Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: BA, AA
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I would use the aa miles for lower transatlantic fees. Use the avoids to get around Europe. Open an Iberia plus account and you can use the avoids for getting from Barcelona on vueling. Also a flight from Paris to London. Look into the Eurostar though. It may be comparable price and arrives/departs city center.
Ok, sounds good. Thanks for your help Lupine!
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by IMH
Sounds as though ba.com is playing games with you. I just used aa.com to search for 2 x F from LHR to SYD in March 2014 (i.e. roughly the six months that you mention) and saw availability on 3, 4, 5, 11, 12, 16, 17, 18, 23, 24 and 25 March.

I didn't look at exactly what flights were being offered on all of those dates, but for those I did it tended to be QF2 (LHR-DXB-SYD) and/or QF10 (LHR-DXB-MEL) followed by a MEL-SYD domestic.
Thanks for looking... It does seem that way! I can see the flights you mention on AA.com with Qantas but do not see them on BA.com - For the same dates I am instead offered BA routings through SIN with a CX connetion.

The only QF flights I am offered are also through SIN.

None of these options are F, some J.

Problem is to use my 241 voucher, I need BA metal I believe.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:03 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by schooleydoo
I can see the flights you mention on AA.com with Qantas but do not see them on BA.com
[...]
Problem is to use my 241 voucher, I need BA metal I believe.
Indeed you do... and as soon as you let ba.com know that you're planning to redeem a 2-4-1 it filters the search results to only show eligible (i.e. BA) flights. So that explains that. Unfortunately, as you wrote originally, there's not a single occurrence of 2 x F showing between March and August 2014.

Maybe people with experience of redeeming on this route can offer guidance beyond the standard "keep looking and if you see what you want grab it quickly".
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
Indeed you do... and as soon as you let ba.com know that you're planning to redeem a 2-4-1 it filters the search results to only show eligible (i.e. BA) flights.
I didn't tell them... knowingly

I just used the new rewards flight map - changed to first and watched availability drop to 0. Then crosschecked with Awardnexus and Awardtravlr.

If it is the standard check daily and grab, I can live with that - so long as I know they do actually exist!

Thanks IMH.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:58 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by schooleydoo
If it is the standard check daily and grab, I can live with that - so long as I know they do actually exist!
It may be worth checking more than once a day to see if you can spot any kind of release pattern.

There have been several threads complaining about poor availability but also occasional reports of success. Some have found that searching segment by segment and adding a stopover in SIN can improve results. The following thread may be helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...1-lhr-syd.html

Good luck!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA
Spending Avois in KEF

Have anybody successfully redeemed Avois for either hotels or car rentals in KEF or Iceland? I do not see any.

Appreciate the feedback.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
It's rarely good value to use Avios for hotels, so I suspect there is little experience among members of this forum in this matter.

But I could be wrong!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by stifle
It's rarely good value to use Avios for hotels, so I suspect there is little experience among members of this forum in this matter.

But I could be wrong!
It's always worth a quick check if there's a special. I got 3 nights at a decent 4 star with breakfast for 38000. It worked for me at the time and isn't a terrible value.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator Gold, Flying Blue Gold , Hilton HHonours Gold, BA Club Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Finding ANY Business Class Rewards Available

Hello All, great forum.

I have been through this thread and I THINK this question has not been asked before.

I have 400k Avios, and am looking to take my wife and daughter on a long haul flight from the UK. Ideally this would be to Vancouver, but I am struggling to find any availability in August, I would consider other destinations and it got me wondering if it was possible to search for a date range, and find out what award seats are open at that time, regardless of destination.

We are quite flexible on dates, as long as we leave and return in August, and would consider any destination.

Is such a search possible? I am happy to pay for one of the tools if they provide this capability.

Thanks for any pointers.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by blairk2
Hello All, great forum.

I have been through this thread and I THINK this question has not been asked before.

I have 400k Avios, and am looking to take my wife and daughter on a long haul flight from the UK. Ideally this would be to Vancouver, but I am struggling to find any availability in August, I would consider other destinations and it got me wondering if it was possible to search for a date range, and find out what award seats are open at that time, regardless of destination.

We are quite flexible on dates, as long as we leave and return in August, and would consider any destination.

Is such a search possible? I am happy to pay for one of the tools if they provide this capability.

Thanks for any pointers.
Log into BAEC. Click "spending avios". Click "Explore and check availability". Select travel class required. Select "August". See what comes up, and narrow it down from there.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
Rewards Saver Flights

I know that the cash component went up from 35€ to 42€ as of mid-July.

In the past, I could book MUC-LHR-NCL-MUC for 4500 Avios and 85€, now it is 5000 Avios and 102€.
Why 500 Avios more? And why 17€ more?

It's still 9000 and 42€ though.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:51 am
IMH

Originally Posted by blairk2
[...] am looking to take my wife and daughter [...] to Vancouver [...] in August
Finding availability for three people to travel together in summer is a challenge, but it shouldn't be impossible. August 2014 is opening up slowly. Right now I can see 3+ award seats to YVR in CW and another 3+ in F on 1 July.

I suggest you search for -- and book -- each direction separately (unless you're using a 2-for-1 voucher).
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Log into BAEC. Click "spending avios". Click "Explore and check availability". Select travel class required. Select "August". See what comes up, and narrow it down from there.
But remember that this tool is extremely unreliable. Use it with caution and a great deal of scepticism.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But remember that this tool is extremely unreliable. Use it with caution and a great deal of scepticism.
Fair point, but I do find it genuinely useful for narrowing down destinations when I have a "where can I go for X Avios during Y month" moments.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:54 am
IMH

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I do find it genuinely useful for narrowing down destinations
I'm happy to believe that there are times when it can be useful -- but not for assessing likely August 2014 availability in August 2013.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.