Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

(Slightly OT) How an airline's customers can benefit from Social Media for CS.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Slightly OT) How an airline's customers can benefit from Social Media for CS.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Indeed...that's one reason why I don't take it seriously. It attracts too many weirdos......like this forum did yesterday.
Oddly enough the success of KLM's efforts has been to allow and sometimes even encourage weirdness. There is no censorship apart from the obvious racial slurs etc. It has - eventually - a sort of self cleaning effect. Don't forget that KLM's Facebook page is rather more popular than FT...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Yes, it does. However with email you need to respond to all email you get individually leading to the much hated copy / paste replies with meaningless apologies and long reaction times. Something we all criticize here. Social media allow the company to react to customers who post on it with a common information request by providing this information for all to see (thus reducing the amount of individual inquiries). If appropriate they can chose to send a private communication if needed. They can even leave the more general inquiries to the collective wisdom of the other users, like here.
Did you check out https://twitter.com/HeathrowAirport ?

...and you think that doing contact by email leads to copy/paste replies and/or meaningless apologies?

Half today's LHR tweets are about some celeb or other performing something or other in T5, never mind apologies, that's just meaningless! Seriously, look at the signal-to-noise ratio posted through this account. "Collective wisdom" has nothing to do with that at all.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:14 pm

Oddly enough the success of KLM's efforts has been to allow and sometimes even encourage weirdness. There is no censorship apart from the obvious racial slurs etc. It has - eventually - a sort of self cleaning effect. Don't forget that KLM's Facebook page is rather more popular than FT...
I bet you a whole bundle of Avios that KLM make no money(i.e. real ROI) off their FB page, whereas the owners/operators of FT are probably making a steady profit off this site.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Very interesting thread - will be dug up in 10 years and laughed at , with many responders saying "What's email?????"

Maybe!

Active twitter presence great (not the current spam-a-thon)- but I repeat , 24/7 phone lines first, please.\

For a real insight into corporate twitter usage try @arenaflowers or @waterstones oxford street
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by dnajockey
Very interesting thread - will be dug up in 10 years and laughed at , with many responders saying "What's email?????"
Agree - sort of - but far more likely we we laugh at this thread and say: "what's Facebook" !!

* Ten years ago FB didn't exist
* not so very long ago (2005?) Murdoch paid $580 million for a company called "MySpace"
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
I bet you a whole bundle of Avios that KLM make no money(i.e. real ROI) off their FB page, whereas the owners/operators of FT are probably making a steady profit off this site.
I think you are mixing metaphors. BA do not make any money from the TV channels they advertise on... The BAEC CSD do not make any money of the phone lines that are installed by BT. It is a channel to communicate, not a profit centre.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:28 pm

I think you are mixing metaphors. BA do not make any money from the TV channels they advertise on... The BAEC CSD do not make any money of the phone lines that are installed by BT. It is a channel to communicate, not a profit centre.
Aha! There I was thinking that companies bought TV advertising for a reason (something about "customers" and "selling product(s)"??).

They just do it because they've got too much money?

BBC: Facebook 'like' adverts tested with VirtualBagel experiment:

The BBC tested the effectiveness of Facebook advertising by starting a page for an imaginary business called VirtualBagel and placing adverts designed to get people to "like" it.

The BBC targeted the ads widely at users across the US, UK and a number of Middle Eastern and Asian countries.

Within 24 hours, VirtualBagel had acquired over 1,600 likes, despite the fact that the page offered no products and no interesting content.

Nearly all of the "likers" came from India, Egypt, Indonesia and the Philippines.

The statistics showed that the page was most popular in Cairo, with 75% of "likes" coming from 13 to 17-year-olds.

Some of those liking the page did not appear to be who they said they were.

One user, who called himself Ahmed Ronaldo, listed Real Madrid as his employer, and featured the footballer Cristiano Ronaldo as his profile picture.

Mr Ronaldo also likes more than 3,000 other pages.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Confession 1: In my alter ego I use Facebook a lot. In fact I'm very busy there trying to raise funds for a Canadian non-profit. Not sure that having over 1,300 'friends' helps a lot - so far only 19 have done a simple click. Ho-hum.

Confession 2: … and a Twitter account, which is a complete waste of my time in the environment I work in. It's 97% of what it says on the box.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to contact a US Police Department over a minor [$50] traffic violation. Their website is unhelpful, in that it requires the complexity and cost of an International phone call. They do, however, list emails for senior staff, but those aren't answered. So, in despair, I've just [10 minutes ago] sent the Chief of Police a fax - and my fax machine suggested it went to a different number to that quoted on their website.

All a bit like BA on a bad day when you're down-route, really. It's all very good and clever if it all works, but somehow I remain unconvinced. And no, I am definitely not techno-phobic. I use it all the time, but so many agencies are utterly useless at making this super-technology actually work properly. When ba.com does what it says on the box, it may be time to move to the next stage …
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Aha! There I was thinking that companies bought TV advertising for a reason (something about "customers" and "selling product(s)"??).

