Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Offered upgrade to FIRST for £380 - take it??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I was offered an upgrade from CW to First at checkin from Mumbai for 30k rupees (approx £380). Declined it but now sitting int he lounge on the verge of asking if it is still available !! It was new First on the way out, so assume it would be same on the way back (BA 198)
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:02 am

I would ask, if I were you. Sure, you might get an OpUp at the gate (as they are clearly looking to move people forward) but you are Blue, so possibly not.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:17 am

That question can only be answered by how much £380 means to you. For some it's a lot, for others, its a pee in the ocean.

For me, with my own money, and if travelling alone, I wouldn't (and I love NF). I just wouldn't pay circa £38 an hour extra;that's not far off being a crispy new £50 note per hour just for a slightly different seat. WT+ v CW wwould be a different argument though!

But then, and I don't mind admitting it, I'm an Avios junkie - all my F travel is always on Avios alone, not even MFUs.

Last edited by 747_not_777; Feb 10, 2012 at 12:27 am
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:21 am

Programs: BA gold
If you want the miles (approx 2000 more?), and the tier points to help you get to the next tier (210 versus 140), then by all means go for it if you won't miss the £380.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:26 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by FliGuy
I was offered an upgrade from CW to First at checkin from Mumbai for 30k rupees (approx £380). Declined it but now sitting int he lounge on the verge of asking if it is still available !! It was new First on the way out, so assume it would be same on the way back (BA 198)
day flight yes (esp if you've never flown F before), night flight no.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747_not_777
That question can only be answered by how much £380 means to you. For some it's a lot, for others, its a pee in the ocean.

For me, with my own money, and if travelling alone, I wouldn't (and I love NF). I just wouldn't pay circa £38 an hour extra;that's not far off being a crispy new £50 note per hour just for a slightly different seat.

But then, and I don't mind admitting it, I'm an Avios junkie - all my F travel is always on Avios alone, not even MFUs.
Yeah, I'm kind thinking the same. Just found out my fridge freezer packed in while away, so the money will be better spent on that I think !
Re getting more adios and miles - I don't think I would get them for this type of upgrade (paid at the airport) ?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by FliGuy
... Re getting more adios and miles - I don't think I would get them for this type of upgrade (paid at the airport) ?
Yes you would ... and I wouldn't hesitate at that price.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
I was offered an upgrade from CW (10J) to F (1E) at the gate eight weeks ago for BA154 CAI-LHR.

As it was offered at GBP0.00 I had no hesitation in accepting it!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:59 am

I have a J tomorrow which is showing F1A0J0C0W4Y2.... I'm optimistic, but have my favourite seat in J anyway.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:56 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I got this offer on this route last week and declined. It was a business trip and the ~$600 would have needed to come out of my own pocket. I had a good seat upstairs- if I had been in a rammed dormitory it might have been a different story.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:48 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
I vote for YES, especially if you haven't flown F before
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I had a decent CW seat with extra legroom, I wouldn't bother. If stuck in aisle in the dorm, then yes,
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:17 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
I was offered an upgrade from CW (10J) to F (1E) at the gate eight weeks ago for BA154 CAI-LHR.

As it was offered at GBP0.00 I had no hesitation in accepting it!
Did you actually have a choice?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes you would ... and I wouldn't hesitate at that price.
Are you sure about that?? I have taken a couple of online or check-in upgrade offers only to find out on the fine print that the original Avios and points still applied! Did this both on Y to CE, and on AA domestic...

For that reason nowadays I pass any offer of upgrading for a fee at the airport unless it's something like $100 from WT to WT+ on a SIN-LHR flight.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by RafKa
Are you sure about that??
Yes, if it is on BA metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.