Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing Avios: limits?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Purchasing Avios: limits?

I can buy up to 24,000 Avios for up to six other EC members. So I buy 24,000 Avios for each other member in my household account resulting in 144,000 Avios. Can each of the members then in turn in their own right buy 24,000 Avios for each of the other members resulting in a further 6 x 144,000 Avios pooled in the household account? (Assuming anyone would want to spend all that money of course.) Or am I missing something?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:40 am

Are you mixing up buying and transferring avios?

You can transfer your avios to up to 6 friends and I there is a bonus on right now, but you need to have the avios in the first place.

You can also buy avios, you can also buy for others. The price is a lot higher than transferring though. I doubt it would be worth buying the maximum for a number of people in a household account.

Buying 24,000 x 6 would leave you 6,000 short of a return in F from the UK to the west coast USA, but it would cost 2,400 or so. Add on the taxes and fees and you are looking at the same price as a restricted first class ticket. So you get flexibility for free.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ella2001
I can buy up to 24,000 Avios for up to six other EC members. So I buy 24,000 Avios for each other member in my household account resulting in 144,000 Avios. Can each of the members then in turn in their own right buy 24,000 Avios for each of the other members resulting in a further 6 x 144,000 Avios pooled in the household account? (Assuming anyone would want to spend all that money of course.) Or am I missing something?
You can only receive 24,000 avios in one calendar year. See the t and c's:
Purchasing Avios Points for yourself
1. The Purchaser can purchase a maximum of 24,000 Avios Points in any one calendar year.

2. Avios Points can only be purchased in multiples of 1,000.

3. The Purchaser will be able to spend Avios Points when they appear as credited in the Purchasers Executive Club account. There may be occasions where there is a delay in the Avios Points being credited to your account. Please check details with your local service centre.

4. Avios Points can only be purchased online using the Purchase Avios Points Application Form.

5. The Purchaser must be a Member of the British Airways Executive Club and aged 18 or over.

6. Purchasing Avios Points will reset the 36-month Avios Points expiry rule, as set out in the Executive Club Terms and Conditions.

7. The Purchaser may cancel the purchase of the Avios Points within 7 days of the transaction taking place so long as such Avios Points have not been used. The Purchaser must make the request in writing (including by email) or by telephone to the Executive Club in their country (contact details can be found on ba.com) and will receive a refund within 30 days of the request. Avios Points which are subsequently refunded will not constitute activity for the purposes of the 36-month Avios Points expiry rule.

8. In accordance with the Executive Club Terms and Conditions, Members will be liable for all taxes and other charges associated with travel on British Airways or a Service Partner airline (as defined in Clause 2 of the Executive Club Terms and Conditions), including without limitation, airport departure tax, customs fines, immigration fees, airport charges, customer user fees, fuel surcharges, agricultural inspection fees, security and insurance surcharge or other incidental fees or taxes charged by any person or relevant authority or body.

9. In the case of Fraud or Misconduct, both as defined in Clause 2 of the Executive Club Terms and Conditions, British Airways reserves the right at any time in its absolute discretion to terminate the membership of any Member and may cancel all accrued and accruing Avios Points of the Member and any reward booking.

Purchasing Avios Points for someone else
1. The Purchaser can purchase a maximum of 24,000 Avios Points for any one Member, in any one calendar year. There may be occasions where there is a delay in the Avios Points being credited to your account. Please check details with your local service centre.

2. A Recipient of purchased Avios Points can receive a maximum of 24,000 Avios Points in any one calendar year in aggregate, irrespective of the number of Purchasers.

3. The Recipient will be able to spend Avios Points when they appear as credited in the Recipients Executive Club account.

4. Avios Points can only be purchased in multiples of 1,000.

5. The Purchaser can only purchase Avios Points for one Recipient per transaction

6. Avios Points can only be purchased online using the Purchase Avios Points Application Form.

7. In order to purchase Avios Points, the Purchaser will need to know the Recipients full name, email address and Executive Club membership number. The Purchaser should ensure that the Recipient has not received more than 24,000 Avios Points, including the proposed Avios Points transaction, in that calendar year. The Purchaser and Recipient will receive an email once the purchase is complete.

