8 Hour Layover in LHR

Old Aug 10, 12, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Premier Executive, Continental Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Velocity Gold, Alaskan MPV Gold.
8 Hour Layover in LHR

Just a quick question. After much discussion with my travel partner we've decided to skip the trip into London city and just stay at T-5. We're coming in from the states and going on to HKG. This gives us a little over 8 hours on the ground at the airport. We're traveling in first. Will we be able to go straight to the concord room? Do we have to go through immigration?

How would those of you in the know spend that time? Just looking for suggestions.

Thanks.
Old Aug 10, 12, 7:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

No immigration or customs, but you'll need to reclear security.

You can then go straight to the Concorde Room.

I'd spend my time getting blitzed in the CCR, and then sleep on the HKG leg Not what the majority would do though.
Old Aug 10, 12, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Make sure you reserve a cabana in advance, it will help a lot. I do a lot of long layovers in T5 and the cabana makes it a lot easier.

I'd say between showering, enjoying a nice meal in the CCR, and a glass or two of something after, the time will go by quite quickly.

If your travel partner is not your wife/husband, maybe get two cabanas
Old Aug 10, 12, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
No immigration or customs, but you'll need to reclear security.

You can then go straight to the Concorde Room.

I'd spend my time getting blitzed in the CCR, and then sleep on the HKG leg Not what the majority would do though.
No need to collect and re-check baggage (as long as baggage is checked through). You need to re-clear security (through flight connections) but that is well-signposted and not an issue.

In fact, once you re-clear security you are right outside the door to the Concorde room (turn right instead of left).

But, 8 hours in a lounge? I would take at least a couple of tours of the shops, more for the change of view than anything else and i would also spend considerable time not getting blitzed. A couple of stiffeners over the 8-hour period, then a bit of a top-up at T-2 hours should see you right for sleeping on board.
Old Aug 10, 12, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8 hours sat in an airport? What a waste.

I can amuse myself fo about 3 hours before boredom sets in. Why not consider popping over to Windsor - just 20mins away - to stretch your legs and enjoy some fresh air.
Old Aug 10, 12, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
8 hours sat in an airport? What a waste.

I can amuse myself fo about 3 hours before boredom sets in. Why not consider popping over to Windsor - just 20mins away - to stretch your legs and enjoy some fresh air.
We were planning on doing that ourselves (even briefly considered trying to get a reservation at the Fat Duck). What is the easiest way to get there (considering we are unlikely to want to rent a car)?
Old Aug 10, 12, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Premier Executive, Continental Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Velocity Gold, Alaskan MPV Gold.
Just took a quick look at the Fat Duck and OUCH! I've heard about it but 180 pounds per person for the tasting menu is a bit much for my budget. Especially since I'm on my way to a month in Sydney which isn't cheap either.

Also, how do you reserve a cabana? At checking-in in the US?

Originally Posted by Homer15 View Post
We were planning on doing that ourselves (even briefly considered trying to get a reservation at the Fat Duck). What is the easiest way to get there (considering we are unlikely to want to rent a car)?
Old Aug 10, 12, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Spending 8hrs in T5 is way to long. Personally 8hrs in the CCR would drive me potty. Even if it's a first time visit 3 hours would be my maximum recommended time.

I'm sure someone might come along with a better way of getting to the Fat Duck in Bray but you can get the Heathrow Express from T5 to T123 ( HEX is free for journeys within Heathrow ) then get the Heathrow Connect to Hayes and Harlington to connect to a train to Maidenhead, then it's very short taxi ride to The Fat Duck.

Saying that Bray isn't all that far from Heathrow T5 so you could just jump straight into a taxi from T5 to Bray.

Or you could head to Windsor and easily kill several hours.
Old Aug 10, 12, 8:15 am

Taxi I would say. Found an old link about Windsor http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...questions.html

Is Heston Blumenthal making some Olympic specials at the Fat Duck
Old Aug 10, 12, 8:31 am
Moz

Programs: BA Gold, Delta SM, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by NeverFirst View Post

In fact, once you re-clear security you are right outside the door to the Concorde room (turn right instead of left).
Sorry but I dont think this is correct. Transfers spits you out at a different security section adn you need to walk the terminal to the CCR.

Aree with your other comment though.....8 hours in T5. Couldnt do it myself. Londons only 15 minutes away on HEX.....
Old Aug 10, 12, 8:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Sorry but I dont think this is correct. Transfers spits you out at a different security section adn you need to walk the terminal to the CCR.

Aree with your other comment though.....8 hours in T5. Couldnt do it myself. Londons only 15 minutes away on HEX.....
Indeed Flight Connection force you through North Security and it's a few minutes walk to the upper Concorde Room entrance, which is next to South Security. Basically turn right out of North security, if you look upwards you will see a big sign for Harrods, walk in that direction, keep going past WH Smith, on to South Security. On the far side you will see a pulpit like desk, and a person in a BA uniform - that's the upper Concorde Room entrance.

If you're wanting to do some shopping, you may as well drop down a level, do the rampant consumerism piece, and then follow the signs for the South Lounges.

I also agree 8 hours in CCR is silly (though I have done it). I agree with the Windsor idea - lots to do there, especially if the weather is nice. I've also gone to Slough for boring things like haircuts, and Slough is easier if it is raining. HEX gets you to Paddington in 20 minutes. You could take the Heathrow Connect service (change at T1) to Southall for a curry (best in the evening) or Ealing Broadway (good range of shops and restaurants). Ealing to T5 is about 30 minutes including changing trains.
Old Aug 10, 12, 9:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, Royal Ambassador
What is it with waiting room obsessions ?

I would never turn up to my dentist to 'relax in the waiting room' - no matter how nice a waiting room is. The last turn of phrase you'd hear would be "maximise my time in the waiting room".

Maybe it's a testament to modern marketing that 'waiting room' has been elevated to some mythical status through the term 'lounge'.

People are right, you would have to be insane to spend 8 hours in the waiting room at Heathrow, head out of arrivals, take a cab and go to Windsor. better food, better atmosphere, better air, better entertainment - you've loads of time, heck you could get the HEX into London, grab lunch and a matinee musical and still make it back.

.... but still people want to maximise their time in the waiting room
Old Aug 10, 12, 9:23 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by ckc123 View Post
Just took a quick look at the Fat Duck and OUCH! I've heard about it but 180 pounds per person for the tasting menu is a bit much for my budget.
Getting a reservation at the Fat Duck is a bit like getting into Eton - put your name down when you are born!

I jest - but not a lot - 3 months is the expected waiting time!
Old Aug 10, 12, 9:34 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Why not go into London and take a tour and have a spot of lunch. It is so easy from LHR to take a taxi in. It really is great in London at the moment.

Eight hours is too long to spend at the airport however nice your surroundings are! You will go stir crazy and it will make the whole journey feel tedious.
Old Aug 10, 12, 9:40 am

Thanks for the info. on travel to Windsor, Bray, and elsewhere.

OP, there is a You First line for US pax that can be used to reserve cabanas (and Elemis spa treatments).

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_us

Search this Thread