Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How did this happen?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Often1
As it turns out, the mystery pax wasn't dumped at an airport other than LHR and left to get himself home. Rather, he elected to go it alone rather than accepting the custom provided by BA (presumably hotel & meals before the next AM flight).

While it is certainly OP's friend's right to do as he did, it is unfair to expect BA to willy-nilly pay the out-of-pocket expenses which each individual pax fancies.

Of course it's less than ideal. A wide body full of pax off an ultra-long haul can't land and diverts, presumably when it becomes apparent that LHR won't be able to accept the aircraft before it runs dangerously low on fuel.

Not quite sure what BA could have done under the circumstance except perhaps remain in a holding pattern over LHR until the fuel ran out?
Totally agree, if an unexpected situation occurs and an individual pax decides to make their own arrangements, that is their own choice.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by 1A-Asleep
As you claim to be a BA employee I am at a loose end as to why you have posted on here! Its not an ideal situation admittedly and surely by posting you are drawing attention to this situation on a public board?

Surely you have internal ways of addressing your concerns and questions?

General BA staff are not in the best place to know about how frequent flyers are treated. This would be the same in any large corporation. There are many flyers with all types of experience on this forum that may contribute a view. BA staff at discounted rates and would not normally be in a position to request for compensation, etc.

We would like to keep the forum as a place for gaining useful information not one with insinuations

Last edited by KenJohn; Feb 12, 2012 at 3:53 pm
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by BAWatersideGuy
I think my intentions have been misunderstood.

I felt genuinely bad about what had happened and, knowing how many miles he racks up with BA, felt a pang of guilt when he relayed how he had been fobbed off by a few different CS agents.

However, my post was in no way in my capacity as a BA employee - it never is. Instead it was more out of curiosity as to whether the operational process of the reroute was standard practice. I do not work in flight ops of any kind so do not have experience of this.

I take posters' points regarding his compensation if he chose to travel to LHR on his own. It so happened he had to be in London for a wedding that afternoon and so could not accept the overnight stay and following day flight.

I hope you will accept this was more to get FTer's views and experience rather than to bring any failings of my employer into the public eye!

BAWG

P.S Totally OT - happy to see I have hit my 100 post mark after only 2 months - hopefully I am doing my bit at contributing to the community ^
BAWatersideGuy, I think your posting here is commendable. It is good to see BA employees from different areas of the company posting honestly and openly. And yes, I believe you have made a significant contribution - I have certainly learned from you and have enjoyed reading your posts! Carry on with the good work.

rb211.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
There is zero reason for the BA guy to feel bad. If someone flys a lot they know there is a risk of diversions and plans having to change. The important thing is that BA got him on the ground safely and agreed to give 275 compensation to complete his journey which will be adequate for most people. I used to get annoyed by weather diversions, but after going through a scary emergency landing, aborted takeoffs, and seeing other passengers suffer a heart attack and stroke on board flights - I am just thankful to get home safe after each trip. Remember to count your blessings.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 4:25 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by BAWatersideGuy
After deboarding he had to travel by cab to Glasgow which was nearest Avis place that they could get him a car and then drove 5hrs back to LHR.
There is an AVIS Station at PIK and they had cars available that day. I find this part of the story most interesting. Even so, if the customer wanted to rent a car from PIK, and they didn't have it available, an AVIS Employee would be instructed to drive the car from GLA to PIK for the customer.

He has only been offered 275. How can this be right? It doesnt even cover his costs for the detour, cab and delay.
A taxi from PIK to GLA Airport (the closest AVIS station after PIK) would cost about 45. Car Rental, about 100 at the most. Petrol, at about 100 as well (and this is being generous with allowances).

I think the customer has been compensated enough after they 'went it alone' IMO.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by meester69
?????

The airline has a responsibility to get the passenger to his destination on time.
You might wish to re-check the Conditions of Carriage.

Diverting, whether it be to Timbuktu or Glasgow Prestwick, does not fulfil the contract to get the passenger to his contracted destination.
Getting him to London the next day would. If the passenger in question chooses to walk away before BA have the opportunity to complete their part of the deal.....

It was not beyond BA's control, they had to divert SOME flights, but those flights were selected by BA, not BAA.
BA had no choice in the matter. Only one stand released by BAA means all flights divert. And all flights were told to divert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.