They just do it because they've got too much money?
You're mixing metaphors again. What is unique about Social Media is that allows interactivity. Yes, you can use it for marketing purposes but there is no direct relationship between advertising and revenue (although add agencies would love to prove me wrong) but you can also use it as a channel for communication which makes it no difference from a website/call centre.

It is this 'multitasking' that makes social so interesting. However, it seems that people are either very much against or they see its purpose. Not much fence sitting going on.

PS: the 'like' functionality in FB is possibly already flawed because add agencies employ companies in PH and the likes to actively setup (fake) FB accounts and 'like' pages. It is a problem that FB needs to address. The same was already a problem for click through banners though.

Last edited by henkybaby; Jul 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Well done henkybaby. Do keep trying to explain SM is also for the over 14's...

I thoroughly agree a better SM strategy and presence would be better both for BA and its customers. For us, we'd have an avenue of feedback (let's face it, we don't air every gripe or observation or comment on an aspect of our latest BA experience with them via the webpage or a letter, for fear of being branded nutters or serial complainers - we just post it here instead) and a place to ask quick questions, as well a finding out the latest on a particular situation. And for them, they get free feedback (admittedly with a higher signal to noise ratio than the onboard questionnaire, but arguably faster and more comprehensive), as well as a rapid information dissemination service and advertising channel.

For those that talk about the website, BA's website is painfully slow to use and load on a suboptimal internet connection, is difficult to find information on, and in the case of operational disruption is slow to update with the latest information.

For those who mention email, I'd be delighted, no ecstatic, to have an email address for BA that actually dealt with issues, and didn't give me a moronic time-wasting canned response. A set of Exec Club email addresses that were actually read, actioned and answered by the same team you phone up, for example, would be great. But such a service does not exist.

Neither, as we all know, does a sensible 24/7 telephone service.

And we can't always write straight to Keith Williams, though admittedly that does usually result in speedy and satisfactory resolution of an issue.

So not to say that social media should replace any of those things, or that they shouldn't be improved, but it'd be an additional useful channel.

Personally, I've given up telling BA about anything but the worst screw-ups. It's just too time consuming and, when they reply, frustrating. So they know nothing about little things that I've appreciated or disliked. Not that they care, of course. But they would, or should, care about hearing from 1000 of me about just those things. It's called market research. And they should be able to differentiate between the fanboys saying "what a lovely plane", and a CCR card holder saying "poor service again today at the bar", or "the ads on the IFE are more annoying than ever", or "spent 10 minutes this morning cleaning my seat in First"...

I don't think the Heathrow SM account is a good comparison. None of us is a customer of theirs, which is why they need to fill it with vapid chatter. If they genuinely used it for customer interaction, it'd be full to the brim with info on latest landing charges, and questions from airlines about stand allocation, management of security queues, and lack of snow clearance machines...

What kills this, however, is that IF our esteemed BA chose to expand use of these channels, they would inevitably staff them with the same outsourced characters that had me beating my keyboard in frustration when they didn't bother to read my query or complaint before sending me canned email number 347. So in fact it wouldn't be a bright and shiny service a la KLM, just something else for us to moan about.

(There - d'you all see how I went from all modern and optimistic at the top of that post to bitter and twisted at the bottom? I blame this android keyboard...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Then again, they could always go down the bmi route, which was...interesting/hilariously bad at times (although they did tend to help reasonably effective when contacted privately!)
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
The bmi social media team (now disbanded) were quite good at getting things done. They had their own email address and they did a good job of chasing up enquiries with the relevant department.

They also ran competitions to try and increase followers.

They had their faults a lot of misinformation posted (particularly at the beginning - they probably never received much training in the bmi offering) and a lot of drivel but it felt much more informal than the BA offering.

Their Facebook page timeline contains some info on the history of bmi since their formation. They only added the timeline shortly before the BA takeover so perhaps they may have continued to add historical photos to it if the team had been kept around longer.

bmi for me was the only reason I used Twitter for many years. I found that sending them a private message was a good way to use a GUV (gold upgrade voucher) without calling.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrBernardo
...His entire post...
Well put. And yes, android will do that to you.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:46 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Call me old fashioned but when it all goes pear shaped - I want to talk to a human. I don't want to have to poke someone via Facespace or whatever the hell its called. And I certainly don't want to try and explain what happened in 140 characters or less. Or is it 160. I forget. I'm losing the will to live just thinking about it.

With the airline I fly most, I've got all the phone numbers I need in my phone. And those phone numbers are connected to humans who know me and can fix most things. I'm way too impatient to wait for a response via email...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eightblack
And I certainly don't want to try and explain what happened in 140 characters or less. Or is it 160. I forget. I'm losing the will to live just thinking about it.
Facebook does not have a limit on the number of characters you can use. I know everyone stubbornly says Twitter but KLM uses mostly Facebook...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.