happy on the plane.

I'm sure I'm just being a bit OTT here and based on what people write here I probably went on with higher expectations than is reasonable to expect. I'm sure I got what is promised.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not an unreasonable view of things. My only point would be that the VS bed is not better than BA, just different and while the design means easy aisle access it is a horror show for noise and light.

CW is just about sleeping on board - everything else is just window dressing.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LiviLion
I'm sure I got what is promised.
Apart from the lip from the cabin crew I would say you did get what was expected.

I'm not too keen on the CW seat either so understand why you think the VS one might be better.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
As someone who only gets to fly CW very occasionally I would respectfully disagree.

The logical assumption from your comment would seem to be that if you were given an economy seat to use whilst eating and watching the IFE and only allowed the CW seat to sleep in you would be happy!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 7:41 am

Sounds like a good flight to me.

My last flight: Ticket improperly reissued so couldn't check-in on line. Flight delayed by 3 hours. No delay announcements made; no welcome drink; no fast track cards on board; no amenity kids loaded - there was also trash on/near my seat. I actually didn't complain as I slept for most of the flight.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Neiltoo
As someone who only gets to fly CW very occasionally I would respectfully disagree.

The logical assumption from your comment would seem to be that if you were given an economy seat to use whilst eating and watching the IFE and only allowed the CW seat to sleep in you would be happy!
I don't eat or use the IFE. I just sleep and work - like most regular CW users.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AZAL Gold, TK Elite, KC Nomad Club Blue
Originally Posted by erik123
no amenity kids loaded
Why? Were you expecting Jimmy Savile on board? (Sorry, poor taste .)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Surely that is it? If its anything more then its not much more. Certainly the thing I most value on a plane is space and being able to lie down.

The food isnt bad, but its still airplane food.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
And drink dear fellow, drink!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: Skywards
I can just imagine the posts on here (from regular CW users) if the IFE never worked and there was no food.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: BA (Silver), Virgin (Silver)
I've done this route in CW myself, but very odd that your presence in Fast Track was queried not once, but twice. Were they making the assumption that people with children don't fly CW do you think?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Zhivago
Why? Were you expecting Jimmy Savile on board? (Sorry, poor taste .)
Agree, but still very funny
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:46 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:44 am
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: ABBA
At the same time? So that's why you get the expensive travel policy!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angatol
I think you missed an "IMHO" there somewhere. I sincerely doubt that is the opinion of most people who paid for CW.
Regular Club customers - no I pretty much represent that view. However many of those are corporate deals so in terms of people actually paying their own cash then I can see the frills are more a big deal.

That said when paying from my own pocket or with miles I still just sleep - but substituate reading or iPad for the work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.