Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bishopsgate to LHR T3?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Bishopsgate to LHR T3?

My flight to US leaves T3 at 5:00 pm on a Friday. Carry-on with AA Plat/OW Emerald status. I plan on walking out the door at corner of Bishopsgate and A1211 at 2 pm. Can I make it on time? If cost not a concern, do you recommend Taxi to Paddington and taking HEX; or, Tube at Liverpool Station to Paddington to Hex; or, Taxi all the way to LHR?
Old May 30, 2012, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Easy.

If someone else was paying, I would get the tube from Liv St to Paddington and then the HEx, should be there in 60 minutes, depending on how long you wait for a HEx.

Cheaper alternative is Liv St tube to Holborn (Central) and then to the Piccadilly, that is probably closer to 75 minutes.

Wouldn't bother with a taxi.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:15 am

Programs: BA, VS
A taxi at 2pm on a Friday could be a disaster, just jump on the H&C line to Paddington and then HEx.
Old May 31, 2012, 1:36 am

Agree with the others, a taxi could take ages, the tube and Hex is probably your best bet. However do have an alternative route in case one line is down for whatever reason. If the Circle/H&C isn't working then you can always take the central line to Lancaster Gate where its a 200m walk to Paddington.
Old May 31, 2012, 2:31 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Yes, a tube-and-Heathrow Express combination is the best option.

I once managed to get from Moorgate (just one station closer in from Liverpool Street) to Paddington and on to my gate at T3 in under an hour. Admittedly I already had a boarding pass and just carry-on luggage, and despite timing the Heathrow Express departure to perfection, I still had to sprint through T3... but anyway, back to your question, three hours should be ample time in your case.
Old May 31, 2012, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Little or no luggage?

Boris Bike to HEX > LHR
Old May 31, 2012, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
I work very close to there and add my recommendation to tube to Paddington and Heathrow Express to T3. Made big mistake of a car to T3 before (it was the VS limo service) and missed flight!
Old May 31, 2012, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
http://www.virginlimobike.com/

If you're feeling adventurous?
Old May 31, 2012, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, BA AmexPremPlus, AmexGoldMR, Oyster card
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
http://www.virginlimobike.com/

If you're feeling adventurous?
+1

Assuming it's this Friday, the Central London traffic will be worse than usual (as this is the Friday before a bank holiday weekend). The Limobike is the fastest and most dependable; failing that, the circle line to Paddington and then Heathrow Express.
Old May 31, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
I work in Bishopsgate and do this route regularly. If you have time (which you do) the Central Line to Holborn then the Picadilly line to Heathrow is an easy (and cheap) route and shouldn't take more than 70-80 minutes. However, although more expensive, the HEX is quicker and nicer. The Circle line from Liverpool street to Paddington should take about 25 minutes and the HEX runs four times an hour (10,25,40 and 55), so you shouldn't have to wait long. If you get a good connection you can do it door to door in 45 minutes.
Old May 31, 2012, 6:38 am
Original Poster

All very helpful - thanks

Has anybody actually used the Limobike? Why is it so much faster than a taxi - because it weaves between stopped traffic?

Anybody care to estimate travel time from Bishopsgate to T3 on Limobike?

How about Bishopsgate to Paddington on Limobike?

This is at 2 pm Friday 15 June

Thanks

PS - does Limobike require that I have a tattoo or some exotic piercings?
Old May 31, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Definitely use tube, either to Paddington + HEX or to Holborn and then on the Piccadilly Line to LHR. Depending on delays when changing lines and waiting time for a HEX at Paddington, both options will be very similar in timing.

There should be no issue in getting there on time. I'd avoid taxis, it's not going to be quicker at all, you'll just get stuck in Central London traffic, even more so with all the extra road works currently going on prior to the Olympics.

As you have the choice between two alternative routes, check the tube status screens at Liverpool Street Station to make sure there is no problem on one of them.

At that time on a Friday, both tube routes will be fairly smooth and not too busy.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Again, just to add a granular detail...

Use the entrance directly onto the relevant tube platforms at Liverpool Street (corner of Liverpool Street and Old Broad Street) as opposed to going in and fighting the crowds through the main station. If you need to get to the Central Line from here (delays or whatever) then it's just as easy.

From Liverpool Street, you can get on the Circle line (via Kings Cross) or the Hammersmith & City line. Don't get on a Metropolitan line train as you'll have to change at Baker Street onto one of the trains you could have waited for at Liverpool Street anyway!
Old May 31, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, AF, VS, AA, Amex, etc
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Don't get on a Metropolitan line train as you'll have to change at Baker Street onto one of the trains you could have waited for at Liverpool Street anyway!
Actually I find it can be worth doing this sometimes if the platforms at Liverpool Street are very busy (which may well be the case on Friday afternoon) - the Met line trains are often less full (at least compared with the platform), especially now that they are running the new high-capacity trains without doors between the carriages on the Met line.

BUT - if you do this then get off and change at Great Portland Street not Baker Street so that you can stay on the same platform and wait at a station which is likely to be much less busy.
Old May 31, 2012, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Again, all of this advice is much appreciated. Can I push back a bit on the idea of a taxi to Paddington to catch HEX? What is typical time and then reasonable worst case scenario time on Friday afternoon at 2 pm? I ask because jumping in a taxi is less prone to human error (my human error) than is the Tube. Just as an example, a couple weeks ago in Paris I got on the metro going the wrong way - not a big deal then because I wasnt in a hurry but would screw me up significantly on this trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.