Wiki Posts
Search

Massive Erection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
Mind you, the shard has a comparatively limited bling factor
One of the offices I frequent is about 50 metres from the Shard, and it can reflect the sunlight rather too well for our liking on a sunny day. Had to close the blinds to have a meeting last week it was so bright!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by mario
I'm all for big erections at the right place.
Ooooohh Matron!

Another vote for the Gherkin (I work in the building next door) - Shard is a bit too bling for. It seems to have taken ages for them to finish off the top.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Apparently it is best seen in full glory in mornings.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
When I saw the thread title and the first bit of the sentence, I thought it would be about the Gherkin.

My vote stays with the Gherkin...
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Prospero
The London skyline will soon be blighted further by the oppressive "Walkie Talkie" and the ridiculously stunted Pinnacle, aka "Helter Skelter". The latter had it's height reduced following objections from BAA

I think the Helter Skelter has been stalled for a while now. The 'Cheesegrater' (aka the Aon Centre) across the road from Lloyd's is likely to be the next one to complete together with the 'Walkie Talkie' on Fenchurch Street and Philpott Lane. Quite a lot of other buildings being constructed in the Camomile St/Bevis Marks area.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
I hate it. Ugly, aggressive and totally out of proportion with its surrounds.
Beautiful from a distance, you'll never need to ask directions to London Bridge station again.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:38 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by ColdWalker
The first time I saw the gherkin I was totally bowled over. It's a moment I can remember ever all these years later, and I suspect I will never tire of it.
Having a very close relationship with this building (in a pretty unique way), your comments truly warm the cockles of my heart.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
I think the Helter Skelter has been stalled for a while now. The 'Cheesegrater' (aka the Aon Centre) across the road from Lloyd's is likely to be the next one to complete together with the 'Walkie Talkie' on Fenchurch Street and Philpott Lane. Quite a lot of other buildings being constructed in the Camomile St/Bevis Marks area.
"Massive Erection" and "Betteronacamel" are two phrases that should never be seen together.

This thread is great. I feel 10 years old again!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Apeman
Wish they'd build a few more around central - people wouldn't get lost so often
However, I don't think this is going to happen. The protected views don't make it easy to put them anywhere else, so on the north side of the river these are basically going up in what the City calls the eastern cluster of tall buildings (or something like that).

The Helter Skelter has stopped, but the Cheesegrater and the Walkie Talkie are in full swing. I'm personally a bit disappointed by the Walkie Talkie, because it will interfere with the view of Tower Bridge from my flat. I'm glad that I had the chance to enjoy that view for over a dozen years without it, but I wish that I could have persuaded the City to recognise that as a protected view.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Apeman
It isn't a case of destroying views or heritage, it's about the city moving forward and evolving as the world changes. Of course, heritage must be respected in the process or the soul of the city lost. However it can be done with compromise, and I think London is one of the best examples in the world of how the old can blend with the new.
I am all for moving forward. From my comments you will be surprised to learn I love cities like New York, Hong kong, Shanghai, Sinagpore and even closer to home Milton Keynes. However I do feel that some new designed buildings look horrible. Some wont last 10 years, unlike many of the buildings that havent been destroyed because of the many wars we have had. The 1970s was a terrible time for buildings design and construction.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le mdecin personnel PUCCI GALORE
This thread title made me laugh as I had to treat one of these only a few hours ago

As for the building, well it's very shiny, so I hate to think of the window cleaning bill.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
I'm not a fan, the building does nothing for me. It just doesn't fit in with the surrounding area.

Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
Originally Posted by NeverFirst
Antoher vote for the Gherkin from me.

The shard looks a lot (much,much, too much) like;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryugyong_Hotel

I saw the Ryugyong Hotel last week on a visit to Pyongyang. Gosh I wish they'd finish it! It certainly dominates the skyline.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:15 pm

Funny title. I'd imagine this thread will rack up a high viewost ratio.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Hate it. Nouveau riche bling with no connection to London whatsoever. Belongs in Shanghai.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.