Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Slightly OT: I've launched an Avios-focussed UK miles and points blog

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Slightly OT: I've launched an Avios-focussed UK miles and points blog

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:17 pm
ups

Programs: BAEC, Amex MR
Originally Posted by Raffles
That's OK, I'd be worried if someone read every single one through to the end!
Then you should be worried, because I do (albeit on RSS/Google Reader)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Erm, apologies to anyone on the email distribution list for Head for Points !

It wasn't even my fault, as I have subcontracted the transfer to the new server to a third party who in theory knows what they are doing ....

Normal service resumes on Wednesday, hopefully.

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, you obviously didn't get 500 emails in your inbox overnight!)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:35 am

Oops - I don't think too many people were affected, as mine was fine.

I wonder if the new platform will allow the "weekly digest" email to be configured to send on a preferred date.

Monday am is not the best time for many people to be focussing on miles & points - maybe lunchtime would work better, or better still sending it on a Thursday or Friday lunchtime...?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK, panic over - it seems that I (as administrator) was the only person who got all 500 emails!

I should have more flexibility on the new hosting platform to tailor the emails. Once its all up and running OK I will be able to see what the options are. I agree that the current set-up (which is forced on me by WordPress) is not perfect.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:15 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Raffles, what you using for hosting? I've got a few servers you could have used
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Godaddy, but if it proves too slow then it may get moved again! Need to see how it goes. Will be substantially easier next time, though.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If anyone has had consistent problems logging in to the blog since we moved servers last week - and I know a couple of people have - then this might help.

You will get an error message along the lines of 'too many diverts'.

This occurs when your PC or router is not bothering to look up the DNS (location) of the blog but is relying on the data it used last time. Unfortunately, that data sends your PC off to the old blog, which diverts you to the new one, except that your PC then immediately diverts you back!

There are a number of solutions.

The first and easiest is to turn off your router and turn it on again. If your router stores DNS information, this is likely to be the cause. I just helped someone with a case of this.

With an ipad, it is likely to be the ipad storing old DNS data. In this case, you need to do Settings, Safari, Clear Cookies & Data. This will have the side effect of wiping out some stored passwords, although not all of them.

If it is your PC that is storing the wrong cached DNS data, then you can try:

Pressing Control and F5 together
or
Downloading the CCleaner programme from www.ccleaner.com and running it once to clear out your cached data
or
go here http://tutorials.securesignup.net/ge...dns-cache.html and look up the relevant data for your hardware.

Thanks. Apologies for posting this here, but by definition those who are suffering cannot see the answer if I post it on HFP!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles
This occurs when your PC or router is not bothering to look up the DNS (location) of the blog but is relying on the data it used last time. Unfortunately, that data sends your PC off to the old blog, which diverts you to the new one, except that your PC then immediately diverts you back!
Could you not get you old site to forward to the IP address of the new site or does your previous hosting company not allow that? It would probably help in the short term.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Could you not get you old site to forward to the IP address of the new site or does your previous hosting company not allow that? It would probably help in the short term.
That what I've done. And that is the problem!

Originally, hfp.com sent you to wordpress.com. Now the blog sits at hfp.com.

The old blog, at wordpress.com, now diverts you to hfp.com.

So, if your router stores DNS entries rather than re-checking each time, what happens is - router sends a hfp.com request to wordpress.com, wordpress.com sends it back to hfp.com, router sends it back to wordpress.com ... and so on!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.