Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Adding Car Hire gave big discount on flight but don't need car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum

Booked a flight today for work to Vegas (shame it's work I know).

But what surprised me the most was the headline price of £3.2K came down to £1.3K when I added a hire car. Now that's a massive price cut!! T class versus W tickets but hey it's a big discount.

Now the question though. The travel agent has advised me to pickup the car as I may be charged the full ticket price if I don't. This seems unlikely to me as I can't see anything in the t&c's that allow for this? Anyone had an experience with not picking up a car?

Really don't need a car in Vegas as I'm staying four days in a hotel and won't leave it, so I want to avoid the inconvenience of picking it up.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by stevea1234
Really don't need a car in Vegas as I'm staying four days in a hotel and won't leave it, so I want to avoid the inconvenience of picking it up.
Pick it up and drive up and down the strip for an hour (or 2 - depending on the traffic ) then return it At least you used the car hire.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You don't need to bother.

Alternatively, book 1 night of hotel instead and do not show for that, should also give the travel agent fare.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HHon Diamond, Fairmont Prem
Most hotels have free valet anyway in my experience so I'd just pick it up and dump it with the valet for the duration.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eddyegghead
Most hotels have free valet anyway in my experience so I'd just pick it up and dump it with the valet for the duration.
I know, but I would still rather spend 15 minutes in a cab then 45 to an hour sorting out a car. Plus my driving is bad enough at home, never mind after a long flight.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by stevea1234
Booked a flight today for work to Vegas (shame it's work I know).

But what surprised me the most was the headline price of £3.2K came down to £1.3K when I added a hire car. Now that's a massive price cut!! T class versus W tickets but hey it's a big discount.

Now the question though. The travel agent has advised me to pickup the car as I may be charged the full ticket price if I don't. This seems unlikely to me as I can't see anything in the t&c's that allow for this? Anyone had an experience with not picking up a car?

Almost all Vegas hotels have free self and valet parking. Pick up the car and drive yourself to the hotel. It'll save you $$$ on hopping in a cab or a shuttle bus anyway. And if you ever need to get from one end of the strip to another (or want to escape the strip and see the Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, etc.), having a car is convenient.

Or, worst case, go pick up the car and tell them you'd like to return it immediately.

Whatever you decide do, enjoy the trip!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA something, LH something, HHonors something, Sixt something
Thanks for the info! A new tactic has been added to the toolbox...
Old Feb 20, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Pop to the car-hire firm with both arms in slings, explaining that you err... fell over.... and although you really want to hire the car, it just wouldn't be safe!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Pop to the car-hire firm with both arms in slings, explaining that you err... fell over.... and although you really want to hire the car, it just wouldn't be safe!
Or dark glasses and a white cane....
Old Feb 20, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Or just forget your license?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: Mucci! (and BA Gold, HH Dia etc.)
I didnt hear of this before. Is it just TA flights or any destination? Is this for bookings made with BA over the phone? I am really curious about this one - please enlighten me !!!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I agree that it sounds unlikely that you would be charged extra for failing to collect the hire car. And considering that you don't see any such requirement in the contract, I think you're in the clear.

I've taken advantage of such discounts for many years and have never picked up the car or used the hotel. I have never heard of any such requirement and I've never had any negative consequences.

Perhaps the TA is wary as this scenario vaguely resembles hidden city ticketing, and the TA is concerned about being liable if the entire booking is not used…
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback!

Decided to check with BA so that I don't take any chances. Apparently I'm ok with not collecting the car, but I mustn't cancel it. If you cancel any part of a package deal like this they will charge you the FULL price.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:28 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Virgin Holidays got wise to this about a year or so ago and no longer allow you to book fly drives on line. They insist you call so they can discuss your "holiday plans" "because we've had business people do this just to get cheap fares"... well d'uh...
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:49 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
This has been bubbling under the surface for years. I can't help but feel that misuse of IT fares is the next thing that airlines will get strict on.

Well, I say airlines, but I really mean 'BA', as other airlines get strict on it (i've seen a certain SE Asian airline getting ballistic over it ). Didn't realise that VS has already taken steps...

But at the moment, if you don't pick up the car (as opposed to cancel it) I have no idea how you could be taken to task for it. However, there are lots of advantages as people have said to having a car in Vegas. Could you not pick it up the following day from the airport? I also can't stand driving after a long haul. A bad experience at LAX put paid to that, closely followed by driving to Drakensburg from JNB after no sleep in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.