Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is this a bug, or is BA just really expensive on one-way tickets going via London?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a bug, or is BA just really expensive on one-way tickets going via London?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC, MM, HH, MB
Originally Posted by martinfoss
For an upcoming trip, I needed to go from FRA to OSL, and did a search on ba.com. Lowest price, over 800 Euros!!
You should think about Air Berlin. A quick search on swoodoo.com got me a 1 Stop Flight FRA-BER-OSL OW for 77EUR.

You will get miles for BA, too.

S.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Read my post again: If I spilt it, I can fly DUS-LHR for 70 EUR, and LHR-OSL for 75 GBP.
Yes, but pricing is done by fare buckets, not class, so again the fare bucket available on one leg is unavailable on the next leg, pushing you up into CE instead.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:43 pm
Bukhara

Last edited by Bukhara; Jul 23, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lucifer UK
Yes, but pricing is done by fare buckets, not class, so again the fare bucket available on one leg is unavailable on the next leg, pushing you up into CE instead.
No it isn't. It is due to the fact that only the business class fare from LHR-OSL can be combined with another international fare.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
It's not anything to do with BA's pricing but more to do with some Euro bureaucratic nonsense which makes certain one way fares inside Europe very expensive. Try a FRA-ZRH flight and you won't get anything cheaper than several hundred pounds on LH....an IB flight from MAD-ZRH suffers a similar fate.....over £400.
With due respect, HIDDY, this is pure, undiluted nonsense. EU law in the field has done exactly the reverse of what you say, viz. it has liberalised air fares so that airlines within the EU (and some neighbouring countries) are entirely free to set whichever fares they wish on intra-EU routes.
It is purely commecial policy by the airlines concerned that keeps certain fares high.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bukhara
It's not a bug.

As has been said, BA does not typically publish through-fares for international Europe -> Europe connections via LHR (other than ex-ROI, there very few exceptions).

The problem stopping you from getting a discounted fare is that your journey is being priced as two oneway fares. These two oneway fares, under BA's current fare structure, do not combine on the same ticket. A discounted oneway fare will only combine with a full J class oneway fare, hence the eye watering quote. Previously, such combinations have been possible but must be well over a year since this was no longer the case. It will not quote as a roundtrip (even something as simple as DUS-LHR-AMS) due to international openjaw at point of origin.

Two return journeys should combine on the same ticket (you could price FRA-LHR-FRA together with LHR-OSL-LHR). Otherwise, your best bet is to buy two separate tickets (with the obvious risks they entail).
Interesting. Thanks Bukhara for this explanation. I was surprised as I recall seeing fairly cheap one way AMS-LON-MRS combined fares but that would have been quite a while ago so that fits.

I can see the commercial logic when most European legacy carriers do not offer discounted economy one-way fares. Scandinavia would be an exception, though, with SK offering such fares so this is one market where you would have expected BA to keep to previous policy.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NickB
With due respect, HIDDY, this is pure, undiluted nonsense. EU law in the field has done exactly the reverse of what you say, viz. it has liberalised air fares so that airlines within the EU (and some neighbouring countries) are entirely free to set whichever fares they wish on intra-EU routes.
It is purely commecial policy by the airlines concerned that keeps certain fares high.
Yes as you say it could be nonsense.

I seem to recall reading something a while back saying there was a reason for these astronomical one way fares on certain routes and it wasn't the airlines doing. Seems crazy in the days of competing with LCC's they should continue to offer direct one way fares like FRA-ZRH, MAD-ZRH and others for hundreds of pounds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.