Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling last sector of Reward flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Cancelling last sector of Reward flight?

I have a family flight in F that arrives into T5 at 6am.

Frustratingly our onward connection to MAN is at 8pm..... a 14 hour wait!

I've repeatedly called BA and Youfirst to try and get an earlier flight but there is nothing available (15th April) on earlier flights... Even revenue.

So... After discussing the options with my brood, and discounting spending the day in London, we have decided to catch the train back up Norf which costs me nothing thanks to my Virgin Traveller card.

Allowing for breakfast and a shower we have booked the train for 10am which gives us a couple of hours flexibility should our flight into LHR be delayed.

Question is this, can I cancel the final domestic leg and get some refund of taxes? If so, can I cancel right at the last minute just in case my flight is delayed into LHR by more than a few hours (thus providing me with extra insurance to fly home at 8pm instead of the train)?

All this because I can't get an earlier flight! Even looked at BMI but same problems. Must be something to do with the fact it is the last day of the Easter school holidays?

Last edited by oxtailsoup; Mar 27, 2012 at 3:54 pm
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:37 pm

I would wait and see what happens on the day, I have often got onto earlier flights at the airport, the main issue is checked in luggage though, you need to make sure it only gets tagged to LHR.
I managed to switch to an earlier flight the other week, but only by calling the euro BAEC no, they could not do it in the uk, guess it was one on those depends who answers the phone issues again.
I don't think you will get anything back on the domestic leg, but I would wait to the day and see. Good luck and have a great flight.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Assuming your flights to MAN are on the same PNR there won't be any taxes to refund as you have a domestic connection from an international arrival you won't pay the intra UK APD.

And yes 15th Apr is last day of the Easter Holidays (sp expect trains to be busy as well!)
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Must admit if it were me I could quite happily spend all day in the CCR as well as doing a bit of lounge hopping along the way but as you have the brood in tow I can fully understand why you have opted for the train option.

You will of course have to check-in your bags to LHR only and make do with the Arrivals lounge and CCR breakfast room. I suppose you could ask there about getting on an earlier flight then re-check in your bags and clear security.

If no earlier flight then let them know you won't be travelling.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

We will just get the train back (if flight on time). Already booked the (free) train tickets.

Wife doesn't fancy spending all day in the airport with the kids in tow, mainly because she wants to get home and put the washing in in the machine and generally get settled back in before the kids start the new term the next day. Plus we can put the kids to bed early.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
Thanks for the responses.

We will just get the train back (if flight on time). Already booked the (free) train tickets.

Wife doesn't fancy spending all day in the airport with the kids in tow, mainly because she wants to get home and put the washing in in the machine and generally get settled back in before the kids start the new term the next day. Plus we can put the kids to bed early.
So, let the wife and kids go on the train. You stay in the CCR and drink champagne all day and catch your flight. She can then pick you up at the airport at the other end.

You might also have to ask her to make up the spare-bedroom for you, and look out an ice-pack for that black eye you'll have...
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paralytic
So, let the wife and kids go on the train. You stay in the CCR and drink champagne all day and catch your flight. She can then pick you up at the airport at the other end.

You might also have to ask her to make up the spare-bedroom for you, and look out an ice-pack for that black eye you'll have...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.