FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Crying baby in club world?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1350717-crying-baby-club-world.html)

PUCCI GALORE May 29, 2012 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by StevieJ (Post 18661563)
blimey, you just described all the BA forum members there :D

No there is one category that he has overlooked. Those that just smell appalling.

This may or may not affect many but Oh My I had someone on board (CW) last week and I really believe that he had not washed his clothes in months. He stank of BO - reeked of it. I have a really strong stomach and even I nearly retched. I felt as though I had dived into the armpit of the world. He came from a part of the world where this seems to be more acceptable than elsewhere (no not the London Underground in summer).

He also had a habit of scratching his aforesaid armpits any time we tried to serve anything. It is a bit complicated trying to deliver CW service with a barge pole.

Screaming babies and business men. Ill mannered children, their parents, Nannies who try and change the babies in the cabin - all of these I can cope with or at least try. This I could not. I admit to total failure as I thought that I was going to be sick. You can at least use the noise cancelling headphones for your ears - try sleeping with a peg on your nose like Amy March.

I am sorry to be so graphic but trust me there is worse. Much worse.

itsmeitisss May 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by MNManInKen (Post 18658412)
I couldn't agree more with this.

People need to take responsibility for their kids and that includes making sure their kids don't go on and make life miserable for others. I don't visit my private life and tribulations on others, but somehow parents seem to think that their kids are all our problems and, as testified in this thread again, we should all put up with it.

When I was young, a long time ago admittedly, we were raised to be well behaved and not make a nuisance of ourselves in public. If despite that some little tyke still misbehaved, a clip around the ears from a nearby adult usually settled the matter. If you do that these days to a stranger's kid, they'll cart you off to be entertained at Her Majesty's pleasure.

We all have good and bad days, but the idea that somehow it's ok to impose heavily on others just because the imposition happens to be children and you happen to be a parent is ridiculous.

Psychologically, we tend to not remember when all goes well, it's "uneventful". So, on that basis, I'd suggest that in most cases kids are not a problem at all, provided parents do their jobs well - they'll be well behaved and properly fed, hydrated etc - and thus not make a nuisance for the rest of us, hence we forget about it in the first place. The, probably relatively minor, group who can't be bothered to get their act together and ensure their kids are fit for travel and able to do so without causing the rest of us to suffer should expect to be tackled on it quite strongly.

For many professions, you need extensive training and practice before you're even allowed near a real job. Unfortunately, there is no requirement for people to be suitably qualified as educators and parents before they go off and procreate, even though raising kids properly is perhaps the most important task ever.

I smile yet again at how this forum gets sidetracked and ignores several messages form other posters about the difference between bad behaviour and a baby crying. A baby cries for a reason, not necessarily out of being naughty, yet when someone talks about crying babies they assume they mean unruly, naughty children. HUge difference between the two

Gash May 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 18662887)
No there is one category that he has overlooked. Those that just smell appalling.

This may or may not affect many but Oh My I had someone on board (CW) last week and I really believe that he had not washed his clothes in months. He stank of BO - reeked of it. I have a really strong stomach and even I nearly retched. I felt as though I had dived into the armpit of the world. He came from a part of the world where this seems to be more acceptable than elsewhere (no not the London Underground in summer).

He also had a habit of scratching his aforesaid armpits any time we tried to serve anything. It is a bit complicated trying to deliver CW service with a barge pole.

Screaming babies and business men. Ill mannered children, their parents, Nannies who try and change the babies in the cabin - all of these I can cope with or at least try. This I could not. I admit to total failure as I thought that I was going to be sick. You can at least use the noise cancelling headphones for your ears - try sleeping with a peg on your nose like Amy March.

I am sorry to be so graphic but trust me there is worse. Much worse.

Although not wanting you to barf your stomach contents - it may have had a useful consequence - specifically the pax needing to "bathe" the puke off - and so also possibly the wretched smell. Now to be truly successful you would have had to cover only the pax - not the seat/floor, etc :)

MNManInKen May 29, 2012 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss (Post 18663005)
I smile yet again at how this forum gets sidetracked and ignores several messages form other posters about the difference between bad behaviour and a baby crying. A baby cries for a reason, not necessarily out of being naughty, yet when someone talks about crying babies they assume they mean unruly, naughty children. HUge difference between the two

Read again. My post was about the parents taking responsibility and doing so with consideration for others, not just their own selfish interest. That includes considering whether or not it is really wise to get on a plane with a very young baby. :rolleyes:

The bottom line remains the same: I don't see why other people need to offload their life style choices onto me.

Gash May 29, 2012 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by MNManInKen (Post 18663366)
Read again. My post was about the parents taking responsibility and doing so with consideration for others, not just their own selfish interest. That includes considering whether or not it is really wise to get on a plane with a very young baby. :rolleyes:

The bottom line remains the same: I don't see why other people need to offload their life style choices onto me.

I decided to "read again" - your post certainly appears directed towards parental responsibility - but also heavily towards misbehaving children not upset babies. But why do you believe that going on a flight with your family is "selfish interest"? Maybe it is vacation (I think families are allowed those occasionally) - maybe it is a trip to see other family members less able to fly (for multitudes of reasons) - why is their need/desire to be in a metal tube 40,000ft up for multiple hours any more or less selfish than yours?