8. Both the Purchaser and Recipient must be Members of the British Airways Executive Club.

9. The Purchaser must be 18 or over. The Recipient can be of any age, however, if the Recipient is under the age of 18, he or she must be a Member of a Household Account.

10. Purchasing Avios Points will reset the 36-month Avios Points expiry rule, as set out in the Executive Club Terms and Conditions, for the Recipient.

11. The Purchaser may cancel the purchase of the Avios Points within 7 days of the transaction taking place so long as such Avios Points have not been used by the Recipient. The Purchaser must make the request in writing (including by email) or by telephone to the Executive Club in their country (contact details can be found on ba.com) and will receive a refund within 30 days of the request. By making such request, the Purchaser warrants and represents that they have obtained the consent of the Recipient and hereby acknowledges and agrees that British Airways and its subsidiaries will have no responsibility to the Recipient for such cancellation. Avios Points which are subsequently refunded will not constitute activity for the purposes of the 36-month Avios Points expiry rule.

12. In accordance with the Executive Club Terms and Conditions, Members will be liable for all taxes and other charges associated with travel on British Airways or a Service Partner airline (as defined in Clause 2 of the Executive Club Terms and Conditions), including without limitation, airport departure tax, customs fines, immigration fees, airport charges, customer user fees, fuel surcharges, agricultural inspection fees, security and insurance surcharge or other incidental fees or taxes charged by any person or relevant authority or body.

13. The Purchaser must not demand and the Recipient must not offer any value or value in kind for Avios Points. Such activity or any other use of Avios Points contrary to these Terms and Conditions will constitute a fundamental breach by the Member of these Terms and Conditions and therefore the contract between British Airways and the Member. In the event of such a breach, British Airways reserves the right at any time in its absolute discretion to terminate the membership of any Member. British Airways shall write to such Member stating their membership is being terminated for this reason.

14. In the case of Fraud or Misconduct, both as defined in the Executive Club Terms and Conditions, British Airways reserves the right at any time in its absolute discretion to terminate the membership of any Member and may cancel all accrued and accruing Avios Points of the Member and any reward booking.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks that is helpful. Does 'received' mean received from others or include those purchased for myself ie if I have purchased 24,000 myself, can someone else also buy me another 24,000?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Regardless of the technicalities, T&C or whatever, this is not necessarily an economic way to go about it.

Guess what, BA doesn't let you buy Avios without having a very good idea of the value to them.
Are you 100% sure you're going to get value, and beat the Dealer?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Ex Club Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Circle
Bonus Avios when buying with BA Amex

Hi everyone,

I have just seen a posting on another forum that states if you use a BA Amex to buy your avios, then you get a bonus -

4000 extra for each 10000 or 9000 if you buy the full allocation of 24000.

Just thought I would mention it, - anyone else heard of this offer?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:24 am

@sheepy26

Yeah I purchased 24000 last week with my BA AMEX and received the bonus 9000.

The miles were credited straight away
Old May 31, 2012, 5:53 am

Buying Avios - Is it economical?

Circumstances decide whether to buy avios or not. It is not 2500 pounds for cheapest first class ticket from UK to westcoast in US. Close to 5500 pounds return.

So infact , it can be cheaper if you buy close to 144000 miles which will cost you close to 2400 pounds + around 700 or 800 pounds. You could save 2,500 pounds.

Drawback is you need to keep looking for reward ticket dates which can be difficult on some routes especially if more than one passenger involved.

Short summary is If you think you got enough points already like 100,000 points then maybe worth trying to buy additional points to topup for getting some tickets.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Blue, BA Amex, VS red
Buying miles from diff sites and pooling together

Am I right in thinking now that you can as one individual purchase

Miles with BMI acc
Miles (avios) with BA
Miles (Avios) on Avios site

And then do a 1:1 transfer over to your BA acc and that isn't included in your 24 limit as this is actually a transfer from your other acc?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by smooth1978
Am I right in thinking now that you can as one individual purchase

Miles with BMI acc
Miles (avios) with BA
Miles (Avios) on Avios site

And then do a 1:1 transfer over to your BA acc and that isn't included in your 24 limit as this is actually a transfer from your other acc?
You can also sign up for Iberia Plus and do another purchase/transfer. They offer a 20% bonus too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.