Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Don't Fly. Support Team GB." - BA's new Olympic ad campaign

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Don't Fly. Support Team GB." - BA's new Olympic ad campaign

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by xxxxx
BMW are a 2012 sponsor and cost absolutely nothing. They're heavily branded and BMW have a showroom at the park.

Why do you have to be so negative about everything?
Not negative about everything at all … those who have met me will know I'm a cheerful and positive person.

I queried the use of BMWs, which do not [AFAIK] come cheap. I received an answer which explained that. End of.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by T8191
I queried the use of BMWs, which do not [AFAIK] come cheap.
You're probably right about the resale value likely to be good. Every one of these that I've seen being driven has been being driven sedately, without (significantly) exceeding the speed limit. You'd suspect that they've all got live GPS trackers fitted to them. They'll probably still be in pretty good nick after the Games are over.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Globaliser
They have stuffed up big time in relation to the last handful of weeks of the contract, but that one problem doesn't mean that the entire company deserves to be written off as "absurd".
Indeed. Their record is appalling, not just over 'the last handful of weeks'.

FTers and others will know them as the employer of the thugs who beat to death a detainee on board a BA plane. They have many other strings to their bow in their (mal)administration of justice on behalf of the authorities, some serious, some ludicrous - like the attachment of a tracking device to a prisoner's artificial leg whose owner unstrapped the device and absconded.

In the case of the current 'security' debate, G4S had years to plan. Executing was simple, starting several months ago. MO: recruit numbers of potential 'security' people offering them close to the minimum wage for a short period of paid work but without confirming their acceptance. After all, why would they expect more if they're unemployed? Then, close to the deadline (i.e. over the last few weeks) try to confirm those previously identified and find that a number have found jobs in the meantime so didn't turn up. Then own up to the home secretary who claimed to have had no knowledge of the situation - in which case HMG's monitoring was awry. Yes, HMG where security matters are involved.

Had G4S succeeded in providing the numbers they promised, they stood to gain £30,000 per person according to LBC who juggled the figures and came to that conclusion. Not bad. It remains to be seen what they will end up with assuming that they will pay the extra costs for the army.

For today's episode see:
G4S staff 'cheat' on tests to run x-ray scanners at Olympic Games -
Recruits given several chances to pass exams on bomb
- http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ju...-olympic-games

Their tentacles are everywhere. Our gas and electricity meters were read by a G4S person (who was weary of all the comments people were making about his G4S uniform). Security at the National Film Theatre aka BFI Southbank is provided by G4S. All quite apart from their numerous other contracts.

They already rebranded once because of the poor reputation of Group 4 (merging with Securicor helped). I wonder when the next rebranding will take place, not to mention enhancing the board by removing the chief executive.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Some of the current small format print ads are tickling the childish side of my sense of humour.

Particularly:-
  • [*]
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:48 pm

Thank you for not flying

BA wish (according to the BA website): '…to say thank you for not flying and supporting Team GB'

I did fly during the Olympics. Quite a bit actually.
And I have supported, and still do support, Team GB.

Sorry BA if that makes you cross.

But I do wonder how many thousands of pounds were spent coming up with this 'innovative' advertising campaign.

At this point, I have to hold my hand up and say: I'm a gullible chap when it comes to advertising.

I really am.

And so instead of flying LHR to BRU tomorrow, I'm catching the Eurostar. ;-)
Old Aug 11, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Globaliser
You're probably right about the resale value likely to be good. Every one of these that I've seen being driven has been being driven sedately, without (significantly) exceeding the speed limit. You'd suspect that they've all got live GPS trackers fitted to them. They'll probably still be in pretty good nick after the Games are over.
With a number of these marques, the theoretical margin on the car as a "used" vehicle is higher than brand new - so if they attribute some depreciation to marketing then they will make a higher profit by selling it post-games than if they sold it off the factory line - that is of course ignoring the fact that as a company they've written off some of the value but then that is how modern value accounting works.....
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by abitwild

And so instead of flying LHR to BRU tomorrow, I'm catching the Eurostar. ;-)
^ I'm sure this sort of behaviour change is what BA's (dis)advertising department was aiming for .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.