Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Avios Offer … "Cash Passport"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Another Avios Offer … "Cash Passport"

Latest email from Avios, which I suspect many of you have also received.

The Offer is here … a MasterCard preloaded card whereby, if you buy £250 or over by 28 Aug, you get double avios.
• Get up to 2 Avios for every £1 you load
• Makes paying abroad safe and easy
• Available in US Dollars, Euros or Pounds Sterling
I haven't explored any further, since the Channel Islands are excluded. I would also note that the OH heard something on BBC "Money Box" which suggested that any residual cash on the card after a certain date can 'time out'. Whether this applies in this case is open to exploration.

Entirely at your own risk … just mentioning it for general information.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Also these cash cards aren't covered under the FSCS.

I had a look - might be worth it if you're after a chunk of miles for just over 1p each.

My understanding:

To load in GBP you pay 2%. You can use that for free as you would a Mastercard (but no loyalty points). However you could then just close the account and pay £6 to take the money back out.

So if you've £5k to spare, you pay £100 to load and get 10,000 Avios in return. You then cash out for £6 = 1.06p per mile.

£5k is the maximum balance you can have on the card, also capped at £18k p.a.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
EDIT: found some answers:

Is this classed as a Mastercard debit or credit card? [Still unsure]

Can you just withdraw from a cash machine? [Yes] How is that charged? [£1.50 per withdrawl]

Also seems to be £2500 maximum when signing up.

I don't see this being a particularly good deal for anyone unless they desperately need the miles.

Also note this is avios.com not BA avios, so if you don't have an avios.com account you'd need one first.

Last edited by layz; Jul 12, 2012 at 9:17 am
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I already mentioned this offer in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...motions-2.html - see posts 21 and 22 including my disclaimer/caveat.
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
My understanding:

To load in GBP you pay 2%. You can use that for free as you would a Mastercard (but no loyalty points). However you could then just close the account and pay £6 to take the money back out.

So if you've £5k to spare, you pay £100 to load and get 10,000 Avios in return. You then cash out for £6 = 1.06p per mile.

£5k is the maximum balance you can have on the card, also capped at £18k p.a.
It's better than that.

As I mentioned in the other thread, loading/reloading using your own bank's online system can mean 0% surcharge. That's certainly the case with Nationwide and me. I've done it twice this week. 0% to reload is a no-brainer.

With the current offer of 2 Avios per £, this beats other current cards, so it's better than the BA AmEx and LTSB cards, unless they have another promotion. Downside is there's no Section 75 protection, but that's probably irrelevant at Tesco and Waitrose.
Originally Posted by layz
Is this classed as a Mastercard debit or credit card?
Technically, it's neither. Tesco and some others treat it as a debit card. HMRC and my local council treat it wrongly as a credit card - their software hasn't been upgraded.
Can you just withdraw from a cash machine? How is that charged?
Yes. See http://www.cashpassport.com/1/Global...d%20Limits.pdf
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Got the offer earlier.

I think I'll pass...
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The card is especially useful for spending at merchants who surcharge for credit cards - I used mine to pay for our new door and windows - and those who don't take credit cards - cue Aldi and Lidl.

In such cases, I could have used my Nationwide debit card, but I wouldn't have earned thousands of Avios.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Roger
As I mentioned in the other thread, loading/reloading using your own bank's online system can mean 0% surcharge. That's certainly the case with Nationwide and me. I've done it twice this week. 0% to reload is a no-brainer.
Are you 100% sure that you can still get the Avios when you load up via online banking?

Presumably you can't avoid the 2% surcharge on your first card loading as you need to apply for the card first. Or can you actually specify £0 and then top up when the card arrives?
Technically, it's neither. Tesco and some others treat it as a debit card. HMRC and my local council treat it wrongly as a credit card - their software hasn't been upgraded
So you can slowly withdraw the cash on it by getting cashback at Tesco?

If you pay the £6 to withdraw funds how are they sent to you? Regular bank transfer, faster payment, cheque...?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
Money saving expert gives the idea a lukewarm thumbs up.

There's lots more http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...p-travel-money
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
...With the current offer of 2 Avios per £, this beats other current cards, so it's better than the BA AmEx and LTSB cards, unless they have another promotion.
Just in case of interest, there is an offer currently with the LTSB Avios Amex which is paying out double avios (ie 2:£1) for all spend in July provided you activate their offer before the end of the month (presumably that means you can do it retrospectively)

https://www.avios.com/collect/lloyds...pthLandingPage

GD
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I mentioned in the other thread, loading/reloading using your own bank's online system can mean 0% surcharge. That's certainly the case with Nationwide and me. I've done it twice this week. 0% to reload is a no-brainer.[/url]
I thought the 2% was Raphael's cut, not a cash advance fee levied by your bank (hence the reason it doesn't apply to EUR or USD cards). 0% would indeed change this significantly (and presumably see the loophole closed by the end of the month as people rip the backside out of it...)
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by layz
Are you 100% sure that you can still get the Avios when you load up via online banking?
I did, using my Nationwide FlexAccount.
Presumably you can't avoid the 2% surcharge on your first card loading as you need to apply for the card first. Or can you actually specify £0 and then top up when the card arrives?
No idea. I loaded a small amount to start, paying the fee, and topped up later with a higher amount and no fee.

I don't know the answers to your other questions.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I already mentioned this offer in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...motions-2.html - see posts 21 and 22 including my disclaimer/caveat.It's better than that.
Apologies for inadequate research on FT, the Fount of all Knowledge!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

None needed. You have brought about an interesting discussion.

[Just to be clear, 'It's better than that' refers to Swiss Tony's post. ]
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I have done some sums on this and it will be on the blog tomorrow, looking at the exchange rates they use for loading. Fundamentally, it is no worse than using a credit card - they load their exchange by 2.9% when you load, which is the same as Amex charging you a 2.99% load per transaction.

If you are going somewhere where Amex cards are unknown (a Euro country) it may make sense. Otherwise, I would stick to paying with an Amex as your earning rate is close to the 2 Avios per £1 they give with far, far less hassle.

And the £ card is a disaster, so avoid that.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles

And the £ card is a disaster, so avoid that.
So you're not buying Roger's claim you can load it for free and get 2 Avios/£?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.