Why is it "unwise" to fly with a young baby? Even you mention that "in most cases kids are not a problem at all" - so what makes the decision to fly unwise? :confused:

I understand people do not like screaming babies (most parents included) and what has been said many times - unruly misbehaving kids - are not acceptable...but do you really get to the gate and start counting kids/families and then tense up because they had the audacity to be on the same plane just so that they could cause you to suffer?

I hope not 'cos the world really isn't that unfriendly that everyone is out to get everyone else - at least most of those expecting to be sharing public transport for a few hours don't tend to be!

And regarding your comments about people "offloading their lifestyle choices on you" - maybe ask the airlines to see if they can accommodate your particular lifestyle choice people ONLY on certain flights - of course at increased cost as it is a special request - and good luck with that - really it may succeed....get special tag on FF membership - no families only flights...of course then you would be lower than a blue Chase redemption should you need to be on a route that didn't have that particular flight offering, but I am sure it would be survivable. :)

HIDDY May 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by MNManInKen (Post 18663366)

Strange comment? :confused:

eightblack May 29, 2012 9:43 pm

I would rate my parenting skills as average. My wife would rate them even lower. Despite this, my view is simple. It is my responsibility to control my own children. Thankfully, our small humans are now 9 and 11 and they dont cause an issue when we travel. Mostly because we never travel as a group of 4. Smartest thing I have ever figured out.

When we relocated from the US to Australia, many years ago we all travelled in F on QF. Our son was 4-months old. I was well and truly stressing prior to the flight as I didn't want the child affecting my flight or those around him.

He was pleasantly well behaved for the majority and when he started to wimper, it was off to the galley where, with the aid of the crew, I administered as much phenergan as possible. He had the stuff coming out his ears.

Call me old fashioned, but sometimes a clip around the ear is warranted. To both the parent who is letting a kid run amok and to the offending child.

Tyrolean May 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by thomastuyaerts (Post 18660263)
myself and the misses spend £10.000 per year on travel with BA (Own hard earned cash)

Whoops. That is about one trip with my whole family.

Tyrolean May 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by henkybaby (Post 18654998)
I just reread the report and it was actually half the miles of the one-way. I still remember the call with the KLM call centre (this was before FB ruined everything) where the lady was very understanding. She had actually seen the picture and felt rather sorry for me. Not all people immediately consider you to be a miserable sod if you happen to dislike being kept up all night by someone else's kids.

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL359.../358922531.jpg

I hope that you have the written premission of everybody in that photo. Otherwise, depending on your nationality you may receive either nasty post from lawyers or the police.

Hey: You are complaining about a crying baby but you are not respecing basic privacy! Nothing more to add!

If I would be on that picture with my kids, you would REALLY be into trouble. In the end I would get much more compensation from you than you would have payed for the flight.

THIS IS NOT FUN!

ColdWalker May 29, 2012 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by eightblack (Post 18664062)

He was pleasantly well behaved for the majority and when he started to wimper, it was off to the galley where, with the aid of the crew, .

It's easy to almost demonise babies on planes. But your story reminds me of a flight I took a couple of years ago. It was an urgent journey so I ended up booking one of the last WT+ seats on a full flight. When I boarded, to my horror I was not only in the middle of the middle row but next to a baby. 11 hours of wall to wall crying.

He didn't cry on climb. He went to sleep as soon as we were at cruise, he was occasionally changed then went back to sleep and he had a minor wimper on decent but not a proper cry. Yet his poor mother still felt she had to apologise to me for having to sit next to her son. Clearly she had seen my face when we boarded. I ended up having to apologise and eat humble pie myself.

No particular point to make with the story. Just thought I old say. :)

BizFlyin May 29, 2012 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Tyrolean (Post 18664380)
Whoops. That is about one trip with my whole family.

I didn't want to say it, but I had the exact same thought. Guess we understand why BA lets kids fly :)

China Clipper May 30, 2012 12:00 am

Originally Posted by mkjr (Post 18660790)
if you shook me, you would be arrested as well as i claimed you assaulted me in a violent manner without provocation. i lie well and am very vindictive...

Are you my ex-wife?

China Clipper May 30, 2012 12:04 am

Originally Posted by johnny5a (Post 18661040)
I agree - this annoys me - people leave their prams in the middle of the aisle on trains and expect people to get around them - unfortunately I'm in the minority of being considerate and making sure I am in the correct carriage for prams.

even though I am a parent there seems to be more inconsiderate parents seems more than considerate ones.

What blows my mind are mothers who push their prams right into heavy vehicular traffic. I've seen it a number of times. Sure enough, drivers swerve and/or jam on their brakes and catastrophe is averted every time. (Every time that I've seen anyway.) Mothers & drivers both are well aware of how it would look in court if you were brought up on charges of striking a pram with your gas guzzler.

But still I wonder at the (entitled) mindset that puts ones child at risk like that.

johnny5a May 30, 2012 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Marsden (Post 18664473)
What blows my mind are mothers who push their prams right into heavy vehicular traffic. ....
But still I wonder at the (entitled) mindset that puts ones child at risk like that.

I've seen this alot - what happens is they walk to the kerb, standing on the kerb .. forgetting that the pram is now on the road but in their mind they're on the kerb

johnny5a May 30, 2012 12:48 am

This has to be the solution

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-X.../s576/hold.jpg