Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Don't Fly. Support Team GB." - BA's new Olympic ad campaign

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.

BA launches 'Don't fly' campaign for London Olympics

Jun 19, 2012 09:28AM GMT
1 Comment
British Airways has launched an Olympics marketing campaign that risks antagonising the outbound travel industry by declaring: “Don’t Fly. Support Team GB.”

BA says the advertising campaign is to encourage Britons to stay in the UK during the London Olympics and Paralympic Games, but describes it as “tongue-in-cheek”.

The carrier argues it follows research which highlights the benefit of ‘home advantage’ for athletes who perform in their own country.

But the move follows uproar over a government-funded domestic tourism campaign, launched this sprint, which asked “Why would you want to go abroad?” Senior figures in the sector denounced the campaign as “against the outbound industry”.

In a statement BA said: “Millions of Britons have juggled holiday plans to be in the UK for the Games.”

The carrier will launch the campaign today on Facebook at 11:00 and premier a new TV advert tonight during England’s European Championship football match against Ukraine.

The advert features a BA aircraft taxiing by road through London to the soundtrack of London Calling by The Clash. The tagline “Don’t Fly. Support Team GB and ParalympicsGB” appears as the aircraft reaches the Olympic Park.

BA will place ads with the same message in national newspapers and on outdoor posters. The campaign will also run online and in social media, using the hashtag #HomeAdvantage on Twitter.

BA said: “In an online version on BA’s Facebook page, users can input their postcode and watch the aircraft taxi down their street.”

Frank van der Post, BA managing director of brands and customer experience, said: “We’re rallying the country to get behind Team GB and ParalympicsGB.”

Van der Post said that includes “delaying your summer holiday”. “We are encouraging every clap, cheer and whoop we can get,” he said.

People who nonetheless choose to fly will be able to watch the action on screens in the lounges at Heathrow Terminal 5, and BA will host a dedicated area at the Olympic Park for up to 10,000 fans to watch the Olympics live on giant screens.

BA is the official airline partner of Team GB and ParalympicsGB.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articl...+olympics.html
Old Jun 19, 2012, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
For those of you who like me are a non Facebooker it will be shown just before the National Anthem before the tonights football.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
For those of you who like me are a non Facebooker it will be shown just before the National Anthem before the tonights football.
^ Indeed and even on Facebook the videos on the BA page come from YouTube so I am sure someone will post the link before this evening.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
An airline asking customers not to fly?

How bonkers! Look out for Tesco asking customers to shop at the (non-Tesco-branded) corner shop? Vodafone saying 'don't text, write a letter'?

Originally Posted by Travel Weekly reported by BahrainLad
In a statement BA said: “Millions of Britons have juggled holiday plans to be in the UK for the Games.”
Ahem, there are many who have juggled holiday plans to be outside the UK for the Games.

And what is this Facebook nonsense?

Where's my coffee?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:04 am
Original Poster

And here's the ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6VzhDE1Wso
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Disembarking from the right hand side of the aircraft .... Hmm.

Well, it's a different ad.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Disembarking from the right hand side of the aircraft .... Hmm.

Well, it's a different ad.
At least no Bussing
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
The route shown taken by the plane from LHR to Central London is clearly fanciful - no way it would be able to negotiate the Hogarth Roundabout
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:14 am

Programs: MUCCI
No wonder the Hammersmith flyover needed strengthening...
[11 seconds mark.]
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
What I'm wondering is whether there will be a bulk of very cheap seats out of the UK when tons of foreigners come into London? I'd say this is probably the most excellent time to do some mileage runs, as these people will also have to go back so there are dozens of empty planes coming back into the UK for your return
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
The OH went to a consumer 'focus' group where the 'Don't fly' notion was put forward. Needless to say it was roundly condemned by the whole group as typical advertising nonsense, potentially counter-productive and, at the very least, absolutely bonkers. So, whaddya know, they use it.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nwmgc
The OH went to a consumer 'focus' group where the 'Don't fly' notion was put forward. Needless to say it was roundly condemned by the whole group as typical advertising nonsense, potentially counter-productive and, at the very least, absolutely bonkers. So, whaddya know, they use it.
How do you know this?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Well... I think it is blinking fantastic!

I am really not interested in the Olympics and hope that BA send me as far away from London as possible, because of the disruption to my life at home... However, I really do think it is a great advert, very well done!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by David-A
No wonder the Hammersmith flyover needed strengthening...
[11 seconds mark.]
That's actually the Brentford flyover.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Not sure about the "Don't fly line". But other than that, I think it's a brilliant ad - love the sight of tailfin making its way around London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.