Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8 Hour Layover in LHR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: BD *Gold; BAEC Gold; Flying Blue Gold; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Bray

You don't necessarily need to break the bank with Heston Fat Duck. You could try the other two Heston experience in Bray at 'The Crown' or 'The Hinds Head'. Easier to book, more relaxed and still great food.
Crisphoarder likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem with Bray is there not much to do other than eat.

Windsor gives dining and drinking along with history, a bloody great Castle and insight into warts and all modern Britain. There is - I think - a bus from T5. If not, arrange a minicab.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
This map shows the public buses you can get from Heathrow. If you want to slum it you could get the 111 to Hampton Court Palace, which would take about 60 minutes by bus (which I accept may be too long......). It's a nice day out.....

Actually, there is another better bus map for Heathrow

Last edited by LondonAndy; Aug 10, 2012 at 9:33 am
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Premier Executive, Continental Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Velocity Gold, Alaskan MPV Gold.
We go to London all the time. In fact I’m going at the end of this month for work. We are not obsessed with waiting rooms/lounges. What we are is not wanting to trust getting back to the airport on the famous British transportation system (strike, rain, heat delays). The original plan was to go into the West End on the Piccadilly line and meet some friends for lunch at Randall and Aubin but decided we would rather just stay at Heathrow to avoid the hassle. I do like the idea of Windsor though and will suggest it to my traveling companion.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
8 hours sat in an airport? What a waste.

I can amuse myself fo about 3 hours before boredom sets in. Why not consider popping over to Windsor - just 20mins away - to stretch your legs and enjoy some fresh air.
I agree - or go to Kew Gardens - that is lovely too.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Indeed Flight Connection force you through North Security and it's a few minutes walk to the upper Concorde Room entrance, which is next to South Security. Basically turn right out of North security, if you look upwards you will see a big sign for Harrods, walk in that direction, keep going past WH Smith, on to South Security. On the far side you will see a pulpit like desk, and a person in a BA uniform - that's the upper Concorde Room entrance.
Reviving this old-ish thread. For my coming trip, my spouse and I would’ve been on the road quite a bit before this last 8 hour layover at T5 before our final segment to Asia.

We’d be quite spent by then hence may just while away our time in the CCR. But, say we suddenly have a surge or energy post whatever delightful delicacy they serve at CCR and decide to venture out to Windsor - is it even possible? (Meaning leave the secure departures area to go airside, if so how? I assume we need to go downstairs via arrivals immigration?)
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Reviving this old-ish thread. For my coming trip, my spouse and I would’ve been on the road quite a bit before this last 8 hour layover at T5 before our final segment to Asia.

We’d be quite spent by then hence may just while away our time in the CCR. But, say we suddenly have a surge or energy post whatever delightful delicacy they serve at CCR and decide to venture out to Windsor - is it even possible? (Meaning leave the secure departures area to go airside, if so how? I assume we need to go downstairs via arrivals immigration?)
Hi,

This will be awkward.

The best way would be to take the transit to C gates , stay on then head back to the A gates and immigration and exit ( you will be then mixing with arrival pax from C to A)

However on your return to T5, your ready to fly status will be , messed up ( as you will have already been airside) and will need to be reset by BA staff

Probably best to go landside first ( arrivals lounge if applicable), go to windsor first then go to the T5 CCR

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:37 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I thought I'd throw something into the ring... If you've got a long layover, there are also things to see that are much closer to the airport, for example:
  • The Crown and Treaty, Uxbridge - built in the 16C and where Charles 1 signed a treaty with Cromwell
  • Iver, a quaint village with old buildings
  • Osterley park and house, a National Trust site with historical park and buildings
These are some examples of some interesting things to see that don't normally scream "visit me!" if you're an international tourist, but can be well worth the trip
simonsmith, D1L and RJD1983 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
However on your return to T5, your ready to fly status will be , messed up ( as you will have already been airside) and will need to be reset by BA staff
Thanks. How cumbersome is this resetting? Is it something simple that check-in at the First Wing can sort out (with some explanation from us) or would it requirement involvement of UK immigration and other powers that be?
Old Mar 13, 2023, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Thanks. How cumbersome is this resetting? Is it something simple that check-in at the First Wing can sort out (with some explanation from us) or would it requirement involvement of UK immigration and other powers that be?

Hi

You would have cleared immigration when entering the UK to leave t5.
as i understand it can take a few minutes by the check in agent. The main risk us potentially losing your seat choice.
I have not done this so cannot fully comment on the process

regards

tbs
Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:10 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
I thought I'd throw something into the ring... If you've got a long layover, there are also things to see that are much closer to the airport, for example:
  • The Crown and Treaty, Uxbridge - built in the 16C and where Charles 1 signed a treaty with Cromwell
  • Iver, a quaint village with old buildings
  • Osterley park and house, a National Trust site with historical park and buildings
These are some examples of some interesting things to see that don't normally scream "visit me!" if you're an international tourist, but can be well worth the trip
Runnymede, where the US airforce memorial is, but more importantly, the Magna Carta was signed there. Some good pubs around there as well.
RJD1983 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.