Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to resume flights to ICN

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
No reward space yet, will probably be loaded in the next couple of weeks as has happened with recently opened routes
Old May 3, 2012, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Very welcome return to ICN. I was on one of the very last flights when the route was pulled 14 years ago.

Not sure if I'll be rushing back, but let's say South Korea is an interesting country
Old May 3, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dnajockey
No reward space yet, will probably be loaded in the next couple of weeks as has happened with recently opened routes
Actually, nothing but fully flexible fares as yet - cheapest CW return ~9k!
Old May 3, 2012, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by stargold
For starters, I'd imagine that most UK-based travellers would far prefer BA over KE simply for the reason that KE is not in Oneworld, which means that flying KE involves orphan miles in some of the most dreadful FFP programs in existence such as Flying Blue.

Plus, the current KE equipment to/from LHR is not fully flat in J, so that would be an advantage for the BA flight.
You do know that many non-London based UK flyers are already members of Skyteam, due to the superior coverage regional airports get from AF/KLM? The north of England KLM contingent is really rather big actually (as the recent, fabulous AF Do showed!) - but then KLM fly from five airports in the north of England, as opposed to BA's two.

And given that there will be Skyteam elites who hold no status in BA, they will probably have the same attitude towards flying with an airline with which they hold no status as you do. I think you are running the risk of taking your own situiation and assuming it applies to everyone. I was very well looked after by Skyteam on the route (80% op-up rate! ) and I also managed to avoid flying KE.

I've always been surprised that BA weren't in ICN - it's one of the biggest international freight airports in the world. But KLM's clever use of combi-747s on the route probably kept the route alive at times when the pax numbers were not holding up, and that's something BA doesn't have. Good to see them go back though -South Korea is an overlooked but pretty fascinating country.
Old May 3, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS & Aeroplan Red, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honours, Hertz Gold, GHA Discovery Platinum
Originally Posted by Stez
Just out of interest for my future travels, why would they be glad of the opportunity to take BA over Korean Air?
To avoid being served kimchi with every meal?

I'm glad, too - I've always had to go via HKG (not the end of the world, extra points for the CX leg to ICN and we have a regional hub in HK so a quick stopover is always useful).

But to be able to do LHR-HKG-ICN-LHR is very useful
Old May 3, 2012, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Jenbel
You do know that many non-London based UK flyers are already members of Skyteam, due to the superior coverage regional airports get from AF/KLM? The north of England KLM contingent is really rather big actually (as the recent, fabulous AF Do showed!) - but then KLM fly from five airports in the north of England, as opposed to BA's two.
A valid point, but the argument falls down on the fact that those self-same AF/KL flyers are more likely to want to connect via AMS or CDG when flying to ICN than to want to take KE direct from LHR...
Old May 3, 2012, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by steve_w
To avoid being served kimchi with every meal?
Vile stuff!
Old May 3, 2012, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Angry

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Vile stuff!
Nooo! It is fabulous - in fact Korean food is one of Asia's undiscovered culinary gems.
Old May 3, 2012, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I love kimchi ^
Old May 3, 2012, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Nooo! It is fabulous - in fact Korean food is one of Asia's undiscovered culinary gems.
Ah but then I don't like spicy food and my one taste (okay so that was in BDA but still) was so hot that I drank almost an entire litre of water and half a loaf of bread trying to get rid of the taste from my mouth. Those I was with found it very funny,
Old May 3, 2012, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by irishguy28
A valid point, but the argument falls down on the fact that those self-same AF/KL flyers are more likely to want to connect via AMS or CDG when flying to ICN than to want to take KE direct from LHR...
Very likely. But the attitude in the thread was that KE was the only current option and that thus, us UK based flyers would fall over ourselves to fly BA.

All I'm doing is pointing out that isn't necessarily the case and that for many people, there is a world outside BA. That world has constricted due to the loss of BD, and the changes to FB, but there is a glimmer of hope in the FB world.

As to the food - there are lots of excellent Korean foods. Kimchi should stay buried however. And ox-tail fat soup is a horror. But I'll eat bulgogi anytime.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very likely. But the attitude in the thread was that KE was the only current option and that thus, us UK based flyers would fall over ourselves to fly BA.

All I'm doing is pointing out that isn't necessarily the case and that for many people, there is a world outside BA. That world has constricted due to the loss of BD, and the changes to FB, but there is a glimmer of hope in the FB world.

As to the food - there are lots of excellent Korean foods. Kimchi should stay buried however. And ox-tail fat soup is a horror. But I'll eat bulgogi anytime.
I'm glad someone agrees with me and if you're ever in London on a match day there is a stall according to Wikipedia selling bulgogi steak baguettes outside Arsenal FC's Emirates Stadium.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Quite enjoy a bulgogi myself.

Seoul is a fun place - especially during the annual student riots.
Old May 3, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS & Aeroplan Red, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honours, Hertz Gold, GHA Discovery Platinum
Originally Posted by irmster
Quite enjoy a bulgogi myself.

Seoul is a fun place - especially during the annual student riots.
I really enjoy the food - just get a bit tired of kimchi with every meal, including breakfast. Really like Korea, though. Seoul is great, and Suwon is fun, too - especially the Toilet museum
Old May 3, 2012, 9:05 am
Suspended

And given that there will be Skyteam elites who hold no status in BA, they will probably have the same attitude towards flying with an airline with which they hold no status as you do. I think you are running the risk of taking your own situiation and assuming it applies to everyone. I was very well looked after by Skyteam on the route (80% op-up rate! ) and I also managed to avoid flying KE.

I've always been surprised that BA weren't in ICN - it's one of the biggest international freight airports in the world. But KLM's clever use of combi-747s on the route probably kept the route alive at times when the pax numbers were not holding up, and that's something BA doesn't have. Good to see them go back though -South Korea is an overlooked but pretty fascinating country.
They were talking about London based flyers who would have the choice between Korean, BA or Asiana. I doubt London based flyers would have many Skyteam miles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.